Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate some folks to weigh in on this. I've had my new vette for 500 miles now and the biggest annoyance is how the curved left side of the bottom seat digs into my left leg bc of the width of my two legs. So it's like my left leg can't fit inside that bottom seat bolster. Maybe it just needs to break in?

Anyone else have this same issue? I'm sure this will be my one gripe with a very lovely seat...Might need to lose muscle mass on my legs ; )

·
18,670 Posts
This issue, that the seat bottom is relatively narrow, with some larger folks having part of their legs, especially their left leg, rest on the curving upward side bolster. This has been noted before by others. The seat "breaks in" some over time, and some have reported that they got used to it, that it became okay, but at least one poster ended up taking his car to a specialty upholsterer who customized his seat bolsters (shaving some of it away). Hope your seat breaks in for you and you become more comfortable on the future.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This issue, that the seat bottom is relatively narrow, with some larger folks having part of their legs, especially their left leg, rest on the curving upward side bolster. This has been noted before by others. The seat "breaks in" some over time, and some have reported that they got used to it, that it became okay, but at least one poster ended up taking his car to a specialty upholsterer who customized his seat bolsters (shaving some of it away). Hope your seat breaks in for you and you become more comfortable on the future.
Thanks Elegant. That's what I'm hoping. I need to learn to search better on this forum. I tried and bunch of search terms but couldn't find anything specific to my problem. Thx!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I felt that when I got my car 2 months ago but it has subsided now.

Reactions: elegant

·
18,670 Posts
Thanks Elegant. That's what I'm hoping. I need to learn to search better on this forum. I tried and bunch of search terms but couldn't find anything specific to my problem. Thx!
Appreciate your searching first, and sometimes, even when I know there is info we have discussed before, can't find it myself. Our forum's search function is really good, better than most other forums, but not perfect.

And in this specific case, the shaving of the seat bolster was info I learned from another place.

·
18,670 Posts
I felt that when I got my car 2 months ago but it has subsided now.
Good confirmation; thanks for posting! As I do not have a C7 yet, my info was second hand. Thanks "smajicek!"

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am 6' and 270, and my seats fit very well, in which I'm surprised! I have had several other corvettes, and this one is very comfortable (GT seats) my 2 86 vettes are a li'l bit tight in the rib section, but other than that , they are okay. I guess it's a matter of body shape.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm 6'2" , 240 ish ..... and I don't have any problems with it and my thighs are on the large size (a lot of biking).
I have just under 3,000 miles of seat time.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I picked up my vert at the museum in Dec, that was the first thing I noticed. The bottom seat cushion bolsters hit me in the back of the thighs. My first thought was, why would they make this seat more narrow than what I had in my C5 vert or C5 Z06. On the ride back to Florida from BG, I actually started to get used to the seat. But my question about why building a more narrow seat still bothered me. So, when I got home I measured the seat bottom (the flat part between the bolsters) on my C5 Z06 and the seat bottom on my new C7 vert. To my surprise, the Z06 seat bottom measured approx. 11 3/4" and the C7 at approx. 12 1/4". Then I noticed that the seat bottom bolsters on the C7 were taller and a little firmer than my Z's seats. So, I have come to the conclusion that the C7 seats are not more narrow than a C5 seat, but the bolsters are taller. I believe the it was designed this way to keep you more firmly planted in your seat for spirited driving. Just my opinion!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for input. My guess too. I'm just going to have to break it in good! Hopefully that works out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
LOL... I noticed that too, gave me a good incentive to drop some of the added...'muscle'...
Dropped 20 since I took delivery, and the seat fits much better; for that matter, so do I in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been dealing with the base seat bolsters for the past 2 months since I took delivery. I brought it to a custom upholstery shop & they cut down the bolsters and raised the back part of the base seat slightly. Its better but still a problem getting comfortable. The other issue is even when you lower the base seat bolsters you wind up sitting on the stitching part which still doesn't allow you top get comfy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, its good to see we aren't alone. Stinks that we have to go to a custom shop to get things chopped up. Wonder if comp seats are better, or possibly worse. I really feel there is NOOO reason to have a bottom seat bolster. Even if I was pulling a G around turns, the side bolsters of the upper seat will keep me planted. Or better yet, give me a better seat belt harness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im really not sure where to go with this seat problem to resolve the issue. My thinking is to go again back to the custom upholstery shop and have them shave more of the base seat bolsters.
Then at least the bolsters wont be stabbing my thighs, I just have to get used to sitting on stitches. If you come up with any good ideas im interested!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts