Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Save money, especially for 2015 1LT/2LT owners where the combined nav/PDR has become a $1,795 option, compared to the Nav alone for $795 in the 2014's, and also noting this for current '14 or potential '15 owners who do not want to spend either $8,005 nor $9,450 for 3LT/3LZ respectively as they do not want IWE and/or Nav/PDR, here is a great option! Credit to "Fore58" for the picture and notation of the great fit of the 5" Magellan GPS unit, and credit to "Modshack" for noting, "USB is a standard 5V output. Just get a USB to mini cable (like above, or available in most USB power/connection kits for little $$) and plug in to the Port inside the cubby."

A great, hidden when you are parked, much cheaper alternative!!! And how fantastically the 5" unit fits...
When asked about reception inside the cubby for either for the 5" Magellan or a Garmin, two reviewers said it worked well, though one noted it seems to take little bit longer to initially "acquire SAT," while another said, "no problems at all."

Note, depending on which model, the 5" Magellan sells at Amazon for between $89.99 and $179.99 (with, of course, user reviews there of the different Magellan 5" models), AND there is also a Magellan 5" combined GPS/Dash Cam unit on Amazon for $215.95 (though note the user reviews of its pluses and minuses).

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
You should also be able to achieve a similar result with a 5 inch or smaller smartphone, if you feel the need to have map visuals.

On the few occasions when I've needed NAV, I've simply used Bluetooth on my Android phone to play voice navigation through the Vette audio system (while also streaming music) - I find it less distracting than referencing the map visuals while driving.

Reactions: elegant

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should also be able to achieve a similar result with a 5 inch or smaller smartphone, if you feel the need to have map visuals.

On the few occasions when I've needed NAV, I've simply used Bluetooth on my Android phone to play voice navigation through the Vette audio system - I find it less distracting than referencing the map visuals while driving.
Loving that option too! Thanks Mobius!

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Yelp. Go the 2LZ route and keep using the Android with real-time traffic through Google Maps (real-time traffic is a must for me in the Bay Area).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Given the OEM cost--there should be a alternative that will work and fit perfect. I am of the belief that Garmin or brand X could see a market somewhere between 25 and 35k corvette production numbers which they could mine and sell a better unit. Five years of Stringray production could really yield a big market place for an alternative.---Garmin, you reading this?

Reactions: tmcternan

·
Registered
810 Posts
Brilliant! Thinking most 5" units with a beanbag mount would fit in there nicely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts