Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All,

Interesting discovery this morning while installing my MGW Shifter. Anyone else discovery this interesting piece of ingenuity? I don't think this is standard on our cars. The only thing I can think of is during assembly someone put it there to hold the tube in place while they attached the shifter box.

Did anyone else discover this?

I emailed MGW, waiting for a response. I doubt it is suppose to be there, but I will wait until a get an "official" answer.

IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yes - I installed my MGW Shifter last Friday and had the rubber band loosely draping over the old shifter. But, from reading many posts before my install I knew there might be one inside. I just tossed it out.

BTW - You're going to love it!!!

Gus

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MGW just advised it is a "production aid" at the plant. Too funny!!!!!

I think i will cut it off, after I get the MGW shifter box. I got to believe it was holding that tube in place, so they could attach the bolts. I cant see any other reason for it being there!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had one too. Mine was really dry and brittle and looked like it had baked onto the torque tube tunnel. I'm happy to have it out of there.

Derik

·
18,667 Posts
"promethius" is correct that the rubber band is just there to temporarily hold things in place while it is going down the assembly line. Mine too was fried when I did the MGW install, and it went into the trash.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine was still plyable. You guys must drive ur cars way to hard....just kidding!
MGW Flat stick all done! See how it operates tomorrow. Hopefully it is what everyone says it is!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the car out today and all I can say is......WOW! What an upgrade, crisp, smooth, and precision! For those of you debating, GET IT, you will not be disappointed. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know
Safe Driving, Tony.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This will definitely be one of the upgrades I will be doing over the winter, My biggest gripe with the stock shifter is that it sometimes has a tendency to go into 5th instead of 3rd when I drive it like I stole it which is most of the time!:furious:

·
Registered
52 Posts
MGW currently has a Holiday Special on the shifter! They are giving 10% off if you purchase by 1/1/19! I'm about to "pull the trigger" and make this the first mod on my C7.

·
Registered
52 Posts
After reading and reviewing all the great videos on the MGW Short Throw Shifter, I placed my order last night. Doing so, I received a 10% discount! I'll be watching my mail closely. Thanks to the "Good Folks" on this Forum, I'll be well versed on "Shifter Installation":smile-new:

·
Registered
52 Posts
MGW shifter arrived this afternoon! The entire mechanism is a "work of art"! The packaging was first class with all components well box and protected. Along with two wrenches they included a "cup alignment jig" which ensure the OEM "cup slider" is correctly centered in the "lower shift box"! I'll be busy early tomorrow doing the install.

·
18,667 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
A done deal! Spent 3 hours this a.m. and installed my MGW Short Throw Shifter! Encountered a problem removing the shift lever booth. The chrome locking ring on the leather booth separated during removal and required a new "zip tie". A easy fix but time consuming. The remainder of the installation went fine. My 2017 has a upgrade to the tunnel side cover. It is one piece. Several of the videos I viewed showed a small triangular piece closest to the dash. Other than that the install went smoothly.

Having put a thousand miles on the car since taking delivery, I can appreciate the smoothness and crisp shifts compared to the OEM Shifter. The throw is approximately 1.750 shorter than the OEM Stick.

I was so intent on the installation, I failed to take any pics. If I did, they would only be duplicates of whats on the net. Going to put some miles on over the next several day and "break-in" the new stick. IMHO this is the best "bang for the bucks"!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts