Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
15,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From GM Authority press release September 21, 2019
The UAW’s GM strike has hit production facilities across the nation, with picketing union members closing down plants and blocking access for anyone attempting to cross the picket line. In a show of solidarity, the Teamsters have joined the UAW and stated that members will “honor [the UAW’s] picket lines.” Now, we’re learning that the GM strike is affecting GM parts availability, which could leave some collision shops and insurers in limbo.

The GM parts availability issue was confirmed in an email this week, with General Motors senior communications manager Jim Cain addressing it directly, writing:

“Negotiations between GM and the UAW continue but our ability to ship parts from our distribution facilities is limited. Our dealers have a limited supply of parts, however, we are supplementing customer needs with inventories from a group of wholesale dealers and ACDelco Distributors.”

Cain went on to indicate that there are over 300 wholesale GM dealers offering “large stocks of collision and repair parts for sale to other dealers and the independent after market.”

Just last month, GM launched a new service parts processing center in Burton, Michigan, but it too has reportedly been affected by the latest GM strike. When it’s finally back up and running at full capacity, the new processing center is expected to average upwards of 100 inbound and 55 outbound deliveries daily.

Yesterday, we reported that despite the recent GM strike, production of the 2020 Corvette C8 would almost certainly not be delayed, despite assertions from other publications to the contrary. We believe this is still the case, even when considering the statements made in Cain’s email, as although some suppliers may be delayed by the GM strike, they are still under contract to provide parts by a certain date, and therefore won’t delay C8 production in the long term.

For now, the GM strike is in its fifth day. Contract negotiations between the UAW and GM are ongoing, but progress is reportedly slow-going.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Not what i wanted to hear but not surprising. Day 23 waiting for my vehicle sitting in pieces waiting for a stater for the delayed engagement issue.
Anyone know if there are aftermarket staters that i could encourage them to use instead of waiting for GM?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not what i wanted to hear but not surprising. Day 23 waiting for my vehicle sitting in pieces waiting for a stater for the delayed engagement issue.
Anyone know if there are aftermarket staters that i could encourage them to use instead of waiting for GM?

You could check with an auto parts store and I would think they could provide some via alternatives. However, I'm not sure your GM dealer would agree to install it. Worth checking out.

·
Registered
867 Posts
They can't be happy having a C7 in pieces sitting in the transmission shop for weeks or months waiting for the strike to end. They need that space to generate income. They want quick turn over to generate income from the area i imagine...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Latest update as of today per the TSB they are ordering a new transmission, TC etc for my C7. Bad news is no idea when it will be shipped due to the strike. Car is up in the air with the entire rear end out of it and i am driving a 2020 Blazer for the immediate future.
While this sounds terrible it is actually great if they in fact just replace the entire system with the newest and updated drive train parts. My fear was that they would piece meal the repair one part at a time. And i am grateful i have a loaner car to use as my DD.
Now should i replace the rear taillights with the clear lens Z06 tail lights while the back end is apart???

·
Administrator
15,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That, despite the unknown delay 15snow-ray, is good news.

·
Registered
867 Posts
In speaking to the Service writer he mentioned that in the going back and forth with GM regarding my car at first they could not find my Vin # in their records. Sometime later they claimed a "glitch" in the computer system occurred and they were finally able to locate it. Interesting as the car was a GM Executive car by their own documentation for the first year and registered as such in their system.
Few days ago they said the probable fix was going to be the stater however I pointed out that according to the TSB if the tech is unable to find a cause the course of action should be the full replacement of the transmission etc. I requested the tech print outs of the testing scope per the TSB and today the let me know about the complete replacement of the drive line. Coincidence? Honestly don't care as long as it is done and I can get my C7 back under my roof and care.
So far satisfied but hoping the strike doesn't go on for months as that scenario has already been mentioned by the service writer.. Not likely any other dealers are going to give up a transmission for them as they will keep them for themselves.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I can also confirm first-hand that the strike is affecting GM Parts. Although, my situation is not as dire as 15snow-ray's (and others, I am sure). I thought that I was a victim of the dreaded Grand Sport & Z06 cracked rim debacle. My local service person informed me that: 1. GM was not covering the cracked rims as a warranty item. 2. They would not be able to get them through GM Parts anyway.

I do know that service departments are sharing parts as much as possible to help customers get back on the road. Obviously, this probably only helps for minor repair issues.

Ripple affect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bad news for all especially me as on a road trip a stone broke my windshield on my ZO6. My glass company and my dealer can’t find one. Hopefully the strike will soon be resolved.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The drama continues for me. They found and purchased a trans from a dealer in Texas. Arrived today to the dealer in LA . It was damaged and unusable. They are looking for other transmissions around the Country.
Service writer advised they are looking at GM re-manufactured units. Anyone know if I have to take a re-manufactured Trans and TC over a brand new one??

·
Registered
867 Posts
The drama continues for me at day 26 in the dealers shop. They found and purchased a trans from a dealer in Texas. Arrived today to the dealer in LA . It was damaged and unusable. They are looking for other transmissions around the Country.
Service writer advised they are looking at GM re-manufactured units. Anyone know if I have to take a re-manufactured Trans and TC over a brand new one??
Each day I am sorry as hell i even started this nightmare. The delayed engagement wasn't anywhere near the issue this has become. Once it engaged the first time it wasn't a problem. I should have just ignored it and enjoyed my car. This is going to haunt me for a long time i am afraid. I can see a whole new set of issues once this is "fixed" .

·
Registered
97 Posts
The order for my new 2020 Corvette Stingray went into GM on 9/12/2019, and is currently at oder status 3000. Since actual, full production is not scheduled to start until the week on 12/2, on wonder what affect, if any, this will have on delivery? Anyone want to speculate?

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Each day I am sorry as hell i even started this nightmare. The delayed engagement wasn't anywhere near the issue this has become. Once it engaged the first time it wasn't a problem. I should have just ignored it and enjoyed my car. This is going to haunt me for a long time i am afraid. I can see a whole new set of issues once this is "fixed" .
I have a saying that I have used since I was in my early 20s: "If it is broken, but not broken too badly, don't try to fix it."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts