Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now that Spring appears to have actually "sprung" here in the former frozen tundra of the PRNJ, and the forecast for this weekend is warm and sunny, was planning to detail and take the top off of my baby...

the one that's still here...

the other one just took a hike, (thank god), so I am going to be doing this by myself until I find a nice girl.....

I know it's possible to take off/put on solo, and from what I have read should not be that difficult...but reading and doing are two different things...

Is it as straight forward as it appears in the manual, or is there anything I should watch out for on either removal or re-install with no assistance?

Thanks.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Just be careful if the wind is blowing.. It'll act like a sail. Practice at home, it's easy enough.

Reactions: elegant

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
Well, now that Spring appears to have actually "sprung" here in the former frozen tundra of the PRNJ, and the forecast for this weekend is warm and sunny, was planning to detail and take the top off of my baby...

the one that's still here...

the other one just took a hike, (thank god), so I am going to be doing this by myself until I find a nice girl.....

I know it's possible to take off/put on solo, and from what I have read should not be that difficult...but reading and doing are two different things...

Is it as straight forward as it appears in the manual, or is there anything I should watch out for on either removal or re-install with no assistance?

Thanks.
I do it all the time with RedHot. It is really very easy especially after you have done it a couple of times. Just be sure that you follow the straight forward steps: put down your windows, lower the sun visors, pull the two front windshield handles to release the front, press the button on the catch at the rear of the panel. Then open your trunk, and with the drivers door open push gently on the bottom front of the panel to get it to pop up. Next with good footing, place one hand under the center of the front edge and ease the panel forward to allow you to grab as near as you can to the center of the rear of the panel and lift straight up. Once you have cleared the body, I hold the panel so it is tilted sidewise and be sure you are stay clear of the body and the rear trunk lid and walk to the back of your car. Then slowly put the front edge of the panel into the right and left catches that are midway up towards the front of the trunk and lower the back until it clicks into the two rear catches along the inside of the back trunk lip. Once you have done it, you can pop the rear back up and leave the front hinging on the two side brackets so you can put stuff under the panel on the trunk floor if you would like to. Just be sure to re-snap the rear of the panel down to secure it before you close the trunk lid. Putting it back on is somewhat the reverse steps. The one thing to be careful of especially the first couple of times you do it, is to ensure that after you rest the panel on the front top of the windshield (again having your windows down) and the back end of the panel on the rear weather stripping, is to look under the top BEFORE you attempt to push it home and see that the two rear 'male' connectors on each side of the panel are lined up with the two 'female' connectors on the frame. Once you are sure they are, push gently down on the front of the panel at the front of the windshield and it should smoothly slide down while engaging the rear. Push first on one side at the front and then go and push on the other side of the front. It should snug down nicely and be flush all across the windshield and the rear of the panel. Next close the front latches and finally the center rear latch. You will know you have done it properly when you can easily have the rear latch mechanism snap cleanly closed. If you want to ensure you did it right the first couple of times, press the button on the rear latch and it should snap open- if it doesn't and you have to pull it open, then your rear connectors were not properly aligned with the female receivers.

Again. this may read somewhat complex, but after you have done it a few times it is really easy. Best of luck!:cool:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I can ony see the top being a problem for a very short person. Anyone over 5'7 or so should have no problem whatsoever. The weight is very manageable for a single set of hands...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pretty easy to do. Like the others said, practice a few times to get comfortable, then enjoy going topless!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
One of the posts about getting to know your vette has a video showing how to put the roof on and off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most definitely don't get in a hurry and forget to engage the latches when you put it back on.... A friend of mine forgot to do so and so course flew off as he was driving down an expressway and was run over numerous times!

·
18,669 Posts
Here GM video on top removal and re-attaching. If you have never done this process before, viewing the video is worthwhile, though, frankly, afterwards, I would re-read "jsvette's"'s post above, as it contains a couple of steps that the video leaves out. Once you have done the process a couple of times, very easy.

Want to underscore "Dasyatis"'s comments, for if you find yourself in a very windy area, it could fly out of your hands or slam into a part of your car when there is an unexpected strong wind gust. Under those conditions, consider a second person partnership (if available).

·
Registered
957 Posts
I can ony see the top being a problem for a very short person. Anyone over 5'7 or so should have no problem whatsoever. The weight is very manageable for a single set of hands...
I agree at 5'3" it is very difficult for me to manage on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
993 Posts
I agree at 5'3" it is very difficult for me to manage on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum
I bet all you need to do is smile and you'll get more help than you know what to do with:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts