Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems keeping my seats set. I'm thinking maybe I have fob No.2 when I get in and push No.1 on the door for seat recall. I'm still learning and reading every post about issues and corrections. When I get out of the Vette and come back later both driver and passenger mirrors are out of whack, I have to adjust them everytime before I drive.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Remove the key out of the fob and you find a 1 or 2 stamped in the metal. Thats is how you can tell them apart.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Wow as I live and learn :) Even though I had checked my keys for differentiating marks I never saw any. After reading Avgguy's post I looked again and lo and behold, there is a very small 1 or 2 stamped into one of the recesses on each key. You really have to look carefully in good lighting to see it. Here is a picture I just took of one of RedHot's :

key.jpg

By the by, what I have done with my Stingray (and my XTS, since it has the same type of fob also without any external differentiation) key fobs to distinguish #1 from #2 is to put a small dot of paint on the top of one.

Thanks Avgguy! I am curious how you knew that number was stamped in there. :cool:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just checked mine...both say "2" - not kidding. Keys look alike.....got some investigating to do this afternoon....

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Avgguy, Thank you very much! This is why I'm a member of Stingrayforums and no other! I can ask a question and it may not seem important to most people, but the members on this forum will give me a solid answer without being a smarta**. (look it up!, read your manual!, etc). I learn something new everyday from this forum and I'm grateful for the knowledge that my fellow Vette owners pass on, so I can pass that knowledge on also. The "How to videos" are outstanding, I've watch them sitting in my Vette in front of my house learning.

I have been using fob no. 2. could this be the reason why my mirrors are out of whack when I return to my Vette? Is our Vettes set to fob no. 1 from the factory? Is there a way to set up your Vette (seats, mirrors, etc) to fob no.1 & no.2 ? Thanks again everybody for passing your knowledge. I read through every post like I would an "Operation Order", prior to going on a mission.

SF
Rick
Remove the key out of the fob and you find a 1 or 2 stamped in the metal. Thats is how you can tell them apart.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Avgguy, Thank you very much! This is why I'm a member of Stingrayforums and no other! I can ask a question and it may not seem important to most people, but the members on this forum will give me a solid answer without being a smarta**. (look it up!, read your manual!, etc). I learn something new everyday from this forum and I'm grateful for the knowledge that my fellow Vette owners pass on, so I can pass that knowledge on also. The "How to videos" are outstanding, I've watch them sitting in my Vette in front of my house learning.

I have been using fob no. 2. could this be the reason why my mirrors are out of whack when I return to my Vette? Is our Vettes set to fob no. 1 from the factory? Is there a way to set up your Vette (seats, mirrors, etc) to fob no.1 & no.2 ? Thanks again everybody for passing your knowledge. I read through every post like I would an "Operation Order", prior to going on a mission.

SF
Rick
Hi Rick,

Using the fob with the cast #2 on it as your primary should make no difference. I have been using my #2 since I set RedHot up and had no problems with mirrors or seat etc. Just go back into preferences after you have opened Stingray with your #2 fob and reset all of the relevant settings from mirrors on backup, to exit position, to driving position, each time ensuring you are saving it. That should solve your problem. :cool:

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Just checked mine...both say "2" - not kidding. Keys look alike.....got some investigating to do this afternoon....
I wonder how that could happen. Did they give you a wrong key by mistake? Do the shafts on both keys have exactly the same cuts/shape and do both physical keys work on the rear of your car to manually open the hatch?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Both of mine are #1....not sure how this matters , my settings for seat and exit work fine on 1 and 2 memories, took a few times to get the setup chirp, but it all works....mine is glitch free as an auto trans, the manual trans has glitches in the programming....

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
I am not sure but possibly if both fobs are #1s or both are #2s, while you can successfully set up the preferences for Memory 1 and Memory 2, the car might not automatically on entry recognize and differentiate between Memory 1 and Memory 2 based solely on the fob. Whereas if you have two different fobs (that is a #1 and a #2) the car should correctly select Memory 1 or Memory 2 respective to the key fob on entry.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I wonder how that could happen. Did they give you a wrong key by mistake? Do the shafts on both keys have exactly the same cuts/shape and do both physical keys work on the rear of your car to manually open the hatch?
I had the same thoughts....just reached out to my dealer to see if a fob was misplaced; and possibly a new key cut & replaced with a spare.

Both fobs work as remotes - lock/unlock/open trunk. Both keys look the same, both keys manually open the trunk. However, the first one I tried set off the alarm, 2nd did not...not certain if this is the key, or how the car is programmed.

First key opened trunk & triggered alarm, which pressing "lock" button on fob stopped. Then tried second key, it also opened trunk, but no alarm - again, not certain if car was in same "state" when I tried each of the keys - may have been locked first time, unlocked second.

In any case, both fobs seem to function, we'll see how they interface with memory settings - I have a 7-speed manual.....

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am not sure but possibly if both fobs are #1s or both are #2s, while you can successfully set up the preferences for Memory 1 and Memory 2, the car might not automatically on entry recognize and differentiate between Memory 1 and Memory 2 based solely on the fob. Whereas if you have two different fobs (that is a #1 and a #2) the car should correctly select Memory 1 or Memory 2 respective to the key fob on entry.
I work in high tech, so sometimes too smart for my own good.

Since the number is actually stamped on the key, and *NOT* the fob, I would presume the car would recognize the fobs are different and link with Memory 1 & Memory 2 programming. Thinking the fobs have different "electronic signatures" and thus the number on the metal key portion not actually relevant other than telling one fob from the other.

Additionally, if you switched the keys in your fobs, the fob the car recognizes as #1 stays the same, even though it would now be attached to key #2......

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Good point ALF01.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just went and checked my fobs to confirm what I've thought when reading about this previously. Both mine are #1.

I am 99% certain that these are merely the cavity numbers from the die casting tool. There are likely 2 cavities in the tool for various reasons not pertinent to this discussion. And when these come out of the tool, they simply go into a big bin. What goes into your fob is random IMO.

And as was mentioned above, since there are 8 fobs possible to program into the C7, where are keys embossed #3-#8? I've never seen anything but 1 & 2 mentioned in these key threads.

I believe it's the fob transmitter has the unique electronic signature, not the key. The fob # may be able to link with vehicle preferences like seat memory, but the manual is not clear (imagine that...). Best I can see is on page 3-5 with a potential fob to seat memory link. And it's clear the car knows how many fobs have been programmed, but not necessarily which is which. If it were important, I think it would have to be documented somewhere both for how to get the car to tell you which one is which, but also what vehicle preferences can link to it. There is nothing on page 2-6 other than how to simply add a fob. No reference to the importance of the fob #. Probably someone has figured this out.

I just can't see anything physically or from a practical standpoint that would make the metal key insert the "unique" part.

Maybe someone who has linked their fob to a memory number can switch the metal keys between fobs and verify it still works the same way with a different key inside.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
My wife's Cadillac knows which fob is which. When she opens the door, the seat and mirrors automatically go to her positions. When I open the door, the seat and mirrors automatically go to my positions.

My key has a little "2" inside; her key has a little "1". If you manually push the buttons on the door, button 1 takes you to her settings, and button 2 takes you to mine.

I am sure if you swapped out the metal keys, the memory would stay with the electronics, not the metal piece. I think the number stamped in the metal is just for dealerships to keep the fobs ordered when they give them to you and set up the memory preferences for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts