Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made a Carbon Fiber Stinger style stripe to match the Carbon Fiber exposed roof? If so can someone post a link or picture...Thanks

·
Registered
755 Posts
Can't help in that regard but since the hood is of CFiber, would it not be possible to have the paint removed and the hood done as CF exposed in the stinger strip area? re finished and clear coated as they do the roof? A tad expensive maybe..... But it would be genuine and not tape....

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Can't help in that regard but since the hood is of CFiber, would it not be possible to have the paint removed and the hood done as CF exposed in the stinger strip area? re finished and clear coated as they do the roof? A tad expensive maybe..... But it would be genuine and not tape....
Not all carbon fibers are created equal. Some are very visually appealing (well-aligned fibers) but most are not so pretty, even though they are still as strong.

The "cream of the crop" are taken for the exposed carbon fiber roofs. The others get pained over to become the body colored roofs.

You can almost bet that the carbon fiber hoods are not going to be show quality like the exposed roofs. I would not recommend removing the paint on the hood.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not all carbon fibers are created equal. Some are very visually appealing (well-aligned fibers) but most are not so pretty, even though they are still as strong.

The "cream of the crop" are taken for the exposed carbon fiber roofs. The others get pained over to become the body colored roofs.

You can almost bet that the carbon fiber hoods are not going to be show quality like the exposed roofs. I would not recommend removing the paint on the hood.
Agree. I'm ok with the sticker like the carbon flash. I just want the look.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
there's a problem with this idea ...in terms of sanding thru and recoating it will be hugely expensive - like in the thousands...there is no telling if the CF below the paint can be brought back to a "clean" look, and the re-coat with clear cannot be just any old clearcoat ...the rumor (elegant can comment) is the clear CF top uses a UV resistant clearcoat that costs GM thousands of $ per gallon...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Sorry guys I never thought about the imperfections of the CF that could be present under the painted portions. I was aware of the huge cost that GM went through re the development of the clear coat for the 09 ZR1. So, my bad. Glad we are getting some other ideas. I like the 6 Pc. kit and it's price. "DON'T DO MY SUGESTION". Ahhhh Big mistake maybe....:confused:

Stung:

·
18,670 Posts
When GM first started clear coating parts of the ZR1, they stated that the cost of the UV-blocking clear coat was $60,000 per gallon. Have no idea whether that price has been reduced over time.

I second the above posts, for all the reasons they elaborated!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I was looking for a 1 piece like the Stinger stripe only in Carbon Fiber print/ design. Want to have the spoiler, skirts, splitter and roof to all match with the Look of Carbon Fiber.
vetteFX.com

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We saw one with a lot of carbon fiber mods at the car show last month... hmmmm I will look for a pic.

Also going to another show on Saturday this weekend, so if he's there again, I'll try to take more pics for you.

Cheers,

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: lotus69c

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We saw some carbon fiber mods at the Car Show in Rio vista today. It is POSSIBLE the orange one belongs to the guy who works at the Abel Chevrolet dealership, but not for sure. He posts a lot on another Corvette message board Just wanted to show pics.

P1090747.JPG P1090748.JPG P1090749.JPG P1090750.JPG P1090751.JPG P1090751.JPG

Reactions: FCCCVPMan

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the Blue...the added stripe is very nice

·
Registered
43 Posts
do they make red carbon fiber

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the 3M Di- Noc 3D carbon fiber vinyl installed on my painted roof panel, it is the flat color that matches the factory stinger flat black. The guy who installed it is a graphic artist that does signs and vinyl wraps for boats and commercial applications. If you decide to go this route I would ask to see some of their work, because I think there are guys who see it online and think they can do the work. I live in the Palm Harbor Fl. area, but I am sure there are competent guys in your area. the pictures aren't very good, this vinyl is hard to photograph, but I am very happy with the results. Just be sure you get the 3M brand as the others look cheap. DSC00277.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here's my dilemma - my Carbon Fiber Flash Stinger Stripe (yes I spent the extra $$) is extremely light in appearance compared to everything else on the car - what to do?? :-( Should I sand down the $60,000 a gallon paint & try to put something else over it like the awesome Visual CB in the pics above? any suggestions welcome! V__1FB5stinger.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts