Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had XPEL Ultimate Paint Protection Film applied to our C7, "Outstanding Workmanship"

I was referred to Mr. James Bailey who owns Tinted Image, when I had the C7 detailed at Absolute Perfection. So Renee (my better half), and I leave the house at 0730 heading towards Garner, NC. We are cruising on 40 W. at 70 mph in Echo mode enjoying the morning. It is ironic, how people would be hauling freight to pass us, and then slow down beside us to take cell phone pictures. I would look over and give them that old weathered Marine grin and wave. I had to throw that in there, it has nothing to do with XPel. I averaged 36.2 mpg, maybe I did draft off a few people. We arrived at 1000 and James said it will take a few hours and gave me the keys to his fairly new Chevrolet Tahoe, so Renee and I wouldn't have to hangout in the waiting room. That really surprised me, very kind gesture. James explained in detail how he would apply the XPel, with no razor blades involved. Pre-cut sections for the C7, with the edges of the film to be rolled under the lip of each piece being covered. I was impressed when I saw his shop, squared away, as you can see in the pictures. The entire job took 6 hours, and turned out "Outstanding" I had the following put on our C7.

1. Hood
2. Fenders
3. Headlights
4. Bumper
5. Mirrors
6. Door Seals
7. Door Openings (square section)

SF
Rick

2014 XPEL Corvette wrap.jpg 22.jpg
2014 XPEL Corvette wrap.jpg 8.jpg
2014 XPEL Corvette wrap.jpg 2.jpg
2014 XPEL Corvette wrap.jpg 6.jpg

·
Registered
810 Posts
Cool. Too bad Jacksonville is not on my way home from NCM. Guessing I'll slide down to Nashville to get mine done.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'd say you have a beautiful car with a great job of protecting it so that you can enjoy it without a bunch of worries about the paint protection. I had my C7 wrapped at St. Louis Clear Bra in St. Louis, MO. I drove about 130 miles each way to get it done. In 4.5 hours, they covered the whole hood, nose, full front fenders, mirrors, rocker panels (to the top of the rear quarters, A pillars, sills (including the Stingray sill plates), headlights, and door cups. It's almost easier to say what they didn't cover: (the car is a convertible so no top to cover) trunk deck, rear valance, doors, and spoiler. Their work area was clean, well-lit, and professional looking with two lifts. The plotter that custom cut the Xpel was in a side room. Staff were polite, friendly, and very accommodating. They drove me to a nearby mall for the 4.5 hours that one and sometimes two installers worked on my car. The primary installer, Nick, was perfectionistic about the job and the best compliment I could give them was that I couldn't see the product once it was installed. The owner, Mark, followed up after the job to make sure that I was pleased. I was very pleased. I could also tell that the primary installer, Nick, was a "car guy", as are all of the staff. They treated my car as if it was their own. I can't ask for more than that.

·
Administrator
16,283 Posts
Looks stunning Rick! Beautiful shine. :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for sharing Rick. She is a real beauty! Seeing that shine gives me the confidence to do that to my car as well.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Looking good! ;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
U.S. Marine...
Beautiful vette. Looks like a great job too. Makes me more antsy to get mine. I had film protection done to a Lexus I use to own. It was dark blue and because of the dark color, you could see the edges of the film if you stood within several feet of the car. Of course, the edges were invisible at a distance. Just wondering how well the edges hide on the TR? What did they tell to use to keep it clean and scratch free?

Reactions: U.S. Marine

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charlie Dog, Thank you. I want to protect my paint since it is a daily driver, and it sits outside. Right now the pollen is killing us around here.

1. Had the exterior detailed, factory paint defects, and had it sealed with CQuartz UK.
2. I wash it with, Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine.
3. XPEL Ultimate self healing protective film applied.
4. Will use XPEL polish once a month light coat, microfiber towel to remove.

I guess if you look close enough you can spot the lines, but it is no where near as thick as the factory applied film on your rockers.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All!

First off, Rick, thank you very much for your service to our country! Secondly, gorgeous car!

Our black Stingray is on his way to the dealership and I am meeting a film guy on Friday to check out his work. I hope his set up is as nice as yours! I think we are going to have most of his surface covered, as well. I was curious about the products to use, and you've answered for me! Thank you!

Can these products be ordered from Amazon? So nice to know there are others out there as cautious as I am! :D

Maria

·
Registered
126 Posts
Im in my car right now as they are putting Xpel on my car, watching everything and enjoing the experience. For people that are thinking about putting it on just do it, if you have paid $70,000 like i did i think $700 or so is worth protecting your car.

·
Registered
810 Posts
For that price Roadrat, no doubt. I've heard of people paying nearly 2k and covering most of their car though! At some point you gotta ask yourself if it would be cheaper to repaint than to pay that much for it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Tuscany, I wouldn't even consider buying online. This is one of those things you get what you pay for. And one of those things is an experienced installer. Not gonna botch this one!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taking him "Jet" to a detail shop, I would NEVER attempt to do on my own. I always manage to screw up tape while wrapping a gift, I would never attempt a car! LOL!

I want to preserve the factory paint as long as I can!

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maria, thank you very much. I would not attempt to apply Xpel to any vehicle, I don't have that expertise in this area. I'm not sure if you can order Xpel from Amazon. Like Roadrat3 posted, these HotRods cost a few coins, I'll let the experts do what they do best. I'm just the "Wheelman"!

SF
Rick

Reactions: Roadrat3

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I guess I just don't get it. I've never covered any car and I've had a bunch and never had any issue or received anything less than top dollar when I sold them. Then again I don't show my cars, I drive them and most of the people I've sold to do the same.

At most I MIGHT consider covering the front bumper and would lean towards the InvisibleMask - 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Film front bumper kit for $170.00. Spending thousands, ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
I haven't made up my mind what I will do. On one hand, I would be sad for the paint to get damaged by leaving it unprotected. On the other hand, the best you can do, cars depreciate in value at a significant rate at best. The worst thing that could happen is get the car, do paint correction, sealant, XPEL, the whole nine yards, then some moron take you out on the freeway while he was trying to get a picture. Total loss of price of the car, plus all of the extra goodies applied, minus what the insurance company values the car at, which would probably not factor in the goodies.

It will be a daily driver for me, too. I tend to usually go to one extreme or the other on most things: I will probably either go all out and get everything done, or do nothing (including just washing it maybe twice a year). I may end up with the ugliest, beat to }%}* StingRay that you have ever seen.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I haven't made up my mind what I will do. On one hand, I would be sad for the paint to get damaged by leaving it unprotected. On the other hand, the best you can do, cars depreciate in value at a significant rate at best. The worst thing that could happen is get the car, do paint correction, sealant, XPEL, the whole nine yards, then some moron take you out on the freeway while he was trying to get a picture. Total loss of price of the car, plus all of the extra goodies applied, minus what the insurance company values the car at, which would probably not factor in the goodies.

It will be a daily driver for me, too. I tend to usually go to one extreme or the other on most things: I will probably either go all out and get everything done, or do nothing (including just washing it maybe twice a year). I may end up with the ugliest, beat to }%}* StingRay that you have ever seen.
On a daily driver I would consider the Xpel / 3M treatment on at least the leading edge surfaces. Beyond that your mileage alone will kill resale and you won't get much, if anything back because the paint is perfect. If, OTOH, you plan on keeping the car for a decade and show it a lot then by all means, apply as much protectant as you can afford.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Although Xpel seems to be all the rage is there any real, quantitative comparison to Xpel and the various 3M films? 3M invented the product, one would think they have some credibility in this space.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I am not personally familiar with empirical studies that compare Xpel and 3M. I went with Xpel because of the reputation of the installer and because of the allegation that it is "self-healing" if it gets cut, damaged in small areas. Perhaps this is marketing hype. And I am one of the $2k+ Xpel customers, covering most of the car. Perhaps it is more money than sense on my part (that is a personal decision each one can make), but it allows me to enjoy my Vette more, without excessive worry about the protection of the car. I probably will keep the car a long time, as it is a Premiere Edition Convertible 53/550. I drive it primarily on weekends and, here in Illinois, we get about 7 months of driving a convertible. So, I made the choice of the wrap and I'm happy with my choice. 3M is probably a great product and it may be cheaper because it is less trendy right now. To me, it's all about the installer. At the end of the day, the best compliment to the installer is that you can't see the produce. That was my experience and I remain happy with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts