Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Well let me first say this is not for everyone. I have already been this route with my camaro and I think with a purchase this big it's about being happy with what you own and taking pride in it!

I do a lot of car shows and you got to have a bit of flair... Otherwise you look like everyone else.

I will not be lighting up the underside but some tasteful glow here and there is ok by me.

Since I have to take the car apart and solder some custom wiring harnesses this thread will be active for a few days.

I will be happy to PM anyone my parts list since the vendor I have been using for 10+ years is not an official sponsor.

And yes red and blue will raise the risk for a friendly chat with the officers but it has an off button and I can make them all go white if I want to cruise the strip.

What are your thoughts?

More to come through out the week. Video will close out the project by this weekend. I only have a few hours per night before I run out of steam!

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think that looks good. Not a big fan of underbody glow lights either but the vent lights look nice.

Reactions: Mack

·
18,670 Posts
It is obviously well done, and IMO tasteful. And more importantly, it is your car and is clearly making you happy.

BTW, while we can not post a link to where got something, it is fine to post something like, “available at Woody’s Auto Parts,” and then another member can google/bing it and themselves find out the link, pricing, etc.

Sharing a parts list via a PM is a very good way — for that method will contain lost more detail info.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Do the LEDs block any air flow?

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Agree with others . Not over the top in my opinion . Looks good and most important you like it.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Looks great to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No blockage of the Airflow because I used flat strip LEDS. Here is a picture. I prepped the mating surface and stuck them in the wheel wells with the leds to bounce the light inwards. The goal here is to not see any LEDS directly it will all be bounced around and come out naturally. I am shooting some night pictures now. What you will see shortly is 4 hours work to wire and remove the areas I needed to get into. 2018-03-05 19.41.25.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have some light leakage that I will need to seal that's coming through the fender and the firewall. Not an issue just need to get some sort of blocker to layup in there and I will spray 90 it to the material that's already there.

All in all a worthwhile venture. Wife likes it cause I can make it PURPLE>>>>> Yuck!! lol

I will have the hood vents done tomorrow and the other side. The wiring was the hard part for tonight.

That's all for now. Tired and old. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Not my thing, but if it is your thing, good on ya. Looks like a real clean setup, too.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
That is pretty cool :cool:

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I like it ... just not enough to want it on my Stingray but to each their own. Looks like a very clean installation.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Maybe not in my lifetime since I'm elderly,but I think we may see more of this directly from manufacturers in the future.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Woody, it looks squared away and not over the top. Will it be bright enough to see during a sunny car show day?

SF
Rick

·
Registered
843 Posts
Very good! If I was a night driver, as in cruising like I did as a teenager I would definitely consider them. But like the Marine asked, how do they show in the daylight?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Excellent execution and noticeable while being subtle at the same time...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back at the install now....

In regards to the question of if they can be seen in the daylight. Not much can overpower the big fusion generator in the sky. You can see some color in there but the sun reflects off the white and you can't even look at the car very long.

In South Florida we have meet ups and gatherings of 100 plus and due to the heat it's normally at dusk/dark where we take over the back end of a shopping center. That was the niche I was going after.

Here are a few tips on how I pulled some wires though. I got lights mounted inside the radiator duct. The lights I used were from an off road ATV kit so I assume they will take the heat. I figure they made the duct out of plastic so the LEDS should live. We will see but so far when I mocked it up it looked damn cool. I went green as a test last night and it looks darn eerie. 2018-03-05 22.33.30.jpg 2018-03-05 22.33.20.jpg 2018-03-05 22.31.40.jpg 2018-03-05 18.34.31.jpg 2018-03-05 18.37.54.jpg

I should be done tonight with the front lights until I figure out how I can do the rear quarter panel air ducts easily. I might just buy the Z06 air grabbers and hit two birds with one turd! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok.

Part one is done!

Need to buy some wire loom and tidy up a bit under the hood but the bulk is done.

I now have to install the lights in the rear quarter panel duct. I happen to have a 3d printer so I can get creative on accessing the rear ducts without fender removal.

Parked it under the white mercury lights down at the hardware store with the red lights on and..... caught a few people taking pictures of it while I was inside looking for wire. One girl even posed next to it while her friend took the picture.

Made me smile inside to see that, :) Now I want to get the rear done so it evens out the look.

Total cost 100 bucks for the lights and wire about 20 dollars in parts I already had. Need wire loom and more free time!

Woody P

Woody P 2018-03-06 19.57.33.jpg 2018-03-06 19.57.52.jpg 2018-03-06 19.59.22.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts