Stingray Corvette Forum banner

How to open the C7 glove box if it will not open

17K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Administrator jsvette 
#1 ·
Just found this tip on Facebook, will verify this afternoon.

If the glove box will not open. Open the passenger side door. Look on the right side of the glove box area, now exposed by opening the passenger side door, for a small (about 1 inch square) access panel. Pry open the access panel. Push a long rod (an 1/4 inch socket tool extension works well) into the access hole and push against the locking mechanism. The glove box door should pop open.

Credit: James Kistner

I will check this out this afternoon and find out if it circumvents valet mode.

#3 · (Edited)
Huge coincidence that Texhawk posted this on another thread:

Just for future reference, if the battery is dead the electric release will not work on the glove box even if the car is unlocked.
However, there is a MANUAL release but if I tell you where it is, I have to kill you. :tennis:

(TOP SECRET: there is an access panel on the right end of the dash which allows you to manually release the lock lever)

Text Auto part Line Font Diagram
Link to original post: http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...er-turn-off-car-unless-s-park.html#post697026

#4 ·
Thanks so much for reposting Texhawk's crucial information (that two dealers and Customer Service Dept. did not know). What if the battery's dead and your flashlight or phone is in there?
OnStar, after some time, finally found someone who knew-- just as I re-located this thread.

Car had been in 3 ft. of Irma's water. I needed access and couldn't bring myself to break it open (ins. adjuster "totaled" it).

#6 ·
That is kind of good news, bad news I guess. Totaled is certainly better than trying to sort out all of the real and potential water flood issues. Hope you get into another C7 soon Alan!

Reactions: KEYSMAN
#5 ·
Alan, so sorry about your C7.

#7 ·
Alan, we are all so sorry about your C7 being totaled. IMO so glad it was totalled as opposed to your having to chase endless mold, mildew, and electrical issues for the rest of your car's ownership. And additionally consequent smell issues.

I remember when jagamajajaran's Dual Velocity was flooded and he too considered re-building it. But when, on day three, the glove box was swollen shut (not due to electrical problems), due to the swelling of the material itself, and the smell he encountered whenever he stuck his head inside the cabin, he decided that it was best to move on, accept its being totalled.

Hope your future plans bring you vehicle great happiness!

#8 ·
Alan, sorry to read about the loss of your C7 Masterpiece, hopefully you get back into another ASAP!

SF
Rick

#9 ·
Alan, as long as your safe, the C7 is replaceable.

I'm year round Condo resident – no garage. Besides my C7 and wife's ATS, I was babysitting three cars belonging to my snow bird siblings. After riding out Wilma, I was determined to get out, which I did, leaving the Vette at the airport and the other cars scattered in various locations. Believe me, cars were the least of my concerns when I returned yesterday. We were lucky, all was good with neighbors and friends. Hope it is another 12 years (preferably never) before seeing another storm like Irma.

#11 ·
Alan's, I too hate to hear of the loss but GS probably better gone ad you get a nice check fro another one! Lots of great deals on forum vendors like Mcmalkin and Mike Furman at Criswell.

Question, what happens to the car now? I'm thinking of looking into competition seats and wonder how the seats are affected if totaled due to flooding.

#15 ·
Please provide more details- you are talking about the glovebox on the passenger side, not the cubby behind the NAV screen? Is everything else unlocked in your C7 and battery with reasonable charge? Did you happen to put the Valet mode on?