Stingray Corvette Forum banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great thread with lots of great advice for the all too common roof noise issues.. I have done the front O rings and it did seem to help my issue rather well but i have I also feel its important to stay on top of the lubing as well. I keep reading about the 5 contact points but really would love to see a visual of where to apply on each of these contact points and an idea of how much to use.

Thanks all..

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Once you take off the top, flip it upside down, and also look at what is on the car itself, you will easily see five different protruding metal attachment and alignment pins/posts/arms. Sorry, do not have a picture of it, but am sure all will readily find them. Someone told me about those five points, and opened it up, and they were all there im obvious-sight. Next time I lube mine, will take a picture and post here unless someone has already posted that pic.

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Great thread with lots of great advice for the all too common roof noise issues.. I have done the front O rings and it did seem to help my issue rather well but i have I also feel its important to stay on top of the lubing as well. I keep reading about the 5 contact points but really would love to see a visual of where to apply on each of these contact points and an idea of how much to use.

Thanks all..
Each of the 'stud' or pins plus the rear latch. They are circled on the image of a panel removed and upside down here:

CRL dot matrix installed- hardware circled.jpg

I would also ensure that the body contact gasket is very lightly lubed (put on a latex glove, put a dab of lube on the gasket, and rub gently in all the way around).

Reactions: The Phoenix

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I scheduled my 2015 for service I told them about the top noises. They said they will fix it. I have the 2 top option and asked the dealer if I should bring both tops. They said no because what they fix is in the car not the roofs. What ever they did worked. NO Noise. Thanks for the offer Jeff.

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
When I scheduled my 2015 for service I told them about the top noises. They said they will fix it. I have the 2 top option and asked the dealer if I should bring both tops. They said no because what they fix is in the car not the roofs. What ever they did worked. NO Noise. Thanks for the offer Jeff.
Glad it is fixed. Was there any detail in the service write-up that might be useful to other members?

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
568 Posts
Problem is back arleady :( Oh well, not gonna let it get me down.
I think I have finally made my roof panel quiet. After having the dealer replace my parts per the bulletin and lubricating all the points and adjusting the rear latch, I recalled a member using a couple strips of bicycle inner tube to create a buffer under the handle "cam."

I found a roll of 3M rubber mastic tape (available at some home stores and electrical supply stores) and cut a couple strips and put them between the latch and the frame. Worked like a champ. In cold weather and an 85 degree day in Florida ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1457655264.061907.jpg

I know I'll have to put them in place every time I install the roof panel, but I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would also be very interested in finding out what your service department did to repair this.
My Chevy dealership / service department is still searching for an answer.

In fact if we at least knew the dealership then the GM's ChevroletCustomerCare member could probably find out from them direct.
Thank you! Glad yours if fixed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I couldn't get them to tell me exactly what they did to fix it at the dealer except the fix was 2 the car not the roofs. If your dealer doesn't know how to fix, Slim at Findlay Chevy in Las Vegas does. I don't know if I'm allowed to give a phone # but anyone should be able to get it on line.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
An update on my roof. The rubber o-rings and tightening of the rear latch kept my roof quiet for about 13,000 miles. Recently, it began making noise again. The dealer replaced all the latches per the bulletin. Once again the roof is quiet. Then again, the weather has been so nice that I haven't used the roof very much. :cool:

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·

·
Registered
352 Posts
The bike inner tube rubber idea suggested by C7DriverOnt seems to be right on the money (Thx). I tried O-Rings, grease, tightening here, loosening there, you name them, and they all helped but noises did not go completely and would come back to full "drive-me-nuts" mode soon.

I used silicone rubber (really good damping properties) sheet and just cut it into pads the same shape (small parallelogram) as the base of the striker slots on the frame and glued them there, once the striker inserts snap in place in the frame slots when you close the handle, they bear padded on the silicone/rubber which seems to take care of small displacements and vibrations/shocks that cause the noises. The only problem is that it seems like these rubber pads will need to be replaced every few roof uninstalls/installs.

Oh, and do not use grease in this area as it is best that the striker inserts do not slide relative to the rubber pads.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Took my car in to my local dealer for it's second oil change last week. There is a GM bulletin out on the roof "rattle" and they had to "order a part". I'll keep you all posted on the details once the "part" comes in. :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
easiest way to fix roof noise is to buy a roadster!

Reactions: Stingz 51

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Took my car in to my local dealer for it's second oil change last week. There is a GM bulletin out on the roof "rattle" and they had to "order a part". I'll keep you all posted on the details once the "part" comes in. :)
Probably either post #1 at http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-tsb-recalls/16783-new-tsb-recalls.html or one of the ones listed at http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-tsb-recalls/14064-going-summary-tsbs-model-year.html

·
Registered
184 Posts
The bike inner tube rubber idea suggested by C7DriverOnt seems to be right on the money (Thx). I tried O-Rings, grease, tightening here, loosening there, you name them, and they all helped but noises did not go completely and would come back to full "drive-me-nuts" mode soon.

I used silicone rubber (really good damping properties) sheet and just cut it into pads the same shape (small parallelogram) as the base of the striker slots on the frame and glued them there, once the striker inserts snap in place in the frame slots when you close the handle, they bear padded on the silicone/rubber which seems to take care of small displacements and vibrations/shocks that cause the noises. The only problem is that it seems like these rubber pads will need to be replaced every few roof uninstalls/installs.

Oh, and do not use grease in this area as it is best that the striker inserts do not slide relative to the rubber pads.
I had the new pins etc. put in a last fall, got the car out of storage first of April and so far so good. No need to go back to the inner tube fix, will keep an ear to it though as I worry about it loosening up over time. I can always go back to using a bit of inner tube if need be, hope not.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Great news "toofastmsb," and thank you for posting picture of the old roof pins compared to the new ones -- especially with your including the new pin part number. Well done! That will be helpful to all who are still experiencing roof creak noises.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just wanted to let you guys know that I had terrible popping in my 16 that had the new pins and strikers. I tried everything until someone suggested I adjust the strikers. I loosened the outer bolt and barely loosened the inner bolt and pivoted the striker down about 2mm. The roof closes much more solid now and my popping is completely gone. Previously I couldn't even leave my driveway without popping. If you've tried everything else try adjusting your strikers like I did.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts