Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've been a bit out of touch so I don't know if others have the same issue. I found several drops of the black hydraulic fluid on the garage floor. Brought her in for first oil and check up. Fluid is coming from under the belts. Part is on order. Service rep said nothing urgent and ok to drive. FYI.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Sometimes I have a hard time believing service reps. Do they really know? Do they really care?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Actually, the service department George uses is pretty good and very familiar with corvettes. It sounds like the belt tensioner.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
George; Good luck and thanks! There seems to be an increasing number of belt tensioner failures being reported, and in one case an owner had a second failure. This part may need a redesign?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm taking in my C7 (vin 11,8XX) this week for a possible belt tensioner issue that I started hearing this weekend. (I have about 4,800 miles.) Chevrolet Customer Service has opened a GM case for me and sent an initial contact to my dealer. I will let you all know what the diagnosis and repair is. Thanks to the Corvette Forum(s) for the information that is posted here so us owners can get more educated on our new cars!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chip-you betcha. I have an appointment Wednesday at dealer. When I talked to them they said they don't have a TSB on the belt tensioner but they have replaced one for another customer so they are familiar with the issue. I mentioned PIP 5185 and they said the number was too short - would have 10 digits, I think. Right now this issue is "self-diagnosed" based on my limited mechanical knowledge (and forum info) so I will update with proper dealer diagnosis once it's completed. The sound I'm hearing is loud "clicking" when I accelerate ONLY in V4 mode. This noise was not present before this weekend. I have automatic, non-Z51.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dealer diagnosis today - Belt Tensioner Leaking. They will order the part and replace when it comes in. It's okay to drive - but I'm driving in "M" and using paddle shifters so I won't go into V4 mode and hear the noise. :)
The parts person talked with GM and there is a bulletin about the Belt Tensioner issue. After the faulty Belt Tensioner is replaced, I will post the info from my repair ticket.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Thanks Sally! Would it be possible for you to contact your dealer and get the part no. for the replacement tensioner? Thank kind of info. might prove to be useful if we can tell if the part no. is changed in the future to reflect a redesign / "new part".

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks Sally! Would it be possible for you to contact your dealer and get the part no. for the replacement tensioner? Thank kind of info. might prove to be useful if we can tell if the part no. is changed in the future to reflect a redesign / "new part".
My part finally came in and the replacement tensioner was installed within 45 mins. According to the service advisor, there is no 'program' associated with a leaking tensioner. The part number listed within the paperwork is 12658273. Mileage was 6488, VIN 04054.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I believe my car is experiencing this issue at 2400 miles. I have been hearing a fluttering noise when in V4 mode and accelerating. RPMs low and speed in low 30 mph. More noticeable with driver window open. Have service appointment in morning and will update.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

1 - 20 of 61 Posts