Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tested the durability of the Xpel Film!

About a month ago I was driving from Spring Mountain racetrack to San Diego, I was on the I-15 freeway just south of Temecula CA. I was in the fast lane traveling about 70mph when a Cal Trans truck just in front of me and one lane over lost a 20" traffic cone off the back of his truck which bounced into my lane. I hit the cone with my right front bumper and tire and sucked it under the car and I ran over it again with the right rear tire. I had just installed the xpel film to the entire front end, rocker panels, mirrors, and bottom 1/4 of the rear rocker panel. When I got out of the car to inspect the damage I had black rubber marks and abrasions to the front bumper and the rocker panel just in front of the rear tire. After washing the car most of the black marks came out leaving a few deep abrasions and some black which did not want to wash out. Rather than try to scrub any further I decided to leave them alone until I could return to Elite Auto Films in Fremont and have them inspect the damage and look at the paint below the film to see if it was affected. I finally got the car to them today and the report is good news. The film took all of the hit and protected the paint from damage. They were able to remove almost all of the black marks with a little cleaning wax and they said the remainder of the black would come out with a little polishing compound. I am sure that if I did not have the film on the car the paint would have taken a hit and I would be doing some type of auto body paint repairs. The price I paid for the film seemed steep at the time but now it looks like I made a good investment in getting it done. I couldn't be happier with this xpel clear bra!

·
Administrator
16,285 Posts
That sounds like it was a bit scary there Ken! Glad to hear the Expel worked so well and appreciate your posting the review.:cool: You may have to go back and take the peripheral cone avoidance part of Ron Fellows course again though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Is the wax and polishing compound applied to the Xpel film or did you have to replace the film?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice! Im glad no damage was done to the paint on your car. What was the cost of the expel film if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the wax and polishing compound applied to the Xpel film or did you have to replace the film?
It was applied to the film, the film never broke through to the paint.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! Im glad no damage was done to the paint on your car. What was the cost of the expel film if you dont mind me asking?
I paid $2100 for the entire front of the car back to the doors, full rocker panels, door sills, mirrors, and rear quarter panels.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like it was a bit scary there Ken! Glad to hear the Expel worked so well and appreciate your posting the review.:cool: You may have to go back and take the peripheral cone avoidance part of Ron Fellows course again though :rolleyes:
Jeff
That's a great idea, I'd love to go back there! maybe they could add moving cone avoidance to the course.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Ken, I'm glad to read the Xpel worked as intended. I've seen vehicles that have hit those cones, huge dents in the hood or fender they can do some serious damage.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yup, it's huge. Some dunce backed up and rode up my front bumper in Key West. Whatever dirt and minor abrasions that resulted came out with a mild polish. Phew!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Glad to hear you cone adventures were not too terrible Ken.

I had a similar thing happen to me in bumper to bumper traffic at 70mph in LA once. I hit a cone with the right front tire in my Mom's Altima, it went up INTO the wheel well and ripped the holy crap out of it. I spit the cone out first. And then right after, the entire wheel well liner went flying out the back before I could even pull over. She had to have the body shop fix it of course.

Scary stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts