Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering yesterday if there is a way to easily, or worst case, the not easy way to find out how many of my car were made this year. The exact build. Is there any way to find this out?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I was wondering yesterday if there is a way to easily, or worst case, the not easy way to find out how many of my car were made this year. The exact build. Is there any way to find this out?
The best way if to get the "Black Book" at the end of the year. it has all the numbers, colors, options etc. I keep one in the car just to solve arguments. The book is good reading for Corvette folks. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Wikipedia has general production data going back to the beginning in 1953.

I think it is an easy assumption that at some point it will be updated with the 2014 production data.

I believe however the black book will offer greater detail on production data.

Here is the Wikipedia link: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yes, the black book is the best way as far as the general public is conserned. I got one when I bought my 09 ZR1 and it was most helpfull. I think if you contact the NCM they sell them but 2014 probably not avaiable until September or October. I know my 2014 is rare in the local area, no others been sold with my option packages, but not sure on the rest of the world. Good luck and let us know what your results are when you find them out.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Thanks Charlie. Where do you buy that book? Or were you pulling my layman leg? ; )
Go to the museum store as they sell them. My current issue is the 2011 as I had a 2010 Blade Silver that the book showed was a low number produced. My advice is to wait until the end of the 2014 production and buy the book. Its simply called the CORVETTE BLACK BOOK in production since 1978. Most of us NCM and NCRS members believe the numbers contained therein. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Go to the museum store as they sell them. My current issue is the 2011 as I had a 2010 Blade Silver that the book showed was a low number produced. My advice is to wait until the end of the 2014 production and buy the book. Its simply called the CORVETTE BLACK BOOK in production since 1978. Most of us NCM and NCRS members believe the numbers contained therein. cutnout aka Charlie
Forgot to say that it cost about 18 bucks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I wonder where my LRG ZF1 will stack up through out Vette history?
I would predict very rare--the black book will say how many in a particular color and options...yours could be rare based on color and options. cutnout aka Charlie

·
18,670 Posts
It would be nice if there was detailed computational info available from GM exactly how rare a car is. For example, if there were (hypothetically), 85 with option a, and 175 with option B, a car could be anywhere between "1 of 85" or "1 of 1."

GM does not currently give anyone the availability to learn that level of uniqueness, yet that is info their Cray supercomputer could easily determine. Would you pay $250 (or some other amount) to get definitive proof of your car's rarity?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It would be nice if there was detailed computational info available from GM exactly how rare a car is. For example, if there were (hypothetically), 85 with option a, and 175 with option B, a car could be anywhere between "1 of 85" or "1 of 1."

GM does not currently give anyone the availability to learn that level of uniqueness, yet that is info their Cray supercomputer could easily determine. Would you pay $250 (or some other amount) to get definitive proof of your car's rarity?
A certificate from GM would be a good thing. If we think the Black Book is correct then an owner could get pretty close. I found in the book that my 2010 blade silver with graphic stripes, auto, npp 4lt,nav etc listed only 121 cars produced. Close enough for me if the data is good. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A certificate from GM would be a good thing. If we think the Black Book is correct then an owner could get pretty close. I found in the book that my 2010 blade silver with graphic stripes, auto, npp 4lt,nav etc listed only 121 cars produced. Close enough for me if the data is good. cutnout aka Charlie
That's exactly what I am looking for. If I have black on black, 2LT, visible Carbon fiber roof, npp, 7 spd, z51 with carbon dash and black painted calipers, chrome wheels, how many of that were made. How many were made of the same but with red painted calipers. Were there more made with MRC, or less? I haven't seen one owner on here with what I described above so I got curious of how many there are that were made like this..

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That's exactly what I am looking for. If I have black on black, 2LT, visible Carbon fiber roof, npp, 7 spd, z51 with carbon dash and black painted calipers, chrome wheels, how many of that were made. How many were made of the same but with red painted calipers. Were there more made with MRC, or less? I haven't seen one owner on here with what I described above so I got curious of how many there are that were made like this..
you will find it in the black book even with the RPO codes. Interesting book and no I don't get a reward for recommending it. I do like to buy it at the museum as they need the money. You could easily have one of a few. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
582 Posts
I wonder how rare my steak will be tonight! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Don't worry: by the time the production run is over for this generation, your color combo will be one of the many millions that will have been made

·
Registered
307 Posts
Lol: right now your new stingray is a novelty just like mine. It's a very cool car. But you will become bored in a year or two, when you realize that your black/black is just another stingray and they all start getting discounted. This isn't a 63 split window with the window and tank sticker you know

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I find that depreciation is real. I found in my case that some visionaries in the Corvette world like to find a low vin,the last of the model year and/or a low production Corvette even if it is not the loaded model. In my case it bumped up the sale potential of my Grand Sport--one of 121. Don't misread I did not get my money back but I did get high book. Sharing is good. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
307 Posts
John: unless any of them were really made in a true one or two year limited volume, it probably is a waste of time to consider rarity. The volume will ramp up next year, the dealers will be discounting and they will become a dime a dozen. These days, you buy these cars to enjoy vs trying to analyze their rarity. Those days are over.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
John: unless any of them were really made in a true one or two year limited volume, it probably is a waste of time to consider rarity. The volume will ramp up next year, the dealers will be discounting and they will become a dime a dozen. These days, you buy these cars to enjoy vs trying to analyze their rarity. Those days are over.
Maybe true. But if the c7 turns chevy in a positive direction, changes corvette sales forever, and we have the first year of the c7 and it's 1 of 50 or 100 or whatever, it's something to hang on to. I will still drive the hell out of it, but nice to know.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts