1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
That's great but unless I read something to the contrary this is all futures and will leave those of us with 2014's high and dry.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Well you 2014 pioneers, you know what they say about pioneers. They lay dead by the side of the trail with arrows in their backs.

Does this mean that we will be able to used Tuned In radio, and, better yet, Google Maps for navigation?

Reactions: Ragtop

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
as long as chev sells Nav for the vette you will never get Google maps on the display ...that's just business...it'll come, but chev has to figure out a way not to lose the revenue stream from Nav..virtually every car company is struggling with this now...most likely nav will go away and a price increase buried in the msrp...but remember there are tons of people that don't read forums, and want to do this app stuff...hell, several here still complain about not having a CD slot!

·
Registered
817 Posts
As long as this strategy applies to 2015 C-7s (and prior, ideally) I think I like this change. Using the car's display as an interface to smartphones would be great! Presumably applications like Google maps running on a smartphone would then be able to be displayed/controlled from the car's display. And not being forced to have a data plan for the car is equally great!

·
Registered
817 Posts
as long as chev sells Nav for the vette you will never get Google maps on the display ...that's just business...it'll come, but chev has to figure out a way not to lose the revenue stream from Nav..virtually every car company is struggling with this now...most likely nav will go away and a price increase buried in the msrp...but remember there are tons of people that don't read forums, and want to do this app stuff...hell, several here still complain about not having a CD slot!
This will be a huge issue...at some point I think the car manufactures will come to the conclusion that the marketplace will doom proprietary navigation systems. Let's hope sooner than later.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Hallelujah! GM has seen the light! This is great news, as long as GM follows through with it.

I have to dig out a post I made about this some time ago and link it here. Essentially, it said for GM to focus on its core competency (building cars) and leverage other companies whose core competency is app. development to do the apps.

This is a great, logical move which will increase the appeal of such equipped cars to a more tech-savvy demographic.

Reactions: 007's VET

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
GM should consider a better way to sell On Star such as having ala carte services and/or buy as needed. I don't really need it around town but it would be nice to have the option to purchase services for a trip, especially when traveling to areas where cell service is spotty.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
It is post #8 here: http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...t-customer-service-pertaining-nav-system.html

It was specifically written in the context of navigation, yet the logical extension is to leverage any type of app. development from someone else who is already doing the work, and who are REALLY good at it (it is part of their core competency). In essence, don't try to reinvent the wheel, especially since your wheel will not be as good as the wheels others are already making.

I am going to totally fall in love with GM infotainment systems when they become the in-dash, input/output touch/video screen front-ends to my mobile phone.

It is just too bad that my wife's ATS will not get the benefit. Maybe it will be time for her to trade in a year or two? :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Thanks CruznCorvette for the article and heads up on this. Over the past several months I've read numerous posts from others regarding the navigation systems in GM vehicles and quite frankly wondered why GM hadn't considered turning to Apple and/or Google for either assistance or partnerships rather than attempting to go it on their own. I've got to admit, it got downright depressing while reading many of the posts and I actually reached a point where I began considering ordering my new Z06 without the Navigation system and PDR altogether. I began feeling like GM was roping customers into subscribing to OnStar in order to make or cause many of the features to work properly. Then concluding, well, I guess I'm going to have to subscribe if I want everything to work in the car.....

I think, even though the article didn't come right out and say it, that GM is in fact reading many of the posts and listening to their customers and all those negative posts over the past several months didn't fall on deaf ears. I'd like to believe GM is listening and I salute them for that. Isn't life GRAND, and isn't it an incredible time to be in a position to take part in all of this? While writing this post I noticed Rodney jumped in ahead of me. See Rodney, they are paying attention :).

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I don't know if they are so much paying attention as it is that they already have many people working for them who look at the market, look at the business side, and come to the same conclusions on their own.

I truly believe GM has a lot of great people working there, and the company is headed in the right direction!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
From the article linked in post #1:

"So what precipitated GM’s change of heart? Chan said it was timing.

Automakers have long development cycles and when GM was developing its infotainment strategy, CarPlay and Android Auto didn’t even exist as concepts. Both programs were only officially announced at Google’s perspective developer events this year, and it was around that time that GM decided to switch gears, Chan said."

So, this was already in works from earlier this year, long before we had the threads on here complaining about the NAV.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If people want to "be connected", try grabbing the stearing wheel for a change.

Save "being connected" for when you're NOT driving.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
If people want to "be connected", try grabbing the stearing wheel for a change.

Save "being connected" for when you're NOT driving.
I agree that emailing, texting, surfing the web, et cetera while driving would be foolish.

But using a navigation device while driving is something that many people do. To me, that is what having an in-car data connection means. At least, that is the reason I want it (navigation with real-time traffic overlays on the map).

·
Registered
392 Posts
However, inputting data or destination info into a GPS while driving is just as distracting as texting, calling, reading, or whatever people do behind the wheel besides driving.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
However, inputting data or destination info into a GPS while driving is just as distracting as texting, calling, reading, or whatever people do behind the wheel besides driving.
I agree. It should be done before taking the car out of park.

Reactions: rohard

·
Registered
952 Posts
I am pretty sure you can add and delete On-Star at will on a monthly basis..I know I upped my level of On-star for a trip I was going to take where Cell service was spotty at best and I wanted the phone capability..when I got back went back to cheaper plan...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I am confused. I always thought that OnStar operated through the cellular telephone system. So if cell phone service is spotty, why will OnStar be less spotty? Because it uses a more powerful transmitter and better receiver? Better antenna?

My GMC pick up truck has a deactivated OnStar, and the antenna is a short rod sticking up from the roof. Where is the Corvette antenna on the coupe? Convertible?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts