Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So I very rarely do launch control so I decided to do today and heard a pop and the seen the cockeyed wheel in the mirror. So 2 months out of warranty on a car designed to do this it shatters the cv joint and rips the upper control arm off. Come on Chevy please help me this shouldn’t happen I still have original tires I just hope a good gm engineer is listening to this.

UPDATE:
After watching several videos it seems as if for whatever reason my car wasn’t in launch control because when I held brake hit has it went as high as 4 or 5 grand which I immediately recognized was not right so as soon as I released it already popped

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
contact the regional GM rep and see if they would intervene and get you some goodwill.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check this link for a quick video explaining what happen I may have it recorded on PDR as well and I will post how I repaired

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Saw this happen at Spring Mountain when they did a demo of launch control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If a gm rep reads my post any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I would even if possible like to have a gm engineer come see the vehicle to explain the upper a arm being broken off. Could it be a bad a arm , or was the cv faulty. I will send photos , videos anything

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
If a gm rep reads my post any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I would even if possible like to have a gm engineer come see the vehicle to explain the upper a arm being broken off. Could it be a bad a arm , or was the cv faulty. I will send photos , videos anything
Do not depend nor expect a GM rep to read your post here. Contact your regional rep (see your Owners Manual) directly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After watching several videos it seems as if for whatever reason my car wasn’t in launch control because when I held brake hit has it went as high as 4 or 5 grand which I immediately recognized was not right so as soon as I released it already popped

·
Registered
524 Posts
Popping the clutch at 4000-5000 rpm vs 2000 rpm is much more load on the rear suspension. Sorry to hear of this and wish you well and seems like you are mechanically saavy so that should definitely help with the financial cost to repair.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the vote of confidence only 300 dollars and I don’t see anything else I really check almost camped out under car., but it’s a automatic so no clutch pop

·
Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
Please keep us updated on the repairs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Test drove car today after I put back and think I dodged a bullet . Feels like nothing ever happen very smooth and I tried several thing. I was very easy on it but I don’t hear noises only went 85 at moderate acceleratio. I guess in a few days if I can pass leak test on cv to diff I will feel better. If it would have damaged to diff I would bring it to dealer but I can eat this one.

·
Registered
524 Posts
@patrick rooney - Glad it seems to be working out for you. Launch Control is really cool to experience in a safe environment so if done properly it works perfectly. I certainly would understand your apprehension based on this experience and it being your wife's car so just continue to enjoy it and glad it worked out.

I periodic will do Launch Control trying to best my 0-60 times as Chevy markets that Stock C7 Stingray will do 0-60 MPH in 3.8 seconds but I don't come near that and that must be perfect conditions, tires, surface, air, wind, etc.

When I look at youtube, the best I am seeing ave Joe is doing is like 4.2+ but many are in the 5's.... I started at doing 7's, 6's,5's and now have been a 4.6 as my best which was in 'race" mode on the selector options. So I will periodically try again as each time you tend to get better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will try again know for a fact that I was not in that mode I should know better. But it’s a mistake learned so don’t make the same. I did 60 in 2.5 sec , nah just jokin 0-0 in 2.5 then boom. I can joke about it now. Oh and u mentioned when done properly that’s the trick for sure

·
Administrator
15,571 Posts
I have only tried launch control back during my first year of ownership (RedHot is now almost 7 years old). My best was a 4.1, but here is a photo from a 4.2 from back then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well i had been meaning to try launch control but I guess not. I would probably make a mistake and kill somebody. Probably me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts