Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the C7 out today as it is supposed to be in the 80s . So of course I decided to lower the top. Rear panel goes up , windows go down , top releases and then nothing. Won't go down . Won't go back up. Stuck half way ...Dash says I have to lower manually which i have no idea how . Can't get into the trunk as the lid is covering the trunk. Limped to a local dealer and the writer had no idea but the tech tried to trouble shoot it for a quick fix with no luck. While doing that the car started throwing codes like crazy. service rear en axle. Check engine . Turned the car off and unable to open the doors. Had to use the emergency lever to get out.
Any vert owners with experience in this happening?
One thing that occurred to me is the battery. While it is the original battery it has always been on a trickle charger. Have no other issues lending to a battery issue and recently when it was in for service I had the battery checked and they said it was fine. Service writer acknowledges when the battery goes the car will do some very strange things but does not believe the top failing is one of them.
Not happy about having to leave it at this dealer as they are not my first choice for servicing my Corvette . However they are very local to me and I had no choice.
Any ideas???

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Karma for bragging about it being 80 degrees... ;) J/K - hope it gets worked out good thing you were close to a dealer and not on vacation.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karma for bragging about it being 80 degrees... ;) J/K - hope it gets worked out good thing you were close to a dealer and not on vacation.
Guilty as charged...
Now karma x2 awaiting the decision if it's covered under my Platinum ext warranty..
They are telling me it's a wiring harness of some type that failed.
Finally great weather and my car is sitting on a dealers lot...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Guilty as charged...
Now karma x2 awaiting the decision if it's covered under my Platinum ext warranty..
They are telling me it's a wiring harness of some type that failed.
Finally great weather and my car is sitting on a dealers lot...

That is really unfortunate- an old OEM battery would have been so much easier to fix. A wiring harness failure is unusual. Hopefully it will be a quick and successful resolve and get you back out enjoying the weather in your C7!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hope that solves the problem and it is covered by your extended warranty... so you can be back on the road enjoying that beautiful weather soon!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I'm may have bigger issues as they are telling me my transmission is having issues. Some may remember that is a "new rebuilt" transmission and tq. Installed in October. 200 miles on this one.
I wasn't to happy with a rebuilt part of that importance . They insisted it was just as good as new... working fine for 3 months and 200 miles.
Not a happy camper right now.
Waiting for the next shoe to drop.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Oh crap. Hate to hear that. How could these 2 issues even be related?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard to imagine they are but seems like they all hit at the same time. And all while thete at the dealership today. They seem to believe its the wiring harness and switch regarding the top. Sounds like a short as the were able to manipulate the harness and get the top closed. Transmission bieng evaluate on Monday..
Bad karma as never had an issue of any sorts untill i had the delayed engagement work done in October. Now it's one thing after another.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hoping that once they fix the electronics that the transmission reprograms itself and your off and running... good luck. Not any amt of bad karma should have caused this much damage!!

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Looks like I'm may have bigger issues as they are telling me my transmission is having issues. Some may remember that is a "new rebuilt" transmission and tq. Installed in October. 200 miles on this one.
I wasn't to happy with a rebuilt part of that importance . They insisted it was just as good as new... working fine for 3 months and 200 miles.
Not a happy camper right now.
Waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Wow, that is truly lousy news. Think they are trying to move you into a great deal on a remaining 2019 or a midengine 2018?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Jeff - now that would certainly be making some lemonade!!

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not at this dealership. In my opinion the worst dealership to purchase a new corvette. Rarley have more than one or two in inventory. i am sure they are on the bottom of allotments . They do have one "Corvette Trained" 30 year mechanic and he seems pretty good but even he mentioned it's doubtful he will get the C8 training and doesn't expect that dealership to even get a C8.
At this point if GM offered I'd be all over it. Hopefully it will work out as my C7 was bullet proof up until the Delayed Engagement fiasco. Now i am loosing confidence in the vehicle. As was said good that I wasn't away from home stuck in who knows where without a car. Lack of confidence in my vehicles is a sign of a pending sale for me. If I'm afraid to drive it further than my local area as what's the point of having it?
Only has 13,000 K miles on it and it is immaculate but if I'm afraid to drive it to far from a repair facility i don't want it...

Hope for the best but trying to prepare for the worst. And dreading the reaction from the wife when I tell her the corvette is down ... again.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Stories like this reinforce my decisions to avoid service departments like the plague.

Reactions: 15snow-ray

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really got to agree with that statement. And i am starting to re-evaluate my appreciation for extended warranties as well. The dichotomy between the sales office and the service department is utterly amazing when it comes to these things. Can still hear the voice of the selling party repeating in my ear how about how great and easy this policy was . "Everything is covered by GM bumper to bumper !" Then 2 years later you stand in front of a service writer and he tells you why it may not be covered for some of the most obscure reasons. Almost as if he gets a bonus if he can charge it direct to the owner instead of covering it. HMMM makes me wonder??

Enjoy the Super Bowl today and off my soap box for now....

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
SnoRay, hope you get these issues cleared up. Horrible experience when you actually have some nice weather to enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Friend living in Key Largo had mice eat his wiring harness. Gave erratic signals/performance.
Yes.. checked for that and no pests.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts