Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a vette and is waiting to get intercity to ship it. I've been reading up, and the dealership has been super helpful. However this is my first ever out of state car purchase, I've never had a car shipped to me! Would love to hear any experience with intercity, any tips on shipping a car, basically any advice would be welcome! So excited and can't wait!

·
18,669 Posts
There are several top name shippers who do a great job. Intercity, Passport, Horseless Carraige and Thomas Sunday are just a few. Bought a Corvette on the east coast and InterCity brought it to me. Perfect delivery. They were and are able to track the truck as it goes across the country to within six feet. They assign you a shipping rep, and, for example, when I called to inquire about its progress one day, she said, it is on I-70, approaching the entrance to Abilene, exit # 272. That was a few years ago, and by now, maybe you can even track its progress on your computer or smartphone? Only tip, go with enclosed shipping.

Anyone have more recent experiences?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I haven't used Intercity before, but most shippers won't move until they have a full load coming your way. Depending on how busy they are it can be days or weeks before they head out. Not trying to sound like a pessimist, just my own experience. Just stay in constant contact with them so you are informed and there are no surprises.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Where are you shipping from?

Reliable, Intercity and a couple others will have a lot of trailers heading out of central FL at the end of the month and consequently will have a lot of their capacity in use due to the Mecum auction in Kissimmee. They will also have a lot of rigs tied up coming out of Scottsdale on the 19th of the month. Depending on where you are shipping from that could have an effect. January is a very busy month for high end shippers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm shipping from macmulkin in NH, to WA. Intercity is telling me end of Jan for a pickup, best case... Should I shop around?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
It's obvious you want an enclosed carrier so that pretty much leaves you with the big three, Intercity, Reliable and Horseless Carriage. There are a number of other, smaller operations, some with good reputations, some with no reputation at all, you will need to do your research.

What you really need to ensure is you are talking to and dealing with the actual carrier and not a broker. It's quite simple, ask them point blank, are these your rigs and drivers or are you a broker for independents?

Most definitely call them all and let them know you are shopping their main competition, it will ensure you get the best price with the timeliest pickup.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Given the recent winter weather, and the longer range forecast for more winter storms, you will be lucky to get it by the end of Jan. but good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, its looking like early Feb before I get my ride :'( gives me time to obsessively read manuals and the forum.. Or buy random accessories...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts