Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the back window tinted and at night time with the rearview mirror auto-dimming it is way too dim to use. Does anyone know how to shut this off? Please let us all know. thx

·
Registered
579 Posts
You may have to cover the sensor with something. Should be a little photocell on the mirror. :cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may have to cover the sensor with something. Should be a little photocell on the mirror. :cool:
I believe it dims based on low light,doesn't it? If it worked off lights behind me, then it wouldn't even trigger bc of my tint. So covering the photocell would just keep it dim....all the time..

Has to be a way to shut it off

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I believe it dims based on low light,doesn't it? If it worked off lights behind me, then it wouldn't even trigger bc of my tint. So covering the photocell would just keep it dim....all the time..

I'm planning on tinting as well, so I did some experimenting with my mirror, using a flashlight.

There are two light sensors on the interior rearview mirror. These two sensors control the auto-dim feature, for both the interior and the driver's side mirrors simultaneously.

The first sensor is on the front side (side facing hood) of the mirror, on the "driver's side" front more specifically. You can feel a small rectangular opening in the mirror housing for the sensor. This light sensor measures outside ambient light. Shining the flashlight into this opening removes all dimming of both mirrors (car must be running).

The second sensor, which measures headlight intensity from vehicles behind you, is actually behind the glass of the interior rear-view mirror. With a relatively strong flashlight (and a dark garage may help), sweep the flashlight beam across the mirror, changing the angle of the flashlight until you can see a small recess behind the glass. You should be able to see the sensor as well. The following image shows the general location of the sensor (red dot).

2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-c7-15.jpg

Shining the flashlight on this sensor causes immediate auto-dimming to occur (on both mirrors). Placing your thumb (or a piece of tape) over the sensor prevents auto-dimming.

Obviously, a dot of black electrical tape on the mirror is a poor solution - we'll need to find a more satisfying fix!

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm planning on tinting as well, so I did some experimenting with my mirror, using a flashlight.

There are two light sensors on the interior rearview mirror. These two sensors control the auto-dim feature, for both the interior and the driver's side mirrors simultaneously.

The first sensor is on the front side (side facing hood) of the mirror, on the "driver's side" front more specifically. You can feel a small rectangular opening in the mirror housing for the sensor. This light sensor measures outside ambient light. Shining the flashlight into this opening removes all dimming of both mirrors (car must be running).

The second sensor, which measures headlight intensity from vehicles behind you, is actually behind the glass of the interior rear-view mirror. With a relatively strong flashlight (and a dark garage may help), sweep the flashlight beam across the mirror, changing the angle of the flashlight until you can see a small recess behind the glass. You should be able to see the sensor as well. The following image shows the general location of the sensor (red dot).

View attachment 9171

Shining the flashlight on this sensor causes immediate auto-dimming to occur (on both mirrors). Placing your thumb (or a piece of tape) over the sensor prevents auto-dimming.

Obviously, a dot of black electrical tape on the mirror is a poor solution - we'll need to find a more satisfying fix!
Good research! To your end point, there has to be a way that was built into the car to disable just the rear view or both the rear view and side mirrors.

Does GM have a support tel # that we can call and ask questions that aren't in the owners manual? That should be part of our purchase!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do u want to disable it?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
Read beginning of thread where I describe my dilemma. And to add to that reason, bc like anything, just bc it has it and it is useful at times, I don't need car deciding for me when it is on or off. We have control over traction control being on or off, and a bunch of other things in the car, and actually the last model vette has an off button on auto dim mirror, why not the c7. There has to be a way to do it. It creates an issue like I have now where I tinted the rear window. So when mirror dims I can't see through back window much at all.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Incorrect Dims based on bright light. As I said you will need to block the sensor.... :cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Incorrect Dims based on bright light. As I said you will need to block the sensor.... :cool:
Actually just put this to the test. Blocked sensor and didn't do anything at night time to turn off auto dim on it was actually night time. Even in pitch black with no light behind me those mirrors are still dim as well as side mirrors. I do admit that while in my garage my rearview was dim and when I blocked sensor, it did undim. But that was in my garage during daytime with garage door open. Car facing towards in side of Garage.

Now before anyone asks "did you correctly block the sensor or appropriate area?" Yes. I did. I even blocked off entire left side of mirror front and back. Didn't make a difference. Would not change from being dimmed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I will experiment with this as well. I too would like to bypass this feature. Too dark with my tint.

CPL Mo USMC Vet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts