Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
very cool, but why do we have to pay $350 for this to be loaded, should be a free option in my opinion. I'm sure it was developed and will be on new cars, and if it can be retrofitted to older, just let them have it free. I'll speak to my dealer about getting this though....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I can't say I mind the charge. There are incremental improvements made all the time, but they are rarely offered retroactively in any official capacity. This seems like a bonus to me.

Reactions: Sting

·
Registered
90 Posts
First, I'll wait for some hands on reporting about the "improvements" but I am definitely of mixed mind regarding the "update" cost.

Sure, there is a cost to developing or refining existing software and delivering an update, but to me, $350 is a bit steep (i.e. over $12 mil if purchased by 35,000 owners), and, I can't help but view this as GM testing the waters as to whether we will pay for other updates, i.e. fixing programming bugs, offering improvements to the infotainment, dash display themes, graphics and other systems, etc. Definitely a slippery slope!

I'd prefer they follow the model of Apple and Android and offer free software updates, that cap out over a period of time when the hardware can no longer support the improved software, which motivates everyone to buy a new iPhone or Corvette...well I can dream can't I?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Notably, for '14-'16 Stingray Z51's the update is only for tour and sport modes. Doesn't help me as when I take my car to the track I use track mode...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Notably, for '14-'16 Stingray Z51's the update is only for tour and sport modes. Doesn't help me as when I take my car to the track I use track mode...
Maybe they can't improve on the Z51 Track Mode (or they can't make the MSRC any stiffer than it already is on that setting)?

I'm thinking the rave reviews that after market MSRC tuner seems to get prompted GM to offer this.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I'm curious about what the upgrade does to the '16 non Z51. I have a '15 base and besides the exhaust settings, the only difference between the modes is progressively tighter steering. For less money, adding the Z51 sway bars (which I did) would seem to be a better investment.

Reactions: krauty

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm curious about what the upgrade does to the '16 non Z51. I have a '15 base and besides the exhaust settings, the only difference between the modes is progressively tighter steering. For less money, adding the Z51 sway bars (which I did) would seem to be a better investment.
Starting MY 2016, MSRC became a stand-alone option.

·
18,670 Posts
Thanks for finding and posting MkoSharkII. (As suggested, moved it to Major C7 News, though left a one week “expiring redirect link” for all who found it originally where you posted it.)

I am guessing it is going to make, for the Z06’s, “tour” and “track” both a softer ride. This is based on when they placed this new software on a Z06 on at least one harsh track, it finished more than a second ahead of its time (same day/conditions) with the original setting. Have not a clue as to whether the changes in the sport more will be more than minimal. We await SRF member reports who choose to do this, not just for the Z, but for other effected models.

However, $350 for a software update that will probably take a tech less than an hour to download, maybe half that time, especially as we know that the developments costs were part of the the 2018 program improvement program. I could see charging us $99 or even $149. Sorry GM, $350 is just plain greedy!

I will personally wait for those who have done it to report back as to whether they can tell a marked improvement.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Starting MY 2016, MSRC became a stand-alone option.
Thanks. I knew that ... but for some reason when I posted, I was thinking MRSC did not become available on base models until the '17 MY :stupid:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
$350 also steep for me to shell out, like John said $99 would be the max that I would release from my pocket for this. Will lurke now to see how well this does.

·
Registered
706 Posts
For three times the $350 privc of an update you can get a fully programmable MSRC controller.

And Eh, $350 is pretty cheap. Think how many times I've paid $50 (or more) to upgrade my DOS / Windows operating system... Heck they want $150 for a Nav map update. (which should be free, plus the cost of a new 8 gig mem stick. I mean, that you should pay for. And I wouldn't let you send your usb drive in to get the free map, you never know what's been on that thing...)

·
Registered
275 Posts
They should call this Patch 2.0 and give it for free. And probably it's possible to do this via USB : )

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called the dealer to inquire... First SA was confused and then put me on hold for 15 minutes. I called back and asked for someone else. Second SA was also exceptionally confused. "Body Control update?" and then "Service bulletin software? That's about $119, not $350" among other things. I finally gave up for now. Anyone else have better information? Some kind of reference number or something?

·
18,670 Posts
I called the dealer to inquire... First SA was confused and then put me on hold for 15 minutes. I called back and asked for someone else. Second SA was also exceptionally confused. "Body Control update?" and then "Service bulletin software? That's about $119, not $350" among other things. I finally gave up for now. Anyone else have better information? Some kind of reference number or something?
Here are the exact P/N’s for the MSRC upgrade, thanks to jsvette who found them for us:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 363 Posts