Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone notice that the C7 is hard to shift from first to second and even into third until the car is fully warmed up in cold weather? I noticed it this winter and I have the CAGS skip shift eliminator installed. Is this common to all C7's or is it my car alone? I have a 16 C7 Z-51 coupe.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My ‘15 7spd is a bit stiff until it gets warm. No biggie. Takes a couple minutes for the trans to come to temp.

·
Administrator
15,232 Posts
Welcome to our forum Ftamburelli. Sounds like simply a normal cold transmission. But I anticipate a number of our members will respond to clarify.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I agree, cold shifting can be a bit notchy, but once the tranny gets up to operational temperature it vanishes for me (not the transmission vanishing, the "notchiness" :eek:nthego: ).

Also, I always try to let the engine and tranny get up to full operational temperature before "getting on it".

·
Super Moderator
3,316 Posts
As Mobius stated, I will slowly drive around my work place parking lot, on cold days, before heading out on the highway and getting on it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yup...that's normal. And my C7 is way stiffer than the 6spd in my C6.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Yep, been that way in my September 2013 built Z51 C7 and now my Grand Sport. I just pull harder but some folks shift from 1st to 3rd until the fluid warms up. In my case only takes a few miles when 40F. Don't have to frequently drive when it's below that.

Zero problem above ~50F or once the trans fluid warms.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 2014 Z51 and mine did that until I had all the fluids changed....my tech recommended the axle and trans fluid be changed at 2 years, mine was done in 2016....after it was done the trans shifted much easier...there were break-in particles in the drained fluid...it's only necessary just once as there is no combustion in the gear trains. Big difference...did the clutch system, transmission and rear diff....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep, been that way in my September 2013 built Z51 C7 and now my Grand Sport. I just pull harder but some folks shift from 1st to 3rd until the fluid warms up. In my case only takes a few miles when 40F. Don't have to frequently drive when it's below that.

Zero problem above ~50F or once the trans fluid warms.
I was surprised at how easily it pulled shifting from first to third and it quickly became my "go-to" move until the damned thing warms up. One of the downsides of having a trans not directly connected to a nice warm engine block. It was getting embarrassing when I could not get it into second gear...I thought I was losing my touch. Damned shame that this problem seems to be with the Tremecs for years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2014 Z51 and mine did that until I had all the fluids changed....my tech recommended the axle and trans fluid be changed at 2 years, mine was done in 2016....after it was done the trans shifted much easier...there were break-in particles in the drained fluid...it's only necessary just once as there is no combustion in the gear trains. Big difference...did the clutch system, transmission and rear diff....
It worked and that is great! But it should not have to be done, imo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you remove the 1,2,3 skip shift?

·
Registered
243 Posts
2016 Z51 Coupe here and I’m sure I posted about my shift concerns during the first year or so. For me it was more than just cold trans stiffness. Though it was better when warm, I would commonly get a short grind going into 2nd no matter how carefully or otherwise. It was ultimately fixed by an adjustment to the shifter. As I recall, it was referred to as centering or adjusting the detents. As it happens, Paul K, the corvette mechanic himself, is the corvette tech at my dealer so he certainly knows what’s normal and what isn’t. At 13.5k miles now and just did the clutch fluid flush and replace last week. Shifts are consistently smooth these days.

So my advice is don’t just chalk it up to normal if you think it may not be. It may be normal but go ahead and talk to your service writer and the tech about it. There may be some improvement to be had. Then once you’ve done what you can, get about bangin’ gears because spring is here!

·
Registered
54 Posts
As already stated, notchy engagement 2nd gear when cold.
I had the same issue in my prior CTS-V2.
I’ve shifted into 3rd (not locked out by CAGS btw) or sometimes I’ll briefly go into neutral before engaging 2nd.
Now that the weather is warming up, less of an issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It worked and that is great! But it should not have to be done, imo.
For all those who want to know why the issue exisits when the trans is cold and what the syncro's have to do, This may be of help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXsRfbOiBhE

Great video for even a "gearhead" like me! May have to watch it several times!

Vette 7 Speed.jpg
After you watch the video, consider what you are asking of the syncro's in the very large gears and gear cluster 1st to 2nd change. They must change the rotational speed of the large gear cluster in a cold viscous fluid in milliseconds! This is not a 4 cylinder Honda Accord! LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts