Stingray Corvette Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
RubberBurner, where did you apply the lube? Did you also apply it to the rubber seals or only to the pins and stiker holes? Thanks.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 · (Edited)
Where did you apply the lube? Did you also apply it to the rubber seals or only to the pins and stiker holes? Thanks.
I installed GM's recommended lube with teflon (P/N #listed above), to all the perimiter rubber seals that touch the bottom of the top when it is installed, as well as applying the lube to the pins and the rear latch "catch."

And BTW, that post quote above about the jackhammer sound, then o-rings and GM lube applied, then it disappearing, now totally quiet for 11,000+ miles, was made by me -- and I therefore correct the quote post above and in post # 140 to reflect that.]

·
Registered
925 Posts
I installed GM's recommended lube with teflon (P/N #listed above), to all the perimiter rubber seals that touch the bottom of the top when it is installed, as well as applying the lube to the pins and the rear latch "catch."

And BTW, that post quote above about the jackhammer sound, then o-rings and GM lube applied, then it disappearing, now totally quiet for 11,000+ miles, was made by me -- and I therefore correct the quote post above and in post # 140 to reflect that.]
Thanks, elegant. Did you allow the lube to penetrate for a while and then wipe off the excess? I have tried using 303 and GummiPflege on my rubber seals as it is not as "greasy".

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Just applied it, spread it out with two fingers to more or less even it out, let it sit three minutes and put the top on the car. Did not wipe any off.

I hope your results are as good as mine, but realize that tops on a few cars still seem to not be quiet.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have tried all of the fixes to no avail. My problem started 2 years after purchase! Next step by dealer is to get GM engineering involved. Maybe a new top?!

·
Registered
328 Posts
RubberBurner, where did you apply the lube? Did you also apply it to the rubber seals or only to the pins and stiker holes? Thanks.
I just finished applying the lube. All noise is gone. This stuff worked like magic. Just smeared it on the rubber seals with a finger. No need to let it "sit." It's just going to lubricate the surface, acting like the cheese between two slices of bread. I also lubed the pins, and the o-rings on the pins. Just smeared that stuff on, not too thick, but enough to lubricate.

I did not lubricate any latch mechanisms, though I will do that next. I wanted to see how this worked out just lubricating the rubber surfaces only. It has worked out GREAT.

The right stuff is ACDelco Super Lube with PTFE, temperature rated to -40 and 400 degrees F. It's clear. Here's the link to the Amazon's distribution of the product:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-1237...words=gm+part+#+12371287,+synthetic+lubricant

Thanks for saving my sanity. I really appreciate the post and encouragement to try this solution. Indeed, it is a solution. This forum has been a great place for solutions to problems, and for picking up new ideas. I wish I tried this a year ago... but all's well that ends well, right? Thanks again!

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
925 Posts
Glad it worked for you. Why don't all the dealers know about this stuff and apply it or tell the owners to use it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you be very specific as to what you are applying the line to? The pins? The o rings? The plates? The entire length of the trim/molding? Thx.

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Can you be very specific as to what you are applying the line to? The pins? The o rings? The plates? The entire length of the trim/molding? Thx.
I apply it to 100% of the gaskets (only). But then again I have never had any noise from the transparent panel since day one.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I was starting to get some creaking. Yesterday I applied it to the rubber gaskets on the car and laid the roof back on. Went for a 30 mile drive and didn't hear any more creaks. Good stuff.

Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Registered
74 Posts
How many years has this problem been going on and and it still exists, why can't the engineers come up with a permanent solution?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I had the TSB done as mentioned above several weeks ago. So far no snap, crackle, or pop. Fingers crossed!

I should mention that the service tech said it took him a while to learn how to adjust the receivers that bolt to the windshield frame. I believe there is a vertical adjustment that tightens or loosens the pressure between the roof and the rubber. Also see the photos I posted above. If you show that wear in the hole you should replace both the receiver with the hole and the pins.

Just reporting what I was told!

·
Read Only
20 Posts
Glad I found this. I have a 2014 that I stopped giving rides in because the noise was so embarrassing and loud. O'rings took all of the noise out of the car. Going to look into the seals and other suggestions from this thread as well. Thank you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I hope GM realizes that quality of the up scale cars like Corvette is a factor in purchasing another. Like fuel tank, fuel door, roof noise, etc.. Power & handling are good but if other issues make it not fun will you buy another? This is what I'm thinking about with the ME. Might be a solid roof Porsche instead. I'll wait & see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The noise is terrible, first I had a feeling, that I did something wrong when putting the roof back on.... Checked once more, no it was fine:(

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
The noise is terrible, first I had a feeling, that I did something wrong when putting the roof back on.... Checked once more, no it was fine:(
Noise should not be "terrible." Ensure that the gaskets are properly seated and not caught at either rear side, and properly lubricated as discussed elsewhere.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This fixed it for me!!

As previous posters have identified! I ordered it, applied to all roof seals and contact points and the problem went way..and it was pretty annoying up to that point, especially as it warmed up!

Genuine GM Fluid 12371287 Synthetic Lubricant with Teflon - 3 oz. (got it from Amazon)

1.jpg

141 - 157 of 157 Posts