Stingray Corvette Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I have been told that some of the wireless relay boards now have both a NO (normally open) and NC (normally closed) solder points on the board. Mine doesn't, so I can't verify the following. But if yours does, and you de-solder the hot lead from the default location and re-solder it to the other, it should work as you wish, but at the expense of a slight current draw even when the car is off.

Otherwise, if you connect the ground wire outside the fuse box (rather than to pin 87 inside), and hold the "On" button on the remote as you start the car, it will start in quiet mode.

Reactions: Torch-Red-Z06

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have been told that some of the wireless relay boards now have both a NO (normally open) and NC (normally closed) solder points on the board. Mine doesn't, so I can't verify the following. But if yours does, and you de-solder the hot lead from the default location and re-solder it to the other, it should work as you wish, but at the expense of a slight current draw even when the car is off.

Otherwise, if you connect the ground wire outside the fuse box (rather than to pin 87 inside), and hold the "On" button on the remote as you start the car, it will start in quiet mode.

Do you know IF I use the internal ground AND hold the button down whether it helps at all with the initial "bark"? Normally I drive in track all the time but when I start up in the garage at home and especially the parking garage at the work the car "barks" a little more right at startup than others would like. I like it : ). Stock it was fine but with a Borla X-pipe and axle back its quite a bit louder.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Using the internal ground, the best I've been able to do is to hit the button repeatedly as I start the car. You'll still get that initial "bark," but only for a second before the valves close. It seems that that internal ground isn't actually grounded until after the ignition is on.

Just had a thought, which I've never tried, and would be a PITA anyway, but here it is: If you turn the ignition on first, by holding the start button down for 8 seconds without pushing in the clutch (on a manual -- not sure exactly how to do it on an auto), that probably grounds the internal connection. Then, holding the button while starting *might* keep the valves closed.

But if it's a real issue, running the ground outside might be the best solution.

Reactions: Torch-Red-Z06

·
Registered
456 Posts
How To: Do it yourself Mild to Wild switch (remote NPP "fuse pull")

So thanks to everyone that provided input on this mod I finished mine tonight. My main reason for this mod is to be able to start in quiet mode, especiallly for parking garage at work!! Because of this I used an external ground as shown in the images below (below airbox and alternator area.....M8 flat washer and nut with ring terminal on top of existing funky nut-stud fastener). Since I WILL NOT put a notch in the fuse box "lip" I am running (smashing) the two small ground wires and the black braided sheathing under the fuse box lid. Hopefully this will be fine. Further down in the sheathing it transitions to a larger guage ground wire.

Cutting the box was a PITA but it worked out well enough. I got the screws to line up but to make the box more structurally sound I wrapped it high temp/non-conductive capton tape. Ugly but its solid.

My wire routing isn't the prettiest and if I did it again it would look more tidy. Once I get some small black tie-wraps I replace the white ones. : )

I have the remote programmed to the HomeLink so when I hold the Homelink button when I start the car I can get it to start "quiet". Now I won't make my co-workers ears bleed in the concrete parking garage at work when I first start up the car. Oh, and the wife kinda doesn't like the racket in the garage when I leave in the morning either. :tickled_pink:

Once again, thanks to all involved.

IMG_4277.JPG

IMG_4278.JPG

IMG_4280.JPG

IMG_4281.JPG

IMG_4282.JPG

IMG_4284.JPG

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Looks good.

I initially had mine routed outside the fusebox, and like you I just "smashed" the wire. Never had a bit of problem with it.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts