Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know, you don't want to admit it, that's OK, I understand. :)

There is one on the market that claims it will not change the ECU of your computer and leaves no evidence of one being used and won't violate warranty issues. Since I have an A6, I am getting tired of the V4 mode and sound, just want constant V8 drivability. Manual sticks can have that constant V8 in the Sport and Track modes, so no issue with them.

I've done some reading on other car and truck forums touting the use of the disabler, most comments have been favorable.

·
Administrator
16,580 Posts
Norm do you have the standard exhaust vs the NPP? With the NPP set to always open, the sound is fine in V4 or V8. Also I am not sure what you mean by 'getting tired of the V4 mode'. With more than 6500 miles on RedHot I typically only notice V4 mode because I see it on the display indicator, as soon as I step on the accelerator it is never an issue- immediately and smoothly is in V8 with all the power surge I desire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes I use one it's great never goes to 4 cyl. Ran the car half way to Carlisle without at 75 got 30.1 mpg did second have of trip with hooked up received 28.9 mpg I'm all for it

Reactions: Brett and Norm

·
Registered
54 Posts
I disable mine with the Diablo Intune. Works great. I turn it back on for trips... Simple

Reactions: Brett and Norm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Active Fuel Management

Designed for peak power when you need it and fuel efficiency when you don’t, Active Fuel Management™ (AFM) deactivates four cylinders when cruising at consistent speeds and offers all eight cylinders with one touch of the accelerator. AFM is utilized or disabled at the driver’s discretion. Labor reduces. Fuel economy improves. The driver notices peak performance, and nothing else.

For autos, go to Track. For 7 speeds, tour, sport of track.

·
Banned
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Active Fuel Management

Designed for peak power when you need it and fuel efficiency when you don’t, Active Fuel Management™ (AFM) deactivates four cylinders when cruising at consistent speeds and offers all eight cylinders with one touch of the accelerator. AFM is utilized or disabled at the driver’s discretion. Labor reduces. Fuel economy improves. The driver notices peak performance, and nothing else.

For autos, go to Track. For 7 speeds, tour, sport of track.
At cruising speed and light acceleration, my A6 in the Track mode still goes to V4 regardless until I step into it a bit. I want it completely disabled so I don't have to hear the crappy NPP V4 exhaust note.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I figure I can handle the break-in without the Ranger, and can handle the slight drop in gas mileage with it, so those things are a moot point for me. I plan on running the NPP always open in my A8, so my single concern for considering the Ranger is the exhaust tone in V4 mode when not in manual. So.....what are you guys hearing out of your C7's with NPP open in V4 mode?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I figure I can handle the break-in without the Ranger, and can handle the slight drop in gas mileage with it, so those things are a moot point for me. I plan on running the NPP always open in my A8, so my single concern for considering the Ranger is the exhaust tone in V4 mode when not in manual. So.....what are you guys hearing out of your C7's with NPP open in V4 mode?
You will love it NPP open/off. You need to drive it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry, jsvette, unless you have a stick, the automatics change tone WHENEVER it shifts to V4! I am trying to figure out which engineer had the bright idea to let it be in V4 when in Track!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry Gunz, on my auto, it shifts into V4 no matter what mode I am in!!! Chevy (no)customer service says that is the way it is supposed to be!! BS

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Sorry Gunz, on my auto, it shifts into V4 no matter what mode I am in!!! Chevy (no)customer service says that is the way it is supposed to be!! BS

Shift to m, use the paddles and AFM is gone in any mode on an auto....

·
Banned
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally eliminated the V4 entirely, have the sound I want in any mode, any speed, A6 or manual. Got an AFM disabler, and went back and pulled fuses (engine compartment box) #32 and #41. AND, no drone at highway speed. It sounds good.

·
Banned
9,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Norm:
Does one HAVE to use the disabler AND pull those fuses? Di you use Diablo?
I found with the Range disabler, the V4 is gone, however the NPP will not stay open constantly regardless of turning it off in the computer. That's why I pulled the fuses, to keep the NPP open constantly. I found that works best for me, maybe not for others.

·
Registered
952 Posts
there is a setting in the console that you can set to have npp open all the time, regardless of which mode you are in..apps vehicle I think

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
there is a setting in the console that you can set to have npp open all the time, regardless of which mode you are in..apps vehicle I think
open only to a point - no matter if that setting is in or off or what mode, incl track, the valves still shut at interstate speed...the only way to lock them open all the time is with the fuse pull...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts