Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's leave the discussion whether a CAI is worth money for what it is. ;)

I bought the Halltech CAI for my C7 and just as I was about to install I noticed that the air filter element had K&N stamped on it which made me suspicious.
IMG_1274.jpg
So I reached out to the seller, who needed 12 days to respond and only did so after I filed a dispute with PayPal but that's another story altogether.

And this is the reply I received:
Here is Haltech response

That is our new filter. We have been shipping the same filter now for months. K&N did not have the mold done to use on our new filter with our logo. Never had anyone complain about the markings on the filters.
Now my question to the forum is, what is going on here? If you go to the Halltech website 2014 2015 2016 2017 Corvette C7 Halltech Stinger-R Induction it clearly shows a Halltech logo on the filter element... Am I just being paranoid or is Halltech trying something?

·
Administrator
16,441 Posts
Seems like Halltech is clearly using K&N manufactured and supplied filters.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I agree. Seems like you possibly found a new terminology for CAI.

Caught At Indiscretion

Gus

·
Registered
15 Posts
The stock paper filter only flows 289 cfm. The Halltech (K&N) filter flows 689 cfm. Paper filter's are just not high performance.
The Halltech like all Cloth oil filters are mostly made by K&N. K&N makes the very best filter for a CAI.

That is why the AFE and Halltech both use the K&N type. The filter in my Halltech intake says Halltech on it and I have another spare.
It says K&N . They are the same filter and it is like Jim Hall said they just didn't put Halltech on it.
Same filter made to the Halltech specs.
Power increase comes from the extra boost I made 11.74 of boost vs only 9.5 stock.
Then then the tric unit adds even more BOOST at spend. At least 750hp plus more at speed when fed by the Halltech tric unit at the engine

The Lt4 picks up about 40 rwhp and a little better MPG with the Halltech installed.
I went a little further and Added 2 inch jethot coated ARH catted Headers and the Halltech tric unit with a professional tune.
You can see where my tuned graph looks much smoother. Same filter will be found in the same air box on a Callaway car.

Jim sends a little different filter designed for use with the tric unit. It flows 701 CFM and has a smaller end cap.
Jim's testing with the smaller cap made a little better result with the tric unit.

I'm setting with a conservative 636 rwhp with a Halltech unit and headers and tune. The increase over stock is nothing but amazing.

The stock Z06 can't stay beside me for more than about 2 secs and I have pulled away by then by several car length's and pulling away more rather quickly. Not sure if he was an A8 or m7.

There is white Z06 running around that can a test to that. It is not close. I made 604rwhp on a mustang dyno with just the Halltech. So mine had a great result.
Mustang dyno's are more conservative on the numbers than a dyno jet. 636 rwhp with the headers Halltech and tune.

Tremendous difference over the stock car. The stock car is slow compared. Stock makes around 555-560rwhp for the M7 and
530-535rwhp for the A8 on this dyno.
My engine temps run cooler as well. Much Much faster and better car with these mods. Plus some weight loss as well!
Plus the engine is running slightly less timing than stock. This is factory reliability as well!
The stock NPP sounds amazing as well now sporting a different tuned sound.
Hope that helped!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can go further where GM uses the same stock intake designed for the 460 hp stingray on the 650hp Z06 that is the reason for the way better than expected increase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts