Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I researched this mod before starting; GM method says to remove the rear fascia and the quarter panels. The American Car Craft video shows a simpler way by pulling the top of the panel outboard and using a very long reach ratchet.

I chose the ACC approach, like some members have, but I found a better way to deal with that hard to reach T nut at the rear of the vent. I used a stubby 8mm wrench as shown in this picture: (you can barely make out the chrome wrench, but you'll get the idea)

Combining a small flashlight and a magnet tool pressed against the nut as it was loosened, I was able to extract the nut without losing it....

I realized the nut is optional once the vent is installed so I left it off in case I need to remove the vents later, but I did use a small piece of 3M double sided tape anyway at the tip. The vent is secure without the nut...you'd never know the nut is not installed.

Here is the finished work. I had the Z06 vents painted Torch Red on the top surface only. To me, this looks so much better than the original GM vent. Note how the paint shop (Brighton Ford's new state-of-the-art facility) perfectly terminated the paint at the front of the vent. Some pics....

I had no trouble at all unhooking the panel from the rear side windows; same re-installing them. As others have pointed out, it does help to put a plastic wedge tool under the black seal at the rear of the window while pushing the panel back in place.

One issue was I had a tough time trying to remove each vent once the T nuts were removed. I basically had to 'manhandle' the pieces out of the panel. The ABS/PC material can take quite a beating without cracking. These are well-engineered components....GM and/or their supplier is to be commended.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
digitalstingray, outstanding looking mod and the paint matched perfect.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Well done and well thought out. Looks great! Painting them was a nice addition.

Gus

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Looks really nice.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Kvozel....what do u mean?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just wanted to say Thank You!
With the ACC video, the pics, the comments on this posting, I was able to tackle doing this today.
I have to say my ten year old son was a great helper, his hands are small and he was able to get in there easily with the wrench while I held the panel. First mod I do with my son!
IMG_5089.JPG

Reactions: German and jsvette

·
Registered
631 Posts
Does anyone have the part number for the Carbon Flash painted scooped vents? Thanks.

·
18,670 Posts
I would suggest calling and ordering from subchev, talk with Neko there. He knows every part # (of course not memorized). His phone number is 1.503.668.5555, is in Monday-Friday, 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM, PST.

His pricing is outstanding, as is his service. Please mention you are an SRF member if you choose to call him.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Will do, John, thanks. I’ve bought from them before and been completely satisfied.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts