Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of talk on how to mount your front license plate, so I thought I might share how I mounted my rear license plate.

Rumor has it, mounting your rear plate directly to your car will eventually scratch your paint. (with all the vibration going on
back there) Some people have reported that that even applying adhesive weatherstripping to the plate will eventually turn it into a strip of sandpaper over time with any small amount of dirt trapped between the plate and the painted surface.

I had originally planned on buying thick rubber washers to place between the painted surface and the bolt in an
attempt to create a sort of "air gap" between the plate and the car, but I ended up finding something better.

All found at Home Depot in the Hardware section

EVERBILT Expansion Nuts - 1/4in 20 Coarse Brass plated
SKU 8748014388

EVERBILT Round Head Combo 1/4in - 20 x 1 - 1/4in
SKU 8748014501

The expansion nuts are rubber coated and so the fat end can safely rest against your car. Insert the bolt through the
license plate, through the nut, and into the nylon nut on your vette. Be sure to get at least 1-1/4 inch bolts.

The expansion nuts look like this:
nutInsert.png

One thing I was concerned about is that dealer provided license plate bolts had a coarser threading than the nuts and bolts I wanted to buy. They were labeled as "coarse", but definitely had a finer threading. However they ended up working just fine. I suppose the plastic holes attached to the license plate area are forgiving as I had no problems screwing it in.

Here is what it looks like when its all put together
plate.jpg

Does anyone know if those white nylon nuts come threaded or not? My dealer had already attached my temporary tags when I picked up the car, so I don't know what they look like from the factory. Just wondering if I re-threaded those nuts by putting in finer threaded bolts.

Another idea for all you getting a clear bra installed is to have your installer put some in the plate area.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I cut out a small square from a microfiber towel and placed it behind the plate to dampen the vibration.
Not a big deal, if it scratches behind the plate, who will see it or who cares.

Reactions: mjw930

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I cut out a small square from a microfiber towel and placed it behind the plate to dampen the vibration.
Not a big deal, if it scratches behind the plate, who will see it or who cares.
Sorry for the ignorance but I don't have mine yet and I didn't look closely at the ones I've seen but are there 4 mounting holes from the factory?

If there are then a simple rubber or nylon stand off washer on all 4 bolts and the plate can't move or ever come in contact with the bumper, problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Area 473, thank you! Nice to avoid the rattle and especially nice to have "star pin" special removal/attachment wrench, as I have twice come out to find my daily drivers' license plates, which were attached with a screwdriver, removed. Have my Corvette plates installed with something very similar to what you have linked.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Great looking Vette C7Jake! Love the paint color and how it works with the wheels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just screwed it to the body but after I put a soft Pep-Boys plate surround around it.
WL170-E1_1.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts