Stingray Corvette Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
No one can tell you whether or not you should by vehicle service contract, extended warranty, nor can they decide for you whether a manufacturer's contract or an aftermarket contract will fit your needs. Some things to keep in mind:
Manufacturer's contracts will usually show up when the dealership runs your vin number, provided the service advisor looks.
Manufacturer's contracts are accepted at all dealerships that sell that make new
Manufacturer's contracts will not require the use of aftermarket parts
Manufacturer's contracts MUST be used at a dealership - this can be a problem depending on your location and how busy the dealership you want to work with is.
Aftermarket contracts are USUALLY less expensive, and you can generally negotiate a lower rate that what is offered.
Aftermarket contracts can be used at independent repair facilities which can be extremely helpful if you have a shop that you like working with or if your breakdown occurs when it's not convenient to go to a dealership.
Aftermarket contracts can be better for the shop to use if the service advisor isn't too lazy to do his job since they pay CUSTOMER PAY labor times and CUSTOMER PAY parts prices that the manufacturer's contract does not.

As far as which ones are reputable, MOST of them sold through dealerships are because problems generally wind up causing headaches for the dealership. You can google and research on the internet but keep in mind that people generally only post negative comments. Anytime a claim is denied the customer feels he's been cheated or not dealt with properly. Make sure you read the contract to understand what is covered. There are basically 2 types of contracts: 1 that specifically names what is covered in the contract, these usually graduate in coverage depending on what you want, and 1 that EXCLUDES what is not covered. There are also going to be things that can CAUSE a normally covered part to be denied. You must maintain your vehicle, modifying your vehicle will usually result in a claim denial, not getting prior authorization will usually result in a denial, any type of physical damage that caused a failure or contamination of a fluid resulting in a failure will generally not be covered. Keep in mind the purpose of the contract...to provide coverage for specific items due to premature failure and normal use. Trim and wear items are almost always excluded from coverage.

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
Welcome to our forum HarleyRdr :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
HarleyRdr, welcome aboard and you're 100% correct nobody can tell you to purchase an extended warranty or which one that is offered on the market. The more research you do the better informed you will be, and you posted some good points.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can you cancel/back out of one after purchase...say within a month...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
Can you cancel/back out of one after purchase...say within a month...

look at the contract of the specific warranty you purchased.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, im thinkin maybe i got a spankin on that, will update after i take a look. When i bought the car it was considered "used" because it was titled before outside the dealer, but it only has 1200 miles on it (2019 GS)

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
If, and that is a 'big' if, anyone is considering an extended warranty on their C7, I encourage you to use the search function and find the many posts (and opinions- pro and con) for getting one. But, if you do decide you want one, strongly encourage you to go with the GM version (which you can get discounted, again covered in our many threads on this) because it is honored at all GM service centers and become linked with your VIN.

Reactions: Vigilance247
41 - 48 of 48 Posts