Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yes, I have. I think it was the seal around the fuel sending unit. Very strong fuel smell especially when parked in a closed garage. Repair required disassembling the rear half of the undercarriage and dropping both tanks. A real PITA. Dealer did a good job but car was out of service for several weeks.

Added: Just checked at mychevrolet.com and my car has the extended special warranty for this issue. Already been repaired once for a fuel leak on top of the left tank so I hope I don't have a repeat occurrence. Not an attorney but I feel this is a very serious potential safety issue. If you smell raw fuel, take your car to a GM dealer immediately.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
18,670 Posts
Regrettably, Corvette999, the letter you received is not unique. Might we soon and hopefully learn that it went only to a very limited batch of left tank side flanges (or whatever), or will this unfold in an issue relating to more than a few isolated C7s?

So far about ten people have gotten “the letter.” Here it is (at least the GM Canada version). GM is now referring to this as a “Special Coverage Program # 17469 which extends the warranty to 120,000 miles, 10 years, as per below.

4D5D2B7B-55FD-4D85-BC52-888280456D6A.jpeg

·
18,670 Posts
While the above letter only refers to 2016’s, one owner of a 2017 GS said he went on line and his is covered by the Special Program extra coverage (and as per an update below, this effects our 2015 Z06 too).

Facts are unfolding fast and furiously on this situation this afternoon. We know that some within the U.S. have also received this notification letter.

The two symptoms are fuel leaks onto the ground/garage floor and unexplained gasoline odors.

To check if you Corvette is effected (meaning you will soon get ‘the letter’), or if would want to know right now whether your car will be part of this repair program, if you not already done so register your car at chevrolet.com, enter your VIN, and you will see if they added the 10yr/120K mile Special Coverage Program # 17469 to it. Or call Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center...

It appears, and this is based on very limited/early information, that GM has experienced this problem on more than isolated C7’s. We see the above letter going out at least to some 2016 C7 owners, but just additionally learned that we also have a 2015 owner (JMhornz71) and a 2017 owner (pasquale91) have online seen that they have received this extra Special Coverage by going on line to my.chevrolet.com.

·
18,670 Posts
I just got off the phone with Chevrolet Customer Assistance, and learned a bunch of information starting with our 2015 Z06 being effected, and thus receiving additional length of warranty as a result of the special coverage.

*Our vehicle now is covered up to 120,000 miles or up through December 15, 2024 (10 years);

*Chevrolet is calling this an extended service warranty;

* It covers the left side fuel tank and attendent parts, including the primary fuel pump, though is primarily for cracks on the top of the tank itself;

* Symptoms include: check engine light; smelling fuel vapor; and/or fuel leaks on the surface below the car.

Whether this extended service warranty covers hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands of C7’s is not something I could learn (but I am sure we will learn this through media coverage over the next few weeks).

Hope your C7 does not have this same potential issue!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I went online earlier and have the extended coverage. I have not received a letter yet though.

Update: My last 6 of VIN are 122818
Build Date 05/13/2015

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1526776302.214810.jpg

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Pretty limited extended warranty for certain vehicles and:

"* It covers the left side fuel tank and attendent parts, including the primary fuel pump, though is primarily for cracks on the top of the tank itself;"

Good for 120,000 miles. I'm not included. Bet they targeted the problem well.

UPDATE: Now I see my 2014 is included. See post 27.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Bad to hear that mine is included. :'(

Mine's a 2016 Stingray. Build date 11/2015. No notice in the mail yet, but I can see online that the warranty extension has been added to my car.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Bad to hear that mine is included. ��
Looks like your covered if this big repair is needed. I recall a member in Hawaii that had this issue. There wasn't any place he could get the work done. I remember from those postings that getting to the fuel tanks in these cars is a huge job.

West coast, HI. Can't be transportation related.

·
18,670 Posts
One person had his repaired, and it was $2,300 and a long time to get it done. It is a very significant job to get to the parts and replace them.

·
18,670 Posts
Can all please update above existing posts, and in all future posts, include your vehicle’s date of manufacture and model? Let us see if we could possibility get our arms around any common parameters (for inclusion and exclusion).

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
And sadly mine is listed based on my particular warranty addition to 120K miles and July 2025 . And no notification to date to me in the form of a letter..
2015 C7 ,Z51 Vert. Believe the Mfg date was 3-11-2015 in plant 5.
Going by odor may be tough for me as i garage my vehicle with several others some of them over 50 years old so the odor of gasoline is pretty much a normal occurrence in my garage.
Looks like I'm putting some fresh cardboard down under the rear of mine to check for leaks going forward.

And today my letter arrived 05-26-18..

Last time i waited for a letter with such anticipation it came from Uncle Sam in the early 70's...

Reactions: Ateupjoe

·
Registered
631 Posts
Mine is showing the warranty in effect. 2015, Z51, no. 2131, built August 2014.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I received the letter yesterday.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
No letter, yet. But the web site says I am covered. My car is a 2015 Z51 roadster built in October 2014.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts