Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014_chevrolet_corvette_f34_ns_805132_1600.jpg

MILFORD, Michigan — Safety engineers from General Motors are taking a hard look at a 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray that was involved in the car's "most serious" real-world crash to date. The Corvette was involved in a crash with a Lincoln Town Car last week on a public road in Madison Heights, Michigan, GM confirmed. The all-new, seventh-generation Corvette has yet to be in any customers' hands, as the car does not go on sale until this fall.

Continue Reading @ GM Engineers Scrutinizing 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray After Street Crash | Edmunds.com

·
Registered
758 Posts
I read an article today on Automotive News, that gave body shops a "tip" about carbon fiber... Laughable really...

Charles Child at Automotive News said:
But body shop technicians at dealerships, take note: the inner and outer halves of the hood and the outer panel of the roof are carbon fiber.

If these parts are damaged in a crash, they can’t be repaired, says Mike Regiec, senior manager, global body in white, at GM. Unlike metal, carbon fiber is brittle and can’t be bent back into shape.

The answer, said Regiec, over dinner at Grand Traverse Resort on Sunday: Simply replace the damaged carbon-fiber parts with new ones.
Biggest News Story of the Year
Thanks Regiec... I didn't know that carbon fiber couldn't be bent back into shape. I also thought that dogs laid eggs... I learned something today.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds to me like they're OK with cornering the repair market and making it to where shops will have to order a new replacement GM parts instead of using some ol' elbow grease. Sounds like higher repair costs and insurance are in our future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts