Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone has removed or installed a rear spoiler? I have heard two different ways. Some people say the entire rear bumper has to be removed, some say just the tail lights have to be removed. Are the tail lights easy to remove? Or is this a project the dealer should handle? Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I have done it and can send you the PDF don't believe anybody that tells tells you that just the lights need to come out

the tail light bezels need to come off and then the whole rear-end needs to come off so it could be drilled.

Email me if you want p.m. me and I'll give you the instructions

See my build thread in my sig below for pics of the rear end and spoiler install.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Glen for responding. I have a Z51 package and just want to change the spoiler to carbon fiber. Would holes still need to be drilled? If not can it be replaced without removing bumper? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Thanks Glen for responding. I have a Z51 package and just want to change the spoiler to carbon fiber. Would holes still need to be drilled? If not can it be replaced without removing bumper? Thanks for your help.
That is an excellent question. Glen, since he already has his holes drilled, could he reach the mounting locations without having to take the bumper off?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
No drilling necessary, if you can get to the bolts, it'll come off

I don't see how he can get to all nine bolts by reaching up thru....the rear comes off a easily though...but i've been wrong before .....if I wanted to try, I would start by taking out the taillight bezels , but the taillights are part of the car, not part of the rear end , so they stay on the car, so therefore I don't think you can get up around them .....also the center Bolts I think are completely inaccessible, but maybe accessible through the rear compartment near the sub woofer panel , so take off from the inside ....I'd have to do some exploratory work on it .....but by the time you take off the inside , maybe the subwoofers, and the outside , you could have the rear end off and put it back in the same amount of time.

I believe a tech would yank the rear end, when all is said and done....

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Thanks, Glen!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Glen! Sounds like I will just take it to the dealer and have them install the spoiler. I just want to make sure all the seams line up perfectly!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I want to do the opposite: I have the Z51-style carbon flash and want to swap it out for body color. Glen was kind enough to weigh in the other day. I have the color spoiler on hand, the holes are already drilled because the carbon flash is currently on the car, and I wanted to do it myself (operating a wrench is the extent of my mechanical ability, though!). I'm leery of the local dealership (didn't get it from them) doing it. Your concern is mine also. Will everything line up again? Will they scratch it? AND, will the holes line up for the replacement? Can't sleep!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I want to do the opposite: I have the Z51-style carbon flash and want to swap it out for body color. Glen was kind enough to weigh in the other day. I have the color spoiler on hand, the holes are already drilled because the carbon flash is currently on the car, and I wanted to do it myself (operating a wrench is the extent of my mechanical ability, though!). I'm leery of the local dealership (didn't get it from them) doing it. Your concern is mine also. Will everything line up again? Will they scratch it? AND, will the holes line up for the replacement? Can't sleep!
it's as easy as taking off the rear end, I suggest you have a friend help - see my build thread here for some more pics - basically it's as follows:
bolts in rear wheel wells under splash guards
bolts along top under trim in rear hatch
bolts underneath car along bottom
pull off rear tail bezels
disconnect elec connectors and hatch opener cable
replace spoiler, now reverse every step

1 - 10 of 10 Posts