Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

Never owned a Corvette before (BMW and Mercedes in the past with a Honda S2000 for fun), but I just haven't been able to take my eyes off the new C7.

Finally went to a couple of dealerships the past few weeks and put in my deposit today. (3LT w/Z51...who knows how long it'll be!) By the way, for those in the Bay Area--I had a horrible experience at Courtesy and a much better one at Boardwalk where I placed my deposit. Hopefully they have good allocation there.

Looking forward to learning lots and lots from everybody here!

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
My deposit is at Boardwalk. I have heard several bad things from Courtesy. What number are you on the Z51 list at Boardwalk?

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My deposit is at Boardwalk. I have heard several bad things from Courtesy. What number are you on the Z51 list at Boardwalk?
Rodney,
I didn't think to ask until I read the useful information link. :) I'll let you know when I hear back from Boardwalk.

Thanks for the welcome jsvette!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rodney,
Still asking Boardwalk for my exact number but they didn't respond via email yet.

Meanwhile, I've kept emailing Courtesy Chevrolet since I've read up on the forums and the entire allocation process, especially the part about dealers being able to show you a letter with their allocation. This is the type of response I'm getting from them. Are they actually correct in their answers, or am I right in that they are just being sketchy?

--
I asked them
1) if the depost was fully refundable,
2) what Z51 allocation number I would be, and
3) what their allocation from GM is for the Z51. Their response was:
The deposit goes towards your down of your purchase and is refundable. There is no way to tell when your order would go in or what number you are as GM is too inconsistent with constraints. People that had their order s in last went first and in the first last. It's to hard to tell to make a judgement call. GM could pick up and everything could run faster or it could stay like it has since June when we first started putting in orders. I don't like to over promise my guest's just to tickle their ears so to speak.
watch my guest orders every week and give them updates once a month until we get close, updates will be given every week until its put into preliminary you will get a code to track your order at that time.
Constraints are nation wide. Some weeks its roof orders and carbon fiber instrument panel, and or z51 package. Other weeks it's let a couple orders through, this is also nation wide.

We do have the most allocations around then our close neighbors so that is a good thing as we are a Cal Superstore and have sold tons of corvettes the year before and get the most allocations. To give.

If you wish to put in your order and get on the list, I have sent the credit application to fill out and submit. Once sumbitted pkease let me know and I will be glad to take the deposit over the phone with a credit card to secure your order.
I pointed out that they didn't really answer my question and asked them again:

1) Is the deposit refundable at any time, for any reason?
2) On the orders, can you tell me what number I would be at courtesy regarding Z51 orders? In other words, how many Z51 pre-orders are ahead of me?
3) I'm glad to hear that you have the most allocation. Can you tell me how many more Z51 allocations you have for the year?

Yes it is refundable. It seems you are unsure? Theres no way of knowing how many allocations we shall receive no one knows. The reason being is because of constraints. It is impossible to know just how many GM will be putting out...you have about 20 orders ahead of yours. Could be 10 it just depends on how the orders are with what constraints are being tied to the specific order that is up to be built...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hacuzzi I'm in Texas but a lot of what your dealer told you is consistent with what my dealer told me. Having said that, my dealer told me exactly what their allocation was for the rest of 2014 and they told me where I was in line as well as how many z51's were ahead of me. They also explained to me that since I wasn't getting the CF options that I would likely jump ahead of several others on the list. So, in my limited experience, I think there is more they could tell you that they haven't but most of what they said is consistent with what I was told here. My sales rep couldn't answer my allocation questions so he went to the sales manager and I had an immediate answer.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
As far as I can tell, nothing they said is technically a lie, although I question their claim that they "get the most allocations around than their close neighbors". What do they define as "close"? If they mean within 5 miles and within the city limits of San Jose, it may again be true. If they mean within 50 miles, I think that is probably not true.

When they said they do not know how many Z51 they will get, it is technically true. However, they do know how many StingRay coupes and convertibles they will get for the rest of the year. They could give you the total allocation they have, then say the Z51 constraint is currently at 57% the last week, 50% the week before, and based on that trend you can estimate their remaining Z51 allocation yourself. For example, let's say you want a Z51 coupe, and their known total coupe allocation for the rest of MY14 is 20. Then a really good guess for their Z51 allocation is between 20*50% and 20*57% or that is between 10 and 12, or so.

Finally, they could tell you what number you are on their internal list. It is true people may go a little out of order because someone ahead of you may want something constrained and get skipped over. But, that is actually a good thing for you. I prefer to get a worst-case scenario and then any surprise will be a pleasant one. So, what you do want is to know exactly what number you are in line, and then that will give you a worst-case scenario.

In summary, I think probably every word they said is technically true, but I also think they a lot of what they said is misleading and not with full, helpful disclosure.

I am very happy with all the help I have received so far from Boardwalk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, it wasn't like anything was a lie but they definitely aren't trying to be helpful.
I'd rather take give my money to a more open and helpful dealer. Boardwalk has been answering my questions much more openly.

(sorry, sounds like this thread should almost be moved to the purchasing topic)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hacuzzi

I went to three different Chevy dealers in Nor Cal and I got different answers from them all. I went to Courtesy just to look at the Vettes they had in stock and they were cagey about how many allotments they had, they never really answered my questions they just dodged them. I didn't like the feeling I was getting so I left. I made one call to Mcmulkin in NH and they were totally different in their approach and were very honest with their answers. I gave them a deposit two weeks ago and I am supposed to go to 2000 this week when Chevy picks up the orders. I ordered a 3LT Z51 convertible and I plan on taking a museum delivery so dealer location is not important.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Yea, it wasn't like anything was a lie but they definitely aren't trying to be helpful.
I'd rather take give my money to a more open and helpful dealer. Boardwalk has been answering my questions much more openly.

(sorry, sounds like this thread should almost be moved to the purchasing topic)
Who are you talking to at Boardwalk? Is it Tim or Ben? They both have been extremely helpful to me.

To each his own, but I prefer to do business locally with people I can see in person, talk to leisurely, and build a relationship with. I also look forward to great service there after the sale. Also, if someone treats me right and are helpful, I will always put in a good word for them. It is only fair. So, I recommend them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Who are you talking to at Boardwalk? Is it Tim or Ben? They both have been extremely helpful to me.

To each his own, but I prefer to do business locally with people I can see in person, talk to leisurely, and build a relationship with. I also look forward to great service there after the sale. Also, if someone treats me right and are helpful, I will always put in a good word for them. It is only fair. So, I recommend them.
rdslon01
I agree with you 100% about keeping your business local as long as they can deliver. I really don't have a local dealer as I live in the Sierras and Boardwalk or Courtesy are 3 + hours away for me. I had a deposit with a dealer in the valley but after a month they still could not tell me if they were even getting any allocations for the rest of this model year. I never tried Boardwalk but I have heard a lot of positive comments about them. When I get my car I will probably have Able Chevrolet do the service work as they support a racing program there with their Corvettes and their guys are supposed to be pretty sharp, but they are also a 2 hour drive away from me.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Hey smokey, I wasn't trying to contradict you. I know different plans work for different people. I am glad everything is working out for you! I hope to meet up with you sometime. Best wishes!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Rod
No problem, I didn't take it that way but I was a little torn about going out of state with my purchase. I felt I had very little choice if I wanted to get the car of my dreams. I have never worried to much about where to get my vehicles serviced because I have a brother in law who owns a Corvette and customs repair facility in Hayward. He gets all my non warranty business. I would like to meet up with you guys once I get back into a Corvette!

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Do you have any suggestions about detailers in the Bay Area? Does your brother-in-law only do repair work, or does he do other car-related work as well (small modifications, etc.)? What I am thinking is painting my calipers to match the body color. I am NOT any good at painting...

·
Registered
504 Posts
He does repairs and restorations but not paint work. I really can't offer any recommendations on detailers but I am sure there are a few good ones out there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I'm talking to Ben. He's been good at answering my questions and even sending me pictures of some of the various interior options.

smokey12: Awesome that you're making some good progress! I definitely got the same negative feeling at Courtesy every time I talk to them.

Boardwalk and Courtesy are like night and day.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I'm talking to Ben. He's been good at answering my questions and even sending me pictures of some of the various interior options.

smokey12: Awesome that you're making some good progress! I definitely got the same negative feeling at Courtesy every time I talk to them.

Boardwalk and Courtesy are like night and day.
Ben Kaupp is my salesman also. I really like him. He is a good guy to just have a chat with, too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts