Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To access the battery is pretty straight forward and does not require any tools. Here are 3 photos showing the sequence in the coupe.

First go to the right rear of the trunk (see red arrow) and gently pull the carpeting slowly away from the wall. [Elegant had the opportunity to discuss this with Harlan's assistant, Phil Minch and he said that the key is not pulling the carpet up, but "straight out/away" -- that pulling it "up" is what is causing some tearing their carpets.]
P1000094.jpg

Next lift up and remove the foam cover over the battery (this has the cut out for the Tow hook screw that is not part of US cars)
P1000095.jpg

Violà, there is the battery

P1000097.jpg

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I might add, to not tear the carpet, pull up on Jeff's red arrow and then then BACK (not up) from the plastic per my sloppy black arrow...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Thanks guys! I haven't needed to look at at mine or access it, but now I know where and how. :)

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most welcome Gregg, it is always nice to know just in case :D

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
This forum is great, and this is just one of the many examples of why.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Doh! That sucks man! Now I'm even more grateful to jsvette for posting and Glen's squiggly black arrow!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Canadians don't get a tow hook either.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Jeff, great post! When my battery went south, the driver jumped it and in the process cracked my foam and creased the carpet. Marine Chevrolet replaced everything. Try not to set anything heavy in that corner, it might cracked your foam cover.

SF
Rick

Reactions: elegant

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff, great post! When my battery went south, the driver jumped it and in the process cracked my foam and creased the carpet. Marine Chevrolet replaced everything. Try not to set anything heavy in that corner, it might cracked your foam cover.

SF
Rick
Thanks Rick. Good thought re the foam cover, though it would seem hard to get something heavy enough to have all of its weight just on the foam cover.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Chip, I found out the hard way they were located under the hood.

SF
Rick
The manual recommends directly using the connections to the battery in the trunk for a dead or run down battery on our Stingrays. See owners manual pages starting at 10-65 through 10-67.

·
Registered
220 Posts
To access the battery is pretty straight forward and does not require any tools. Here are 3 photos showing the sequence in the coupe.

First go to the right rear of the trunk (see red arrow) and gently pull the carpeting slowly away from the wall. [Elegant had the opportunity to discuss this with Harlan's assistant, Phil Minch and he said that the key is not pulling the carpet up, but "straight out/away" -- that pulling it "up" is what is causing some tearing their carpets.]
View attachment 11945

Next lift up and remove the foam cover over the battery (this has the cut out for the Tow hook screw that is not part of US cars)
View attachment 11946

Violà, there is the battery

View attachment 11947
Jsvette,
Thanks for the pictures. I started to pull the carpet "up" and back like you said but couldn't pull it far enough out of the way to remove the battery if I needed to because the plastic cover over what seems to be the wheel well are holding the carpet from pulling it further. How do you get the carpet back further, and if you do, how do you get it back under?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts