Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It took patience, guidance/help by "fastoys1," and lots of time, but managed to set up my Z06's tracking location process.

However, I have NOT enrolled in Family Link, not paying $3.99/monthly to track its location (as many previous posts said was required). Here are the steps I have done, and my tracking is super easy, available whenever I want it.

# 1) This first step is the most critical one, and that is having your dealership directly contact OnStar, filing whatever form they need to do. Note, filing this form triggers the "clock" on BOTH your six months free OnStar and your XMSR service. The dealership provides VIN # and lots more info to OnStar. I was comfortable with starting these two time periods now, even though I might not get the car for many weeks to a month from now.

The above step also triggers a clock inside OnStar, and will usually take them 24 hours to internally set up your car's account.

# 2) Meanwhile, while this will not speed up the above timetable, you need to contact OnStar yourself. Recommend you do this during their normal work hours so you can talk to a "customer service agent." During non-traditional work hours, you only get OnStar "add-services sales staff." The customer service staff are specifically trained on how to help you set up your new vehicle account system.

NOTE: Largely due to my ineptitude/impatience, and also because the first 24 hour time period was not up, had to make three different calls to OnStar. The need for three calls was on me, for first time, I called way after normal all business hours; second time, I tried to "cheat" on the 24 OnStar internal waiting period, etc. Every single time, each person I talked with was courteous, informed, and genuinely wanted to help me!!! However, each call took a fair amount of time, up to 20 minutes, and be prepared in advance, to be put on hold a few times by your customer service agent -- as she/he talks to different parts/people in the OnStar system. If you go into the process upfront, during normal work hours, with a large allocation of time and patience, your process will probably go smoothly and progressively as mine did, and should only take one call to set up/activate your account, and a second call, 24 hours later, to set up the tracking process (as per below).

Phone numbers: OnStar 1.888.466.7827; OnStar Family Link: 1.855.469.5465

Guess that many of you will want to do the above on-line instead of phone calls, and if so: www.onstar.com

Here are the things that you need to set up with OnStar prior to their 24 hour time expiring, to expedite the process.

A). You will need to establish an OnStar account, either a new one, or, if you previously had an account that is now inactive, to activate it.

B). Also mandatory, you have an account name, password, PIN number, and ideally, your account number, before the set up is completed. INSURE that OnStar has your current e mail address. AND, critical, they need a valid credit card number!!! Missing any of these things will result in your inability to track your car. I did most of this on the phone, then with assistance by the customer service agent, I typed the last few steps into my computer, watched my car's location appear, it's "dashboard", and other screens with technical info (PSI for each tire, mileage, gallons of gasoline left, MPG so far, and more).

C). Before your car's location "appears," you need to download an app onto your phone, your iPad, big box computer, etc., to track your car's location. It is a no cost app, called "OnStar remote link."

D). I was not required to enroll in the $3.99 FamilyLink plan, though doing so gives you alerts to your smartphone, big box computer, etc., allows to change the color of your car's icon to one of several colors (darn, for yellow is an optional color if you belong to the Family Link service), and probably get additional features. Note, there is no need, nor reason to get Family Link to track your car across country. It does not tell/alert you each time it is moving, nor can you set up their software to do so. At www.onstar.com you will be able to find the FamilyLink's additional features.

Note, there is an 24-48 ADDITIONAL hours to make the FamilyLink program operational.

As all I wanted was/is to track my Z's cross-country progress, the app and OnStar account was all I needed -- and am not paying anything to do so.

How many times per day can you look at your car's location per daily? Thousands if you wish, for all is free. And one can do this on your smart phone, iPad, tablet, big box computer...

Note/update, to amplify on its shutting down after your car has been sleeping" in one location for a while.... Why so?

You guessed it, i.e., it is to save your car's battery. It shuts down no more than four days after your car has been started last, sometimes quicker than that.

After it has temporarily gone to sleep, you will find, if you are trying to find it's location, you get an unable to locate code (either 216 or 217), and at that point you can do nothing more until the car has been re-started AND it has moved at least ten (10) feet. OnStar will automatically re-start, allow you to re-track your car's location, after it has has been started AND moved ten feet, i.e., train movement will not re-start OnStar.

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
Thank you, John! Like so many other posts that you have written, this will be extremely useful for so many people.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
Nice write-up John and very informative. Now to the much more important part, I am starting a pool to guess how many times you check the location on average per 24 hour period until your beauty arrives :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
John,

That's interesting because when I took delivery the OnStar app did not show the location of the car. I just launched the app again but since I let OnStar expire only the lock/unlock functions work.

I also recall the OnStar rep telling me I had to purchase Family Link to get tracking. Oh well...... Glad you were able to get it working and thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
And all of this WITHOUT the dealer reporting the car sold and delivered , and prior to invoicing?
I don't think the car has to be paid for to do this.

MacMulkin (my selling dealer) told me, repeatedly, that my 'clock' didn't start on the OnStar and XM until I 'hit my blue button' upon delivery. That was incorrect. My OnStar was activated on 10/31, which was BEFORE I paid for the car, and well before I took delivery on 11/21. OnStar has graciously extended my free time by a month to cover for this gap in time while my vehicle was in transit.

And I was looking for an OnStar thread to post something important I learned today.. so this is likely the most valuable one.

If you already have a GM vehicle functioning with OnStar / a car linked up to the OnStar Remote Link app, lord help you if you 'create a new account' with the activation person for your C7. They shouldn't even give you an option. They should FORCE you to add the new car to your already functioning account.

We mistakenly thought the free time on the C7 would be 'messed up' by having it added to our Cruze's account, so we had the C7 set up with its own account. Guess what? We couldn't see our C7 with our OnStar login or in the app, because they weren't in the SAME ACCOUNT NUMBER.

I had to go thru hours on hold and multiple setup processes and other frustrating stuff to get the two cars into the same account, functioning properly, with a login that works online and in the app. Two weeks later... I've finally got the app working so I can send directions to the C7. Yippee for that.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
So here's what happen with me. I had the dealer do their thing in getting onstar started and they sent me my account number.

I then went on line to onstar and created my account. After I called onstar and finish setting up the account which was easy and only took 10 minutes.

After I logged into the Remote Link app and I could see my car, how much gas, mileage, tire pressure etc.

Later that day I went into location to see if I can see the location of my car. It said it found it but found it in Huron Township, MI? I live in NH so how and why is my car in MI in the middle of no where? So I said ok let me wait 24 hours, check again, which I did and found it still sitting in MI. So I called onstar and asked them to send a signal to my car which they didn't have a clue what I meant? The person finally said we can try and talk to it, isn't that the same thing? Oh well they also said that I needed to push the OnStar blue button and told them that was impossible. Anyway their system also said my car was sitting in MI. Nothing more they could do except they said when it's gets to the dealer you can push the blue button, really? I think it's too late then.....

Ok so now I ping my dealer to see what his system says, according to them I'm still at the plant. So I give up car will get here when it gets here...

·
Registered
952 Posts
and now John is a happy camper! Great write-up that will help other folks as well...

·
Registered
341 Posts
I got my dealer to set me up yesterday and your instructions worked perfectly John! My ride is sitting on the 3rd track in a rail car in Toledo, OH. Now I just need it to get moving!
Thanks for your help!
Derik

·
Registered
115 Posts
Oh isn't it hard to see that it is still sitting in one place. Don't worry it will get moving soon.

I got my dealer to set me up yesterday and your instructions worked perfectly John! My ride is sitting on the 3rd track in a rail car in Toledo, OH. Now I just need it to get moving!
Thanks for your help!
Derik

·
Registered
341 Posts
I must have been banned from using the RemoteLink feature because now I just get an error and no connection to vehicle. I believe it has something to do with my dealer trying to use the feature on my account at the same time I was using it. Customer support says that it may take up to 4 days for the system to reset itself without being in the car to push the button. Anyways.....my dealer told me that the train is due into the yard in Phoenix on 12/17. I could see my car by 12/22 :) That would be one very merry Christmas!!

Derik

Reactions: C7 Zo6

·
Registered
841 Posts
It took patience, guidance/help by "fastoys1," and lots of time, but managed to set up my Z06's tracking location process.

However, I have NOT enrolled in Family Link, not paying $3.99/monthly to track its location (as many previous posts said was required). Here are the steps I have done, and my tracking is super easy, available whenever I want it.

# 1) This first step is the most critical one, and that is having your dealership directly contact OnStar, filing whatever form they need to do. Note, filing this form triggers the "clock" on BOTH your six months free OnStar and your XMSR service. The dealership provides VIN # and lots more info to OnStar. I was comfortable with starting these two time periods now, even though I might not get the car for many weeks to a month from now.

The above step also triggers a clock inside OnStar, and will usually take them 24 hours to internally set up your car's account.

# 2) Meanwhile, while this will not speed up the above timetable, you need to contact OnStar yourself. Recommend you do this during their normal work hours so you can talk to a "customer service agent." During non-traditional work hours, you only get OnStar "add-services sales staff." The customer service staff are specifically trained on how to help you set up your new vehicle account system.

NOTE: Largely due to my ineptitude/impatience, and also because the first 24 hour time period was not up, had to make three different calls to OnStar. The need for three calls was on me, for first time, I called way after normal all business hours; second time, I tried to "cheat" on the 24 OnStar internal waiting period, etc. Every single time, each person I talked with was courteous, informed, and genuinely wanted to help me!!!. However, each call took a fair amount of time, up to 20 minutes, and be prepared in advance, to be put on hold a few times by your customer service agent -- as she/he talks to different parts/people in the OnStar system. If you go into the process upfront, during normal work hours, with a large allocation of time and patience, your process will probably go smoothly and progressively as mine did, and should only take one call to set up/activate your account, and a second call, 24 hours later, to set up the tracking process (as per below).

Phone numbers: OnStar 1.888.466.7827; OnStar Family Link: 1.855.469.5465

Guess that many of you will want to do the above on-line instead of phone calls, and if so: www.onstar.com

Here are the things that you need to set up with OnStar prior to their 24 hour time expiring, to expedite the process.

A). You will need to establish an OnStar account, either a new one, or, if you previously had an account that is now inactive, to activate it.

B). Also mandatory, you have an account name, password, PIN number, and ideally, your account number, before the set up is completed. INSURE that OnStar has your current e mail address. AND, critical, they need a valid credit card number!!! Missing any of these things will result in your inability to track your car. I did most of this on the phone, then with assistance by the customer service agent, I typed the last few steps into my computer, watched my car's location appear, it's "dashboard", and other screens with technical info (PSI for each tire, mileage, gallons of gasoline left, MPG so far, and more).

C). Before your car's location "appears," you need to download an app onto your phone, your iPad, big box computer, etc., to track your car's location. It is a no cost app, called "OnStar remote link."

D). I was not required to enroll in the $3.99 FamilyLink plan, though doing so gives you alerts to your smartphone, big box computer, etc., allows to change the color of your car's icon to one of several colors (darn, for yellow is an optional color if you belong to the Family Link service), and probably get additional features -- such as an alert every time a "friend" (or other) moves your car, etc. At www.onstar.com you will be able to find the FamilyLink's additional features.

Note, there is an 24-48 ADDITIONAL hours to make the FamilyLink program operational.

As all I I wanted was/is to track my Z's cross-country progress, the app and OnStar account was all I needed -- and am not paying anything to do so.

How many times per day can you look at your car's location per daily? Thousands if you wish, for all is free. And one can do this on your smart phone, iPad, tablet, big box computer...
Family link just gives you bit more
detail.

Remember. OnStar remote link needs to update before checking in status or it will only give you last updated info. Just tap very top of screen that says last update and it will buffer and update.

Used this to track my Z from BG to NH , great feature!!

Activation can take 1-3 days

I would only do twice a day as I did not want to kill the battery. I had turned on OnStar week before it even left BG. Twice a day for 8 days battery was good.

Good luck Vett peeps

Fun to track!!

FYI great piece to pass on to folks John as I know this helped quell my anxiousness!!!!!

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Some positive news on OnStar re-activation after hibernation.

When my car went into a railcar, the following day it went to sleep. It stayed asleep for 20 days while the train was sleeping and remaining that way while my car was at the final rail yard but not yet unloaded.

However, just starting the vehicle and driving it off the rail car a couple of hundred yards to the "interim hollding place" where the local transporter truck will take it to my dealership, reawakened OnStar.

I just "clicked" on my OnStar RemoteLink ap that I'd earlier downloaded, and got updated/current location information. However, if you want to update your dashboard info, as per the following picture, to accomplish this (and thanks/credit to "Rick C C7 Z06" who taught me this), you do need to additonally click on the circular blue/silver arrow in the top left corner of the dashboard screen. One click there this morning, and the date changed from December 2nd (when it originally went to sleep) to today, the 22nd, and the info was updated.

image.jpg

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thats why I got family link... Reg onStar only updates when car is restarted! Thats what I found!!!
Family link leaves line open to car ALL THE TIME.. This was my results. Had no problems once family link was hooked up. Still have to refresh from the mylink remote.
Basically I needed both, to keep line open anytime I wanted to communicate with my car!
Good luck!
Happy holidays boys!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thats why I got family link... Reg onStar only updates when car is restarted! Thats what I found!!!
Family link leaves line open to car ALL THE TIME.. This was my results. Had no problems once family link was hooked up. Still have to refresh from the mylink remote.
Basically I needed both, to keep line open anytime I wanted to communicate with my car!
Good luck!
Happy holidays boys!
Good points about F-L
Thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just had my dealer get me signed up, called Onstar & got it all setup & operational within ~45 mins & I'm no techie lol

Onstar people were very helpful.

Looks like my car is still stuck in BG.

This should be fun (as long as it doesn't linger in BG!).

Thx, Elegant!

·
Banned
77 Posts
This was easy. Told dealer this morning to set it up. Never contacted OnStar. Just logged into the app and found the car. Looks to be in NC on 40, haven't moved for a few hours. Driver must be sleeping. image.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
My dealer set mine up for me before the carrier arrived and I was able to track it all the way from Colorado to Illinois, worked like a champ!

·
Registered
28 Posts
OnStar said they couldn't add new car or transfer to my existing OnStar Account without someone pushing the button inside the car even though they have the new VIN. Not much help for tracking car on train if that is really the situation.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts