Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say that the new C7 is a unique car. I have never owned or driven a car that is so exciting and cool yet at the same time so comfortable to drive. This is the part that I really had not counted on or even thought about. Simply cruising down the highway is pure pleasure not thinking about how fast the car is or how well it can carve up a track or a windy country road. This is truly an every day car. I really did not care about the cylinder deactivation feature when I decided to purchase a new C7. However it really has become interesting when traveling on the interstate to watch and see when it goes from 4 cylinder mode to 8 cylinder mode. Tracking the gas mileage has proven some interesting things. I have determined that the car gets the best gas mileage above 1,500 RPM's. In other words, going into 7th gear and running much below 1500 RPM's results in lower gas mileage as the engine goes more quickly back to 8 cylinder mode. However, if I leave it in 6th (or any gear that results around 1800 to 2000 RPM) the car will stay in 4 cylinder mode even up most hills. I drove my C7 to Newport News last week and averaged over 30 MPG once I figured all this out.

Since we have had some warmer weather, I am also amazed at the transformation that occurs with the handling of this car. The OEM tires HATE cold weather. When things get a little warm, this car sticks to the road like nothing else I have driven, even better than my Porsche 911. That's saying a lot. In fact, I have tried to induce some tire noise pushing the C7 harder and harder and it just keeps on track.....so much so that occupants have warned me that if I keep it up that their last meal is coming back up. The angles of this car are also beautiful....from every direction. Even from the drivers seat. I love the view over the hood reminding me of my 1968 Corvette 427 (been gone for a long time). I loved the view from the seat of my 68 but hated most everything else about the car except the unbelievable torque of the 427. Likely, the torque on the C7 is better considering the weight of the old Vette's.

At first, the C7 took some getting used to, especially the visibility but in short time I have become very comfortable with the car and feel that it fits the driver like a glove. I wish I could drive it more but the winter has been rough in Richmond VA. I also must admit that I am experiencing some stress parking it and leaving it alone. I guess anything that is new causes this stress but I am not worried about having to walk a little further to park away from other cars. I hear that sales of the Viper are suffering and many sources are blaming the new Stingray. I think Chevrolet is going to steal a number of sales from other car companies. I can think of nothing I would want more until I get over $125,000 and even then, the Stingray holds it's own well.

Great Job Chevrolet!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Glad to see you could get it out between the snows Ralph. Sound like its working out for you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supposed to be in the 70's on Saturday so I'm headed to Cars & Coffee in Richmond this weekend.

14 C7 Red 3LT Magnetic Ride Control Z51 Clear Roof Black Rims Red Brake Calipers Dual Sport Exhaust.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'm wondering if you can 'feel' anything when it goes to 4 cyl mode? Like slight vibration or other changes

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
rlovelace, Really good information, Thanks

SF
Rick

·
Registered
10,219 Posts
That is an excellent essay! Thank you for sharing it with us!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Have been looking at other posting and nice to hear the part about getting used to the 'visibility' issues. That was one of small concerns I had.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Super write up. Agree w everything and couldn't have said it better.

MrG 69
Enjoying every mile in my CGM/Kalahari 7sp Z51 2LT Coupe w NPP, Nav, CF Mirrors/Spoiler and BC Roof
** Sent from mobile using Corvette Stingray Forum App **

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm wondering if you can 'feel' anything when it goes to 4 cyl mode? Like slight vibration or other changes
Glad you asked this. I feel something that I do NOT like and was wondering if others did and what the thought.

When it drops to V4 I feel a kathunk. Not a KATHUNK, just a kathunk. If my hand is on the shifter (7sp) I really feel it.

It's smooth as butter going back to V8.

Other peoples experience?

MrG 69
Enjoying every mile in my CGM/Kalahari 7sp Z51 2LT Coupe w NPP, Nav, CF Mirrors/Spoiler and BC Roof

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
MrG 69, I can't hear or feel it in my C7, is it because I have an automatic? I've owned a 2009 GMC pickup with the AFM (Active Fuel Management), and I couldn't hear or feel it 8cly to 4cly, it was an automatic also.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
67 Posts
MrG69, I'm with you. I've got about 900 miles on mine (7sp) and when in Eco and it goes from v8 to v4 I too feel a soft thunk. Nothing going v4 to v8. Wondering if it's supposed to do this or if I should be worried.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
366 Posts
ChopperPilot... Thanks for sharing. Some solace. Interested to hear from others.

MrG 69

·
Registered
62 Posts
MrG69, I'm with you. I've got about 900 miles on mine (7sp) and when in Eco and it goes from v8 to v4 I too feel a soft thunk. Nothing going v4 to v8. Wondering if it's supposed to do this or if I should be worried.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum
Same thing I experience so it sounds like this is standard operating procedure for Eco mode.

·
Registered
10,219 Posts
Maybe this has something to do with why V4 is only used in Eco mode with the M7 transmission.

From a physical standpoint I don't understand why this would be the case, but it is starting to maybe look that way.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Is there a setting so it visually shows you when dropping cylinders? I can't tell at all, have an auto.
Yes. Select 'Info' from your center dash modes and then rotate thru till you get the instant gas mileage readout. There is a V8/V4 indicator icon on this screen.

MrG 69

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I barely notice it going between modes. Not hearing any appreciable noises but I notice it but have to be paying attention. When in doubt, take it to the dealer and get a mechanic to ride with you. I also plan to take my car and have them lift it so I can inspect the under side of the car and I'm going to have my oil changed as I just crossed over 1000 miles. I've always thought it best to replace engine oil synthetic or not after first 1000 miles.

14 C7 Red 3LT Magnetic Ride Control Z51 Clear Roof Black Rims Red Brake Calipers Dual Sport Exhaust.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts