Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This past weekend I teamed up with another C7 owner to install the Exotic Vette extreme insulation kit. This kit come with pre-cut(ish) insulation pieces for the rear compartment and seat areas. It is claimed this is the same insulation that Dodge uses on the Viper. In addition, 4 or 5 sheets of Memphis Audio MOJO mat are also included. The MOJO mat is similar to the popular FatMat on here with the exception that is butyl rubber based instead of asphalt based.

TL;DR: I started with my iPhone app reading about 85-90db at highway speeds on my stock run-flats. Post-install, app read about 76-80. The difference to your ear is significant. Only downside is the additional 0.5" of mat+insulation does make the carpet fit slightly less better. You have to look closely to tell.

Started off with removing nearly all trim in the rear and seat area of the car.

Make sure you protect your fenders and your top:
IMG_0995.jpg
IMG_0996.jpg

Remove the weatherstripping. Place a piece of tape where the seam is located so you can put it back the way it was originally:
IMG_0997.jpg

The targa top storage hooks had clips that were slightly angled. This is how I removed them:
IMG_0992.jpg IMG_0993.jpg

The storage cubby has three clips on it. The seam is between the two pieces of plastic rimming the hole. You can see how I pried it out:
IMG_0999.jpg

The battery plug is a normal clip but you need to rotate the carpet trim piece to see it:
IMG_1004.jpg

There are several clips on the very bottom of the rear-most trim piece (the one over the subwoofer). Be careful as the piece is unstable after the top is popped off and you could break the plastic. We removed the cover for the rear electronics and carefully pulled towards the front of the car to release the clips:
IMG_1005.jpg

On to the front of the car.

Four bolts hold the seats in. The power functions on the seats do not work if they are tilted forward (via the lever on the side).
IMG_1007.jpg

Remove the two covers on the front of the seat rails. The clip is angled at about 45 degrees so I found it easier to pull up and away from the seat in a bit of an arc:
IMG_1008.jpg

Remove the seat belt connection. Put the screw back into the threaded receiver so you don't lose it:
IMG_1011.jpg

Remove the trim in the center of the roof. This puppy was difficult. We found the best way to get at it was to put a trim removal tool between that piece and the side trim pieces. Brace the side piece with your hand and give it some leverage. The clips should pop right out.
IMG_1016.jpg

You can see how the side trim attaches to the center:
IMG_1019.jpg

Remove the remaining trim along the door. Most clips pull directly away from the body of the car. Be careful, as sometimes the clips wanted to stay with the car:
IMG_1012.jpg

Remove the carpet on the seat area. Check out the channel in the foam for the wire runs:
IMG_1023.jpg

C7 stripped down:
IMG_1024.jpg IMG_1025.jpg IMG_1027.jpg IMG_1029.jpg IMG_1030.jpg

Beginning to place the MOJO mat in the front areas. Used half a sheet under each seat, half a sheet on the waterfall, and a quarter sheet in the footwell areas. You can also see us dry-fitting some of the insulation.
IMG_1031.jpg IMG_1032.jpg IMG_1033.jpg

View of passenger side insulated and beginning of the back. Don't have as many pictures of the back unfortunately.
IMG_1034.jpg

Putting the carpet back in. The extra material made this a pretty tight fit. I'm hoping the carpet will settle itself back out a bit as the car moves around in the next few weeks. On the other C7, we only put the insulation on the floor area and not on the sides of the car. That made putting the carpet back in much easier.
IMG_1036.jpg

One other area (no pic) to watch out for is the rear wheel wells. The trim can be a little problematic to get back into place with extra material there. In addition, the rear carpet doesn't like the reduced width and it is difficult to get it to lay flat. Adding my Stingray mat on top of it plus a bit of luggage has helped a lot.

Overall it was a great install. It took us probably 6.5 hours on my car (as we were being careful and figuring everything out first). The second C7 got done in 2.5 hours.

The results were overall totally worth it. We didn't break anything through the whole install (on two cars).

·
Registered
468 Posts
Nope...not brave enough

I've stripped down my '67 but that was all screwed together. Not snap in plastic.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clips sound like they have broken about 8 different ways when they finally pop out, but they are surprisingly durable.

The back is really easy to do. I'd really recommend it if the noise in your car bugs you.

·
Administrator
16,441 Posts
Wow wingrunr21! That is very ambitious- glad you are satisfied with the outcome. Thank you for posting the details and pics :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Removing clips is the most fun (not) but after a while it gets easier. After the fear factor subsides. Easy pressure until they pop!!

·
18,670 Posts
Excellent work, and your results say "well worth it!" A really, really good tutorial DIY on sound deadening prep and process. Will be helpful to many! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
One thing to add, since there are air bags in the seats its highly recommended to remove the fuse for the air bags (help me here with which number it is!) or disconnect the battery and let the car sit for 15 minutes or so prior to disconnecting the seat harnesses. While rare, stray electrical charge has been known to set bags off. I do this every time I pull air bag equipped seats.

·
Registered
827 Posts
One thing to add, since there are air bags in the seats its highly recommended to remove the fuse for the air bags (help me here with which number it is!) or disconnect the battery and let the car sit for 15 minutes or so prior to disconnecting the seat harnesses. While rare, stray electrical charge has been known to set bags off. I do this every time I pull air bag equipped seats.
Excellent point. Serious injury can be avoided.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If the ignition is turned on with the seats out it will throw an air bag warning light which can only be reset by the dealer.
Alan

Reactions: Z06 Owned

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Impressed!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great job on the install and documenting it. I have a convertible and would like it to be a little quieter with the top up. The convertible top could add a lot of complication to the project but I might think about it after seeing your success.

Al

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depends how your lower door trim is attached. Might be easier as you won't have to deal with the roof trim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, wingrunr21 for taking the time to make this post. I already have the material you used. Your post removed all my fear of doing this job on my C7 2016 3LT Z51 during the winter here in Massachusetts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts