Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Could this be because of the Automatic features being added to the M7, such as rev match and hill assist, for those who can't fully operate a manual?

JLG
Good question, and I suspect that both features were a consideration for certain percentage of M7 buyers.

I know that I was looking forward to Rev Match, and I do very much enjoy it (regardless of the occasional 1-2 shift "RPM glitch").

·
Registered
471 Posts
Good question, and I suspect that both features were a consideration for certain percentage of M7 buyers.

I know that I was looking forward to Rev Match, and I do very much enjoy it (regardless of the occasional 1-2 shift "RPM glitch").
You posted a good chart with valuable information. From 85 to 05, the manuals were constantly dropping on sales, but suddenly, in 2015 sales of manuals almost double, and the only difference between the 2015 manuals and the older ones, is the automatic features (hill assist and rev match).

17% in 05 vs 32% in 2015 in manual sales. Does this suggest that almost half of M7 drivers out there may not know how, or don't want, to operate a full manual??

JLG

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
You posted a good chart with valuable information. From 85 to 05, the manuals were constantly dropping on sales...
I think you'll need to look at more than 10 year intervals to say that with confidence - the web sites I've referenced have production data for other years, so we await your summary. :)

17% in 05 vs 32% in 2015 in manual sales. Does this suggest that almost half of M7 drivers out there may not know how, or don't want, to operate a full manual?
According to Edmunds (from 2012 - the most recent data I could find), only about 7% of Americans can drive stick, which certainly illustrates the disproportionate popularity of the manual transmission for our favorite sports car.

Oh, and the 7% number underscores why a manual transmission is a theft deterrent!

·
Registered
10,219 Posts
I think the numbers quoted by Mobius are somewhat skewed for 2015 because many Z06 were forced to be manual during the first of the production run (the A8 was not available until later). I think the 2014 and 2016 percentages will be more representative of what customers are naturally choosing when both transmission options are available for the entire model year.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If I had a M7, I would hope there would be a way to turn the hill assist off. Being able to easily start up a steep hill is one of the things I take great joy in. I learned to drive a manual the first time when my brother parked his car pointing up an Appalachian hill in eastern Kentucky and said, "Do it."
Actually... it is activated by a firm press of the brake pedal, deliberately... not automatic.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I think the numbers quoted by Mobius are somewhat skewed for 2015 because many Z06 were forced to be manual during the first of the production run (the A8 was not available until later). I think the 2014 and 2016 percentages will be more representative of what customers are naturally choosing when both transmission options are available for the entire model year.
Skewed!?! ;)

Well, let's look at 2014 then. As reported by CorvetteBlogger.com, 35% of 2014 Corvette production had the M7. OFFICIAL: 2014 Corvette Stingray Production Totals 37,288 - Corvette: Sales, News & Lifestyle

·
Registered
10,219 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Funny! So, based upon your comment, my question to you is, did Rev Match and Hill Assist cause you to go with the A8?

You can turn Rev Match off, but I use it all the time. Those two items with the M7 are indeed a win - win! Yes, it did play a factor in my decision. Glad they were part of the new technology of the C7. If I wanted old school I'd have gotten a double clutch truck.

Gus
Nope, I wanted the super fast shifts of the A8. If I want to row the gears, I break out my OLD SCHOOL '69 Z28 and go putting around...

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think you'll need to look at more than 10 year intervals to say that with confidence - the web sites I've referenced have production data for other years, so we await your summary. :)

Wow!!! In 2014, 35% of Stingray buyers picked the manual. In 2015 only 25.6% of Stingray buyers picked the manual. A big percentage drop on manuals in one year. That 2015 percentage is about the same as the 80s and 90s.

Z06 can not be compared due to not a full year production of automatics.

Final 2015 Corvette Production Statistics - Corvette: Sales, News & Lifestyle

JLG

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I love my M7. Absolutely can't imagine a sports car with a manual for me. But, its also our fun weekend car and not a daily driver, so I can see the other side. Traffic here in the SF Bay Area is nasty!

TOTALLY do the clutch foot thing in my auto DDs sometimes. Think I always will. :) We previously had two manuals and an auto, so I drove a manual MOST of the time and for sure did that when I stepped into our one auto. Now we've sold the ancient manual for a spiffy new Mercedes with an auto, so the C7 is the only manual on hand. MAYBE I'll twitch less. Not counting on it though!

And I think the comments on the rev match and the hill assist 'helping' drivers drive an M7 makes me scratch my head. :topsy_turvy: To me they are just extra convenience / fun features that make the C7 a bit cooler. They don't really have anything to do with whether a person can drive a manual transmission or not. That's a skillset onto its own.

I do always drive with the RevMatch on, cause its fun and it makes noise.

And I love the hill assist when pulling very slowly into my very tight garage uphill, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to park my darn car without it. ;) I parked the manual I just got rid of into that same garage on the other side for 18 years!

Cheers,

·
Registered
297 Posts
The first Corvette I saw when I was a kid had a automatic transmission ,1963 coupe .
Every time I'm on the Corvette lot .looking at Z06s and I look inside and see an automatic, I stop looking and move on to the next Corvette. I'm sure the automatic is a fine car but I just can't imagine owning a Vette with an auto trans.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok, legitimate reasons, but walk through a large vette dealer and 75% of the cars are auto.. And more like 90% of the z06's. I mean, really, Wtf! :sulkiness:

There is a disturbing trend here.

Actually, there are many reasons to go with the auto.
1) Drive n the city much of the time - is their daily driver.
2) Health issues - arthritis, diabetic neuropathy, knee or hip replacement (to name a few)
3) Believe it or not, Some people just flat out prefer an Automatic!

If you think about it for a moment I'm sure you could find many more reasons. An A8 in not a wrong choice, just different.

GUs

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
The bottom line: Own a M7 ? Great! Have an A6 or A8 ? Also great! We all own beautiful C7's and that is really GREAT !! :pride:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Who do we blame for the decreasing low percentage sales of manuals?? Manual trannies have been out there for over 100 years, Yes they require more driving skills. We can not blame the automatics, they also have been around for over half century. We can not blame the automakers, if there is no demand for the manual, they won't produce it.

The fact is that people are not teaching their young ones to drive manuals, just like they teach their kids to play golf or fishing. The generation of manual driver is going to the past, without passing on those driving skills. Younger drivers now day, instead of having their right hand on the shift stick, they have it on their smart phone, texting. Parents now days are too busy and don't have time or patience to teach their kids manual driving. Parents may not know how to drive manual themselves. That's why the percentage of manual drivers is very low now days.

Personally, I used to drive 18 wheelers about 20 years ago, 10 speeds, 14 speeds and so on. I used to have manual sports cars including manual Corvettes. I know a lot about manuals. I'm a A8 owner and I don't miss the clutch, but I will pass my driving skills to my son God willing.

So all these myths about manuals better than auto, or auto better than manuals, it's just pure entertainment for me.

JLG

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Mobius---my dealer is the largest in the country and the auto sales here at least are 5 to 1...... The manuals sit in inventory a lot longer as well so they do not order many for floor plan in fact it is close to special order...

I would not have considered the car unless it had an auto. The manual is going to be eliminated in the coming years by a new safety requirement. That is a different thread though..

The big boy car makers have already kicked the manual to the curb and as the older generation stops driving they will be less and less demand...

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think I'll coin the phrase "Clutch Twitch"

fltsfshr

"Clutch Twitch".... When I'm driving my wife's ATS my left foot instinctively hunts for the clutch.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts