Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced what I have. My '14 headlights have fogging and streaky discolorations inside of the covers. It's along the lower front and outside edges of the units. I know some of the older cars have had lots of issues and Chevrolet has even gone on record as saying they are very sensitive to all kinds of things. I even had the Xpel film removed thinking that maybe the extra contained heat might be contributing to the problem, but that didn't seem to help. I've traded the car on a '15, so the dealer will take care of it when he takes it in, but I'm wondering if I should not cover the new one with Xpel, etc. Dealer and Xpel claim they have not seen this before, but there was even some mention of it in the last issue of Corvette magazine. Confused about how to treat the new car when it comes? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
George; I have seen that other owners have had fogging inside their headlights and I believe they were replaced. As far as covering them, I am not sure what the current thinking is about that, and I believe that some owners have covered theirs.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It should be a warrantable repair. The headlights should not fog or discolor unless they are improperly sealed/assembled.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
George, I've had my headlights covered with Xpel right after I received it. I haven't experienced any problems, sits outside at work, has sat outside overnight in the rain in cool weather with the sun warming it up the next day. Have the dealership replace them, keep us posted on your situation.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
28 Posts
I experienced this issue last night. As always, I check out my car before I leave the garage into the house and I noticed condensation inside the bottom front portion of the housings. I checked it again this morning before I left for work and it had dried up making it very hard to prove to the dealer this is even happening. I guess I'll have to wait until it happens again and take pictures of it before I make the appointment with the dealer to have them replaced. I'll keep everyone abreast of continuing events on this matter as they unfold.

-Eric

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
External coverings will have no effect on internal fogging. Between the LED's and the HID lamps there is very little heat build up inside the housing. If they fog then they have a broken seal and should be warranty replaced.

Reactions: dwward

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I experienced this issue last night. As always, I check out my car before I leave the garage into the house and I noticed condensation inside the bottom front portion of the housings. I checked it again this morning before I left for work and it had dried up making it very hard to prove to the dealer this is even happening. I guess I'll have to wait until it happens again and take pictures of it before I make the appointment with the dealer to have them replaced. I'll keep everyone abreast of continuing events on this matter as they unfold.

-Eric
Pictures tell a thousand words, everyone has cameras now so always take pics

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am now having the same problem with condensation inside my headlamps on my new '15 that I had on my '14. I traded my '14 in without addressing the problem, but now in that I intend to keep my new one, long term, I want to get to the bottom of it. I assume they will replace under warranty but I'm wondering if anyone else has been having this happen recently? IMG_2578.JPG Runs inside the lower front left...

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Looks like you have a leak somewhere George. Does this happen when you wash your Z51 as well as when you experience rain? With that pic you certainly can go to your dealer for warranty replacement.

·
Registered
425 Posts
How very strange that this happened to you with both a '14 and a '15, when it doesn't seem to be a super common problem.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
How very strange that this happened to you with both a '14 and a '15, when it doesn't seem to be a super common problem.
It's happened to a fair number of 2014 cars and if the root cause was not addressed, it is to be expected again for 2015's.

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
I agree. I haven't seen any statistics that indicate this is a design problem. There are always a small percentage of cars by any OEM with head light leaks causing fogging. Not that it minimizes the design issue Yalp YnB, but were your '14 and '15 power washed or exposed to high pressure streams of water?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Our 14 has the same problem not very happy. Never power washed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do these headlights have vents? I had the same issue with my 1996 Jaguar XK8. There was a small vent tube that was open to the engine compartment to keep it from happening and mine was blocked.
Alan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts