Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Attended a Cars & Coffee event today and got to see 8 C7's in white, torch red, red tintcoat, black and laguna blue. All had substantial (near total) but evenly distributed orange peel. When they sat next to C6's the difference in the paint was remarkable. I pass this on only as an observation. I have reset my expectations for the car I ordered and no longer have a problem with the look. However, IMHO, if you had a C5-C6 or other luxury car, you are going to see a very different approach to paint in the C7. Based on what I have read on the various C7 forums, I was under the impression that the orange peel was a QA problem seen on only a few cars. I have now come to believe that it is the new normal for C7 paint. I'm okay with it, but some of you might not be. There is nothing so informative as seeing a number of C7's together outside in the sunlight.

Reactions: Mgorski

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I am in hopes that BG will be able to improve their process so that this paint issue is at the least a step up from the C-6 benchmark. IMO we should not lower our collective expectations of the new C-7 in any regard. GM needs to step up their game if they expect this car's sales to surpass their own expectations, and new customers should not have to lower theirs.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I am in hopes that BG will be able to improve their process so that this paint issue is at the least a step up from the C-6 benchmark. IMO we should not lower our collective expectations of the new C-7 in any regard. GM needs to step up their game if they expect this car's sales to surpass their own expectations, and new customers should not have to lower theirs.
x100....its a GM halo car

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
From what I read the issue with many owners is not the orange peel so much as just other paint issues like drips, etc that is inexcusable.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Attended a Cars & Coffee event today and got to see 8 C7's in white, torch red, red tintcoat, black and laguna blue. All had substantial (near total) but evenly distributed orange peel. When they sat next to C6's the difference in the paint was remarkable. I pass this on only as an observation. I have reset my expectations for the car I ordered and no longer have a problem with the look. However, IMHO, if you had a C5-C6 or other luxury car, you are going to see a very different approach to paint in the C7. Based on what I have read on the various C7 forums, I was under the impression that the orange peel was a QA problem seen on only a few cars. I have now come to believe that it is the new normal for C7 paint. I'm okay with it, but some of you might not be. There is nothing so informative as seeing a number of C7's together outside in the sunlight.
While waiting for mine, I've been stopping at my dealer and others and have seen many C7s in the process. Yes, I agree, they all have it...at least, all that I've seen. Fenders, doors, and quarters, in spades. All the hoods that I've seen, look great. As another poster mentioned many weeks ago, it must regard the material being painted. It's very noticable and sure I hope I can evolve to your state-of-mind when I get mine.

Agree with other recent posts...there's got to be a way to make this right, at the factory. The car is getting so much hype (I should say great reviews) that I wonder how many folks would not buy because of the paint. If GM doesn't think it will be a major impact, they may not do anything. A real shame. Adding additional cost to the mix is not what Wall St. wants to hear....though it is a small piece of the GM pie. As far as I recall, there haven't been many, if any, negative comments in the media re: paint. Further, as open as we are in our comments, we are still a small, very private community.

·
Registered
89 Posts
x100....its a GM halo car
Then both of you don't understand what contributes to orange peel, what is involved in reducing it and most importantly what the cost penalty would be to do so. It isn't a matter of "stepping up their game" as if someone fell asleep at the switch. These are composite panels painted by robots in an assembly plant using mandated environmentally friendly paints. The surface of the panels is essentially mold finish. The primer has an additive to allow for electrostatic painting and the only way to smooth it is with significant hand work prior to applying the clear. Every current production car has orange peel, every. The paints the manufacturers have to work with are just too high in solids and too low in solvents to allow for a first pass lay down that doesn't have some compromise.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It's true one factor is these paints dry faster than the old solvents paints did, if it was given a longer time to dry you would have less orange peel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
IMHO I think it is a bunch of crap that we should have to live with this. For GM or anyone say because they are all like that makes it OK? Really.

Stop by a Hyundai dealership and look at the paint on a $20,000 car.

There is definately a QC problem because the paint is not applied evenly, The robotic process at BG needs a tune up as there are dry and wet spots, heavy and light spots.

Every day I look at my car I find more paint runs! Don't let the fact you are so exited about getting your new car cloud you expectations. Hey GM! get your act together!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Would be absolutely not acceptable if the car cost $150000 or more...
I feel fortunate to be able to afford a car like this.
That's right...Affordable! That's where GM has gone with the C7.
More pluses with this car than negatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Then both of you don't understand what contributes to orange peel, what is involved in reducing it and most importantly what the cost penalty would be to do so. It isn't a matter of "stepping up their game" as if someone fell asleep at the switch. These are composite panels painted by robots in an assembly plant using mandated environmentally friendly paints. The surface of the panels is essentially mold finish. The primer has an additive to allow for electrostatic painting and the only way to smooth it is with significant hand work prior to applying the clear. Every current production car has orange peel, every. The paints the manufacturers have to work with are just too high in solids and too low in solvents to allow for a first pass lay down that doesn't have some compromise.
Paul; While it is very true you have a better understanding of the painting process than I, there is one thing I do understand. What I do understand is that GM spent a fair amount of money to improve & upgrade the quality of the paint work on the C-7 over previous generations of Corvettes with the plant upgrade completed before the C-7 went into production. If you or anyone else believes that the benchmark so far achieved in paint quality on the C-7 is up to the standards of the rest of the auto industry then something is very wrong here! I have very strong expectations that those @ Bowling Green that have been tasked to design this optimized paint system will take 2nd or 3rd looks at their handiwork and make the needed changes. If what we see on the exterior of some of these cars is status quo, it will be another lost opportunity for GM to prove they are serious about building a quality product.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I visited a Ferrari and Maserati showroom this week in Mill Valley, CA.. Guess what. The new F's and M's had orange peel also. We like to call it "texture" was the comment the salesman made. The older Ferrari's on the show room floor, 5 to 6 years old, had significantly less "texture" approaching what I would call "show car flat" and looked like they had been color sanded after painting prior to compound buffing. I have personally painted Corvettes in the past using Urethanes and Lacquers with excellent "as painted" surface without significant color sanding or power buffing. I don't have experience with the new water based paints but had my street rod recently painted by a local shop with water base and it came out beautiful with virtually no orange peel. I would hope that Chevrolet can get this under control and provide a better finish.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Also to note some of the parts are painted outside the corvette GM plant and has caused some of the paint issues we are seeing which are being address.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My C7 in Cyber Gray has no orange peel or any other paint issues. It's 100% perfect...(at this point anyway).

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
My C7 in Cyber Gray has no orange peel or any other paint issues. It's 100% perfect...(at this point anyway).

Glad you like the finish but it's highly unlikely you don't have orange peel, it's just that CG is about the best at hiding it. Orange peel will be most obvious on colors without any metallic in them. The metallic colors reflect the light in random patterns making it more difficult to see the surface but under artificial light at an angle you will see the orange peel.

I'm not commenting specifically on the C7, orange peel is a fact of life with factory paint on anything less than a supercar where the paint is applied by hand using a dry process (paint, wet sand, clear, wet sand.......). Virtually all production cars use a wet clear process where the clear is applied to a wet base coat of color. There is not opportunity for the base color to get wet sanded smooth before the clear coat is applied.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe. But if I can't see it, then it's not there....;0). I don't think I would care anyway... I mean really what difference would it make? Possibly for resale... But I'm not concerned much about that. Perhaps I'm just a guy who understands it's not a perfect world...and perfect is a relative term anyway (for me). The car is probably never going to look better than it looks at his very moment with 326 miles on it and I take very good care of all my things, cars included. It's all good for me... ?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Maybe. But if I can't see it, then it's not there....;0). I don't think I would care anyway... I mean really what difference would it make? Possibly for resale... But I'm not concerned much about that. Perhaps I'm just a guy who understands it's not a perfect world...and perfect is a relative term anyway (for me). The car is probably never going to look better than it looks at his very moment with 326 miles on it and I take very good care of all my things, cars included. It's all good for me... ��

That's a great attitude and one I have too, I was commenting in general, not trying to take anything away from your car. I've seen 3 CG cars and they both looked fantastic. It's the color I will get when I finally decide to order.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
All my cyber grey horizontal surfaces are perfect...great depth and gloss, I will wetsand and polish all the vertical surfaces in the next 6 months. They need it.

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Maybe. But if I can't see it, then it's not there....;0). I don't think I would care anyway... I mean really what difference would it make? Possibly for resale... But I'm not concerned much about that. Perhaps I'm just a guy who understands it's not a perfect world...and perfect is a relative term anyway (for me). The car is probably never going to look better than it looks at his very moment with 326 miles on it and I take very good care of all my things, cars included. It's all good for me... ?

Excellent attitude (and one that will keep one's blood pressure normal :) ). RedHot doesn't have any paint issues that I can see either other than some super fine scratches on very close observation in full sunlight. My guess is they can easily come out. The finish is really very good IMHO. :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Eh? At my tender age of 50... I've learned to not sweat the small stuff and as I mature more almost everything seems to be small stuff...?. The car is quite a machine... I've only driven it a couple hundred miles.. But it seems to me the value of this car is greater than the sum of its parts. GM did a great job with it. It's a home run... My 2001 C5 was too in its time. That car has 50k miles and it still worth like $20. What other cars that are 13 years old hold their value like that? Hardly any. I wouldn't have been loyal and bought yet another one. At this point I have the privilege of being the holder of 4 now! I guess that means I'm a collector! 1970 LT1 Marlboro Maroon.. 1982 Coupe Red/Red.. The 2001 and now the 14. (Wish I wouldn't have sold my 96 collector edition back in 2000 when I got the 2001). Oh well... Thanks for reading. I've rambled on.. ? Sal

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.