Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
17,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Courtesy of GM Authority by Sam Mceachern

According to a post on the official GM Techlink site, the timing for customers to receive reimbursement for the first service visit has been increased from 12 months to 24 months. There have not been any changes to the recommended maintenance schedule.

The first service visit for the C8 Corvette Stingray, which is covered by GM, includes one engine oil and filter change, using Mobil1 oil and an ACDelco filter, a transmission fluid filter change and a multi-point inspection. As we noted back in 2020 when the C8 Corvette Stingray first hit the market, the first scheduled engine oil change for the C8 Corvette Stingray is recommended at 7,500 miles, while the first transmission fluid filter change is also recommended at 7,500 miles. The first transmission fluid change is not recommended until the vehicle reaches 45,000 miles.

It’s not clear why this change was made, although it seems likely that many Corvette owners did not reach the suggested oil /transmission fluid change mileage of 7,500 miles in the first year and thus would have missed out on receiving full reimbursement for the service visit.

GM advises C8 Corvette Stingray owners to follow the vehicle’s electronic Oil Life Monitoring system to ensure their oil is changed at the appropriate time. A break-in oil change after 500 miles is not needed, with GM telling owners to stick to the recommendation of 7,500 miles instead. The vehicle’s computer will also monitor transmission fluid life and notify the user if it needs changing.

GM previously released a one-minute, 40-second long video that details some of the basics that go into Corvette’s first maintenance visit. Owners or Corvette fans that are curious about the maintenance procedures can check out the video embedded below to learn a bit more about this process.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,443 Posts
Because of that 24-month extended time for free service some had suggested cars with only 2000 to 4000 miles paying for the 1st engine oil change and getting the FREE service year 2. However, at the most recent GM Bash at a C8 Maintenance seminar the GM rep said to have both done when your 1st engine oil change is required. GM may be concluding, as I did, that with many DCT CELs requiring a flush smarter to have the DCT filter changed early along with the required flush!

That is the decision I made August 2021 to have the FREE service with ~3500 miles on my 1-year-old C8:
  1. I realized that year 3 you MUST, per the Owner's Manual, have all 11 quarts of DCT fluid changed. Good to change the filter and replace the ~8 oz of dirty fluid in the filter container then.
  2. I also was concerned about a number of forum reports of DCT CEL's, folks had that required a flush.
  3. I had observed a slight jerkiness when crawling into my garage for about 800 miles- after, as now, it's perfectly smooth.

So suggest doing what I believe is logical and prudent.
  1. Year 1whnen OLM indicates and engine oil change is required, have both engine oil and DCT filter changed (with GM required flush) on GM's Dime.
  2. Year 2 pay the dealer to just change engine oil or do it yourself
  3. Year 3 when the 11 quarts of DCT fluid are being replaced, have the engine oil AND DCT filter changed again when in my case will have ~7000 miles on my 1st year new filter. Think it's better (although not essential) to change the DCT filter and ~8 oz of dirty fluid in the filter housing and have a flush when all DCT fluid is replaced.
SIDEBAR
One of my concern and desire to have the DCT filter changed early was the somewhat jerky motion for the 1st ~800 miles when I was driving at very slow speeds (<4 mph) as I crawled into the garage carefully controlling the driver's door mirror tip to gaarge door wood molding for 1 to 2 inches so i was assured plenty of clearence on the harder to see passenger mirror tip. (Note I have to turn 90 degrees from the driveway and make a "K" turn to do that. Car is NOT perfectly perpendicular.) In addition, IMO the high initial wear parts, like the clutch disks (particularly 1st gear as it is slipping whenever below 4 to 5 mph and when stopped for a red light etc.) There are also 8 sets of Sychron cones (some tipple) a set for each gear, shift forks that slide on shafts and the gears etc.

After than initial 800 to 1000 miles low speeds, as now, are perfectly smooth so intial wear and matting of metal parts is mostly completed, GM says it's requred at7500 miles so year three when all DCT fluid has to be changed (to replace antifoam and other depleted additives) I'll have that DCT filter changed again along with the 8 oz of dirty flid left in the filter housing. That will satisfy the 7500-mile GM change requirement.
Automotive tire Circuit component Engineering Font Hardware programmer

Reactions: jsvette

·
Administrator
17,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jerry. Makes perfect sense (y)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts