Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that none of us really know what exactly it will look like yet, but I am pretty sure that it will be a good looking color. I just received my POD today for my 2015 Z51, 3LT, MSRC, convertible today in Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic with black top and interior. Convertible tops and Orange are both 0% constraints so no clue when it might actually be built. Anybody else ordering on the hopes that it will look good?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Not to derail your thread, but I wondered how many that want this color are willing to wait for it until it becomes available? How long a wait are you prepared for?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been waiting to order for a year now so a couple more months won't be a problem for me. I will wait for 6-8 months, but I am hoping that it won't be near that long. The longer that I wait just gives me a bigger down payment :). Wife wanted a few things paid off before I could buy another vehicle. It took me a little while to squash her list of bills.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I ordered my DSOM on 7/7/14 and am in for the long haul. The orange color was my wife's choice and that's not to be trifled with! I find it strange that there is no actual photograph of a color sample. The closest I can get is the rendition of the color that I get on my order status web page-and that is probably not a true representation of what it actually looks like. You have to actually order one to see the rendition. A bit like having to pass the Bill to find out what is in the Bill!

Anyway, I'm sure it will look just fine in real life. I'll probably take delivery in the middle of winter and will have to just stare at it in the garage for 3 months until the snow melts!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am doing museum delivery so I would prefer delivery without snow as well. I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 diesel which does great in the snow, but I don't want my brand new vette playing truck duty :). We don't have severe snow usually so I would still be able to drive the car in the winter a bit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Find it very strange that still today there are only computer generated renderings of this color on the web and no actual examples of cars painted with it. Must be either a technical problem with it in the paint booth or there is something holding the decision makers up on the final look of the paint. Shark Grey has been out in public for some time. I loved the Atomic Orange on the car, but didn't like the Inferno orange that replaced it. Have a Crystal Red C7 (and love it especially with the black moldings and CF roof), certainly would have considered a orange C7 if and when I could actually see the car in real life. Just kinda wierd that it is taking so long.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I don't know what is stranger, a car manufacturer offering a color that you cannot buy, or people then ordering it sight unseen, and not knowing when it will actually be available. I have not yet ordered, but there are three or four colors on my possible list, and my favorite seems to change week to week, usually based on the pictures of owners cars posted here. At least all of the colors on my possible list are actually available.

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I have not yet ordered, but there are three or four colors on my possible list, and my favorite seems to change week to week, usually based on the pictures of owners cars posted here. At least all of the colors on my possible list are actually available.
If you haven't done so already, visit one of the larger dealers that has all colors in stock, so you can get "up close and personal" with each. It wasn't until I did this (at Bud's in OH) that I settled on LRG.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If you haven't done so already, visit one of the larger dealers that has all colors in stock, so you can get "up close and personal" with each. It wasn't until I did this (at Bud's in OH) that I settled on LRG.
I live about 100 miles from MacMulkin and was there about a month ago to get an initial look. It is likely that I will order through them, and intend to place the order in person, so I have the option of making a last minute field inspection for a possible selection change. I started out considering velocity yellow, then went to black, but torch red with an adrenaline red interior convertible is now in the lead for me. My 64 convertible was red/red, and it would just be an update of my old Vette, by a mere 51 years (!!!)

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Find it very strange that still today there are only computer generated renderings of this color on the web and no actual examples of cars painted with it. Must be either a technical problem with it in the paint booth or there is something holding the decision makers up on the final look of the paint...
I have some experience with this. When a manufacturer goes through the process of selecting a new color (and it is a by committee sort of affair) the paint supplier provides paint to be hand sprayed on test panels and if they get good results then they start to hand spray actual body panels. Based on the results of that work, it gets approved or not. If not, then the paint and / or the application technique is adjusted until all the people involved are happy with it. If it can't be applied to the satisfaction of the QC people it won't be given the OK. IMO they are past this point and are trying to tweak it so that it can be used and still get the quality they want from it. It is possible that there is some sort of variation in the actual color that PPG(?) if having issues with. It is hard to know where the actual problem resides. I guess we all will find out in time when /if they get the issue squared away.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know what is stranger, a car manufacturer offering a color that you cannot buy, or people then ordering it sight unseen, and not knowing when it will actually be available. I have not yet ordered, but there are three or four colors on my possible list, and my favorite seems to change week to week, usually based on the pictures of owners cars posted here. At least all of the colors on my possible list are actually available.
The good thing is that I can change my order to a different color if the orange turns out to be not my cup of tea. I like a lot of the shades of orange with the exception of inferno orange. It is too red for my liking. Time will tell :). My second choice is Yellow, but I will wait for a bit to see when the Orange is released.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I found this and have already posted it in the similar Z06 thread: As I suggested in that post, I believe this color will pop in direct sunlight just like LRG. Having said that it sure looks darker than I expected.
View attachment 11354

1 - 14 of 14 Posts