Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THOROUGHLY INSPECT YOUR CAR!!!

I remember how excited I was when I picked up mine Museum Delivery. So excited in fact that only when I was just about to drive it, having done all the paperwork, etc., did I think to closely examine it. Thankfully David Smith, NCM PDI Delivery Coordinator had done his always meticulous review and our car was perfect.

Thankfully, almost all StingRays are being delivered in excellent condition!!! HOWEVER, there are already four documented cases of C7's arriving at the dealership with things needing adjustment, and other problems etc.

1) Corvettedriver1492's car: Misaligned body panels & paint drip, http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-owners-logbook/882-my-write-up-my-c7.html. (See last two pictures in post #9.);

2) StingRay delivered withOUT carbon fiber dash (though it was on the window sticker and the invoice and therefore total customer charges);

3) StingRay with either one, 1LT seat and one, 2LT seat, OR the passenger seat's "V" emblem had either never been installed by the supplier or come off since;

4) A black car, in addition to Corvettedriver1492's also had a paint drip.

So please do not do what I did in my delivery euphoria, get carried away and not do a systematic inspection, but instead, "breathe," do a thorough walk around the car (perhaps having your mate or friend do likewise) before you sign anything. Not suggesting, as some have advocated, that you should refuse delivery, but at least take pictures of all your concerns, write down all your concerns, and have the dealership representative note, in writing, with both his signature and yours, that your car was delivered with the following items needing correction.

Fortunately, in Corvettedriver1492's case the dealership he took it to agrees with everything he pointed out as needing correction -- even though that dealership was not the one he bought it from , and that second dealership is "stepping up to the plate."

·
Registered
214 Posts
We definitely need our own chklist for when we arrive for delivery. Even if it takes an extra 20-30 mins its worthwhile.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
shall we start a list? - TIRE PRESSURE - the trucks inflate the pressure 10 - 15 lbs above correct pressure so they can tie the cars down better. Many prep guys miss it..Bring it back down to normal before driving very far...bring a gauge....

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would go to the dealership with a 3"x5" card with me (yes, ole school); of course, a cell phone list will work. At the car, I would check first my "exterior" options, then my "interior ones," then "misc" and go over the car starting at the top of my list, insuring that everything I ordered is on the car. I would include finding the "fueling funnel," and for the Z-51 cars, checking that your separate package of "brake rotor cooling rings" is included. Then ask for and review the PDI check list.

How about an item for that list: "Slow, methodical checking of all exterior panels (including wheels and tires) car interior, cargo area and under-the-hood."

Other suggestions? And, for those who have already taken delivery, does the car come with an owners manual and separate infotainment manual? C

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
after 3 days, call chevy customer service and read them your VIN...ask them to read you back the address and owner. Dealers punch these cars "sold" into the system manually and can screw it up. 2-3% of the registrations are usually wrong. No recall notices for you....

·
Registered
214 Posts
A comprehensive list is a great idea. I'm taking notes of what you guys have already posted. many things I wouldn't have thought of in a million years.

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
I am anticipating the Museum Team will do a thorough job when I pick up RedHot. I plan on documenting (to the degree I can keep my excitement in check and stay focused :)) with pics, some videos and a write-up. Will pay particular attention to anything I would normally not have thought to check and try to get that posted first. :cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is an excellent idea. I got caught up in the excitement when my C6 arrived and missed things I'm still kicking myself about six-years later...Obviously -- with insight like too much tire pressure -- you guys and ladies out there know more about this than I do, so if anyone would please compile a punch list to share it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another thing to add to the list, do NOT let them wash or "detail" your babies when they arrive. I tell all my clients to let the dealerships know, NOT to detail their cars when they arrive. The detailers up there don't really know what they are doing and will induce marring and/or swirl marks to the paint. Corvettes are known for their very hard clear coats, this helps with not being able to get swirls as easy, but at the same time, they are much harder to remove when they are in there. Let them do the delivery inspection, and that's all.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am anticipating the Museum Team will do a thorough job when I pick up RedHot. I plan on documenting (to the degree I can keep my excitement in check and stay focused :)) with pics, some videos and a write-up. Will pay particular attention to anything I would normally not have thought to check and try to get that posted first. :cool:
JSVette, I'm planning on a Museum Delivery too, but I thought video equipment wasn't allowed. Have you heard something different?

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
JSVette, I'm planning on a Museum Delivery too, but I thought video equipment wasn't allowed. Have you heard something different?
Good question. I don't know at this point. I will find out once my date and time are finalized. I was really thinking more of the entire process from Museum delivery through the 1800 miles drive back to Vegas.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Two answers here: The Museum supports video cameras, cell phone cameras, cameras of every kind and shape.

The Bowling Green Assembly Plant , however, expressively forbids cameras of all sorts/kinds, as per the link below. The BGAP will not let you into their plant with anything on the prohibited list, and recommends you leave it all off their property or locked in your car, not in sight, at the plant (they do have lots of be security there).

Please especially read post # 3.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-discussions/909-open-bgap-plant-tours.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sirrius XM Radio: The 3LT option includes 9 months coverage in addition to the 3 month standard time period, i.e. 1 year. The dealer must contact Sirrius XM to activate the 9 month extension.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am doing a courtesy delivery and when I requested that they do not wash my car I got this response: "we could do that, but that they can not see if there are any scratches or problems sometimes through the dust etc, so if there are any issues they don't catch because of that it will be your responsibility." Anyone else experience this or should I be concerned?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I am doing a courtesy delivery and when I requested that they do not wash my car I got this response: "we could do that, but that they can not see if there are any scratches or problems sometimes through the dust etc, so if there are any issues they don't catch because of that it will be your responsibility." Anyone else experience this or should I be concerned?

Thanks
I would rather take the chance and let them wash the car than risk missing something on the inspection. Those cars can be pretty dirty coming off the truck and mine did have a small scratch that the dealer fixed before I accepted delivery.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I wonder if it is out of the question to ask that the car be hand washed by a local detailer (which had been previously arranged for) so that a third party could inspect the car for surface / paint quality issues?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can always ask. I detailed a C7 a few weeks ago and it was the 1st one I have seen that was in flawless condition. I told him to have the dealer do the PPI but not wash. The others that have been "detailed" that I have worked on had pretty bad swirls and scratches. I see your argument of potentially missing something but they do such awful detailing that it could cost much more in the long run to fix what they did.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Bring a torque wrench. My lugnuts were at 80 ft/lbs. They're supposed to be at 100 ft/lbs.

DON'T expect build sheet. GM gives them to the NCM for "archiving". You have to pay $30 to get a COPY of it, NOT the original.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts