Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was happy with the 2 1/4 inch cue ball size round shift knob I had installed on my Grand Sport but recently had a rattle and 'buzz' particularly at certain rpms. Was getting worse and annoying. Assumed it was the aluminum base on the aftermarket knob versus the plastic OEM vibrating on the OEM shift stick. Because of issues I had installing the knob, i.e. the aluminum ring coming lose from the leather and the screw head shearing I was reluctant to remove the knob.

Had seen a number of of very positive comments about the MGW shifter and their new "Flat Stick" came with a new rubber grommet that replaced the OEM aluminum. However it came with only a 2 inch cue ball shift knob and had been used to the cue ball size 2 1/4 inch knob on my 2014 C7 and now my Grand Sport. Fits my fat hands! Called George at MGW and asked some questions. Very knowledge fellow. He said no problem with the knob, buy our shifter without one and buy whatever size knob you want from EPCO, they make many types and sizes! In fact found they even made one 2 1/2 inch OD. Bought what I have been using, the exact size of a cue ball 2 1/4 inches.

MGW has excellent install videos and watched all that are about an hour. However there are a few tricks I found and in the middle of the install called George! He provided the answer very quickly and also said watch the C6 video (19 minutes) as it is the latest and up to date!

This is a PDF of my install with many pages of pics mostly taken from the MGW videos as well as some of my own. All pics have my comments: http://netwelding.com/MGW_Shifter.pdf

Very happy with the install. All noise is gone, very positive precise shifting. It is also a shorter shift but I don't perceive any increase in needed force. Could be due to their excellent construction.

MGW_Shifter.jpg IMG_0486.JPG

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
The only issue I had installing mine was getting the OEM rubber insulator to go under the rubber on the MGW shifter. That was a royal PITA.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know this has been posted somewhere on the forum, but for you convertible owners, there’s one additional step. Before you can remove the lower console frame, you have to remove the torx screws at the top of the waterfall to give you maneuvering room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tpe only issue I had installing mine was getting the OEM rubber insulator to go under the rubber on the MGW shifter. That was a royal PITA.
Funny they talk about that being difficult in the C7 video but in the C6 video George at MGW recommended watching as it was the latest, they used what looks like past hand soap. Than is what I used and it all slipped under fine.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Jerry, very clean looking install, the precise shifting makes it all well worth it and you did it yourself. Enjoy hitting your mark with every shift as you wheel around SC!

SF
Rick

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Put mine in my 2018 vert without taking out the waterfall. If you have to, it's simple.
BTW, if you need shift knobs look at Speed Dawg.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Put mine in my 2018 vert without taking out the waterfall. If you have to, it's simple.
BTW, if you need shift knobs look at Speed Dawg.
Just checked and like most knob sellers Speed Dawg may be getting them from epcomfg
where I got mine. They manufacture several hundred types. The key reason to check them out is size.

Even MGW who gets their knobs from “epcomfg” uses what Speed Dawg shows, 2 1/8 inch diameter. I was used to a real 2 1/4 inch cue ball size on the C7 and although it doesn’t sound like much- feels different. They can even supply one 2 1/2 inch diameter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Jerry U
Stingray Corvette Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to the 7th Gen Corvette Stingray. Come join the discussion on performance modifications, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing