Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just one of the many things going wrong with our Stingray. I was initially washing my new car and rinsing it without a care where the water was going, specifically the hood vent. I just assumed that the hood vent was made to channel any water that went into it to a location where it could be dispersed. Well, any water that goes into that hood vent goes directly onto the radiator and wherever else it wants to go. After some good washes I decided to get under the hood to wipe things down. I noticed that while letting the rinse water go into the hood vent it also soaks the hood liner. So now I have a hood liner with white water stains on it reaching about 8 inches away from the opening. Is anyone else having this issue? I know, I know. Don't let anymore water go down that vent. That would have been nice to know prior to water staining my hood liner. Also, good thing we don't drive it in the rain.
The other problems: garage door button got stuck, paint is chipping on wheels, a piece of something is under clearcoat on front bumper, all electronics on dash and radio blacked out while driving.
Everytime I wash this car I find another problem. I apologize for ranting and I know I'm going to step on some toes. We traded in a perfectly good Mercedes that had no quality issues for this expensive Vette that I am trying to ignore all the issues because it's quite frankly embarassing. Oh yeah, what's up with the rotors showing rust the minute they get wet?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Not sure what to say other than all the issues you mention should be taken care of by any competent dealer. The brake rust happens on most high performance cars, especially brembo based systems. All my Porsches did it as well as my SRT Jeep and any other car I've with a high carbon content high performance rotors. There's nothing the dealer is going to do about the brake rotors.

So far, on the 3 major forums no one has mentioned staining on the hood liner but I don't understand why you would think there is a problem driving the car in the rain.

Reactions: STUNG

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Are you using a pressure washer?
No staining on my hood liner and I wash the vette after every time I use it. I only get home once a week so I want the car looking it's best when I open the garage door.
I've been caught in the rain a few times. Still no issue.
As for the rotors, I just run the car around the block after washing and they come out rust free.
As for the electronics, just talk to the dealer.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Wet liner

Hello Bakerboys8:

I am anal about washing my Vette and I have never had an issue with the underhood liner getting wet. Mine was installed by me as it is the accessory Stingray logo one. The water is supposed to drain the way you described. Lift the hood more often after washing and wipe it down when you clean your engine off, perhaps you can see where the water is coming from. Perhaps the alignment of the air duct is off. Rusty rotors is normal and is gone after the first brake application while driving after the wash. "German Steel I guess" haha!! just funnin..... I think you need to have the car checked at a dealer for instalation and fit of the liner as well as the other issues you are experiencing.

Good luck.

STUNG:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
The garage door button sticking is a known issue. You will have to have the whole visor replaced. The new one seems to be a little more substantial. You just have to push on it lightly. Program one of the other two buttons until you get it into the dealer.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My liner gets wet and has turned "white" as described. Wiped/dabbed it off with really damp rag and most if it went away. I think it is soap from high pressure washer at car wash. Not worried about it but figured I'd chime in.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was surprised when I opened my hood for the first time after taking delivery and noticed "white" stains on the liner all around the hood vent. It wasn't me as I hadn't driven it in the rain or washed it yet, so I can only conclude that during the 24 miles the BG QA Team had my car they drove it in the rain.

But that stain bugs me and is the reason I won't spend any money on the nifty colored logo liner.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I was surprised when I opened my hood for the first time after taking delivery and noticed "white" stains on the liner all around the hood vent. It wasn't me as I hadn't driven it in the rain or washed it yet, so I can only conclude that during the 24 miles the BG QA Team had my car they drove it in the rain.

But that stain bugs me and is the reason I won't spand any money on the nifty colored logo liner.
Should have had the dealer replace the liner right away.

Reactions: FCCCVPMan

·
Registered
149 Posts
Should have had the dealer replace the liner right away.
Too late now. I had pneumonia when I took delivery with a fever of 102, the car sat for 3 days before I felt good enough to drive it. I'll try and clean it up and since I only have the hood open for service I see no reason to get too OCD about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess the liner issue could have happened from using a car wash which I stopped doing a while ago when I found out it wasn't a good thing for such a nice car and we installed a full hood clear bra. Just hate taking her to the dealer but for some of those other issues I guess I will soon. Thanks for replies.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Drove mine through a monsoon, and have washed it at least 10 times, no problem with liner. I don't go blasting water into vent either, I direct the flow so it would be no different than a drive in the rain. Never used a power washer either though. Just a normal pressure garden hose.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have only washed my car once since I got it 5 months ago. It is a garage queen so I use a quick detailer spray and lots of micro fiber rags about every 3 days.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have only washed my car once since I got it 5 months ago. It is a garage queen so I use a quick detailer spray and lots of micro fiber rags about every 3 days.
I garden hose washed (with bucket system) my StingRay one time only too. After every outing, I use QD on the whole car (15 minute job) and cover it with the indoor cover so that it is neat and tidy, ready to take out the next opportunity.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2015 Z51. The car was parked at the dealer, outside for pickup. That day, we had 7.5 inches of rain in the Houston area. Car was in for other issues, including the climate control system. We went to pick up the car from the dealer and upon start, climate control system started blowing hot air again. Drove into covered area of dealer, left the car running so they could pull malfunction codes. Steam started coming out of the hood vent! Opened the hood to se what was the issue. Underhood felt was soaking wet.....actually draining water, like holding up a wet rag. Agree with you, we traded a perfectly good C6 Coupe with low miles for this.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Did the touchless car wash today. Some water does get in the engine compartment. Some is from the undercarriage wash. After air dry, I raise the hood and dry a little in the engine compartment with towels along with the hood and the rest of the car. I always schedule the wash before a trip on a nice dry day. My trip was 50 miles today right after wash. Any moisture in the engine compartment evaporated in the first coupla minutes of driving.

I make sure mine is "tidy" (docjb) for my next drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dealer replaced the hood liner. Had engineers look at the car to come up with a fix. Basically stated that hood vent is a bad design.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Dealer replaced the hood liner. Had engineers look at the car to come up with a fix. Basically stated that hood vent is a bad design.
tjwest, that is good news they replaced the hood liner, are they going to replace the hood vent?

SF
Rick

1 - 20 of 44 Posts