Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, new here, live in Milpitas. I want to take delivery of a new groovy 2015 Coupe at the Corvette Museum.

I intend to drive it back---but as we know, California does not issue temporary plates. So, I would be driving cross country without any plates of any sort on the car.

Have any members here faced this issue?

radioman

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
With all your paperwork you are given at the Museum, you will be given temporary plates. You will not be driving home illegally.
Are you saying the museum can issue a temp tag? As I understand it your selling dealer is the only one that can issue a temp tag. The OP didn't state which dealer he's using.

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you purchased your C7 in California the dealer should take care of all the paper work for DMV and give you the temporary registration , just like you would have for any new car to be placed in the lower right corner of the windshield.
Bottom line is the dealer takes care of all paperwork.
If you are purchasing out of California we can discuss that, as well.

Michael

·
18,670 Posts
Are you saying the museum can issue a temp tag? As I understand it your selling dealer is the only one that can issue a temp tag. The OP didn't state which dealer he's using.
As MYKZDRM clarified, the actual paperwork and the temporary tags comes from your dealer. Specifically, my dealer sent their paperwork, containing my temporary tags, to the Museum. When I picked up my car at the Museum, every document I needed was handed to me by Museum Delivery staff, and I thus had my temporarily tags.

Triodes, encourage you to talk with your dealership and remind them of this responsibility to get your temp tags to the Museum.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I agree with elegant. 1) Keep prodding your dealer until you either have the docs in hand. Or 2) If delivered to the museum, make sure the museum has them long before you arrive.
The experience can be stressful if the paperwork is not in order. That should be a wonderful lifetime event if you simply keep on the dealer to ensure they take care of their end.
I preferred having the docs in hand so I knew exactly where everything was.

Michael

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
As MYKZDRM clarified, the actual paperwork and the temporary tags comes from your dealer. Specifically, my dealer sent their paperwork, containing my temporary tags, to the Museum. When I picked up my car at the Museum, every document I needed was handed to me by Museum Delivery staff, and I thus had my temporarily tags.

Triodes, encourage you to talk with your dealership and remind them of this responsibility to get your temp tags to the Museum.
I imagine it's different based on the dealer but I believe the standard practice is YOU are responsible to bring all the required paperwork to the museum, that's how it worked for me. My dealer did offer to overnight the documentation to the museum but since I was handling Florida registration myself I asked for the bill of sale be send to me so I could get the permanent tag before I left to pick it up.

According to the Museum website here is what you need to show up with

The Paperwork: Customers must arrive at the NCM with the following items before a delivery can take place:

A License Plate or Temporary Tag
Proof of Ownership (Bill of sale, etc.)
Proof of Insurance
Valid Operator's License
Dealer Acknowledgement form

Of course your dealer can send it directly to the museum but many, like me, prefer to have it in hand before I get on the plane.

Reactions: elegant and MYKZDRM

·
Registered
873 Posts
I realize it sounds a little self-serving, but Fedex or another overnight service is your friend, especially with an out of town dealer. When my dealer sent me my first batch of paperwork, it came USPS. Even though it was Express Mail, it took several days. I returned the completed package via FedEx Express, along with a return Fedex shipping label. 3 days later, I had all my paperwork back, including the purchase contract, MSO ( Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, IIRC) which is like the factory title, and temp tag for the journey home. We took this paperwork with us to the Museum, because as mentioned above, it's nice to have it all in your hands ahead of time.

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I realize it sounds a little self-serving, but Fedex or another overnight service is your friend, especially with an out of town dealer. When my dealer sent me my first batch of paperwork, it came USPS. Even though it was Express Mail, it took several days. I returned the completed package via FedEx Express, along with a return Fedex shipping label. 3 days later, I had all my paperwork back, including the purchase contract, MSO ( Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, IIRC) which is like the factory title, and temp tag for the journey home. We took this paperwork with us to the Museum, because as mentioned above, it's nice to have it all in your hands ahead of time.
I agree 100%, FedEx Express is the way to go. My process was as follows

Day 1: Dealer FedEx'd sales contract and other paperwork for my signature.
Day 2: I signed the paperwork, included the 2 checks (loan check and bank check) and FedEx'd it back that same day.
Day 3: Dealer confirmed receipt of paperwork and checks but waited 1 day because they hadn't received the MSO from GM
Day 4: Dealer FedEx'd sales package with MSO, Sales Order and Temp Tag (just in case I had an issue at the DMV)
Day 5: I received the paperwork, went to my local DMV and returned home with the permanent tag and registration

The fallback if they didn't receive the MSO in time for me to get the permanent registration was to overnight the sales documents and temp tag to the Museum. Luckily that wasn't needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I transferred my personal plates from my last car, the dealer registered the car and I took my old plates and new registration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts