Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning and happy Memorial Day everyone! I recently started having radio issues on my 2016 Z51. The sound would disappear and the presets for radio stations would blank out. I was also having a slow crank on the vehicle, and knew the battery would be a good place to start. So, just swapped the old battery with a new AGM Diehard Platinum and everything was running great... for 5 minutes. Then the radio started acting up again same problems as before. I also noticed that the clock was disappearing when my radio presets and sound froze up and left. After a bit of driving, I hit a bump and things turned on again briefly but the clock was wrong by 3 hours. So I thought, maybe loose connection or reception issue. But sitting at a light, it froze up again. I parked at home, locked the car and opened my door. At this point, the radio still showed on, which it shouldn't considering the vehicle was shut off. I locked my car and walked away for 15-20 minutes. Came down to my car, started it up and the radio was frozen on black screen. I should mention that during the first times my infotainment screen had issues I tried disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes. That obviously didn't help lol.. suggestions?
Pictures attached of issue.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,146 Posts
Welcome to our forum KorbenDallas27. Sorry to read about your info screen issues. Perhaps one of our members will be able to shed light on the possible cause if its not the info module going bad.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I had a problem with my infotainment system where the screen wouldn't turn off completely when I exited the car. Also, the lights on the HVAC knobs would intermittently fail. It was diagnosed as a bad Body Control Module. The dealer replaced the BCM and updated the related software. This was almost six years ago and it has been trouble free since then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was told at the dealership a couple days ago that there will be a recall issued in next couple of weeks for C8 infotainment system. Maybe all this ties in with a general glitch in the systems old and new that will be addressed. Mine is in for fuel module replacement which I discussed earlier on the forum.

·
Administrator
17,146 Posts
Was told at the dealership a couple days ago that there will be a recall issued in next couple of weeks for C8 infotainment system. Maybe all this ties in with a general glitch in the systems old and new that will be addressed. Mine is in for fuel module replacement which I discussed earlier on the forum.
Once you get your work order, if we haven't already posted the TSB, please let us know the recall name, number, etc., so we can add it to our TSB section. ON GOING SUMMARY OF TSBs BY MODEL YEAR C7 & C8 Thanks!

Reactions: KorbenDallas27

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a problem with my infotainment system where the screen wouldn't turn off completely when I exited the car. Also, the lights on the HVAC knobs would intermittently fail. It was diagnosed as a bad Body Control Module. The dealer replaced the BCM and updated the related software. This was almost six years ago and it has been trouble free since then.
Thanks Henry, I'll look into the BCM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update - I juggled and ensured the three connectors were in all the way to the HMI unit, and suddenly the radio started working. Very interesting. Could just be coincidence- but I'll know for sure within a week as I drive my car daily. Fingers crossed. Someone at the Chevy Dealership told me on the phone that there may have been water damage to the amplifier in the trunk because these cars are known for water leaks. Hope that's no the case.

·
Administrator
17,146 Posts
Glad it is working and hope the fix is permanent! As for "Someone at the Chevy Dealership told me on the phone that there may have been water damage to the amplifier in the trunk because these cars are known for water leaks." that is news to me and not a common issue as far as I am aware.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good morning and happy Memorial Day everyone! I recently started having radio issues on my 2016 Z51. The sound would disappear and the presets for radio stations would blank out. I was also having a slow crank on the vehicle, and knew the battery would be a good place to start. So, just swapped the old battery with a new AGM Diehard Platinum and everything was running great... for 5 minutes. Then the radio started acting up again same problems as before. I also noticed that the clock was disappearing when my radio presets and sound froze up and left. After a bit of driving, I hit a bump and things turned on again briefly but the clock was wrong by 3 hours. So I thought, maybe loose connection or reception issue. But sitting at a light, it froze up again. I parked at home, locked the car and opened my door. At this point, the radio still showed on, which it shouldn't considering the vehicle was shut off. I locked my car and walked away for 15-20 minutes. Came down to my car, started it up and the radio was frozen on black screen. I should mention that during the first times my infotainment screen had issues I tried disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes. That obviously didn't help lol.. suggestions?
Pictures attached of issue.
Mine has been flickering on/off...lately more "off." What are you going to do, buy ne one? I've tried lowering screen etc. nope!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Driver's side kick panel, there is a module with connectors that you can disconnect/reconnect. There are at least 2 blue ones (light and dark blue) and a black one. Play around with the connectors and wires. This is a known problem and will lead to radio/screen problems. Mine has had this, dealer could never fix the problem. When my radio starts to cut out or lose the screen, I reach down and "help" the connectors. It always comes back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Driver's side kick panel, there is a module with connectors that you can disconnect/reconnect. There are at least 2 blue ones (light and dark blue) and a black one. Play around with the connectors and wires. This is a known problem and will lead to radio/screen problems. Mine has had this, dealer could never fix the problem. When my radio starts to cut out or lose the screen, I reach down and "help" the connectors. It always comes back.
Geeez....how do you take it off???????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts