Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scraped the bottom of the carbon fiber splitter I installed on my 2014 C7. Wanted to protect the carbon fiber splitter on my new Grand Sport. Found and installed a great product buy Scrape Armor!

They have custom fit products for protecting 6 Ferrari models, 6 Lamborghini and 7 Porsche models. It appears they cover all C7s, including those with just a standard protruding front bumper!

For my Stage 2 splitter the install mostly used the existing screws that hold the splitter undertray. It is made from a very slippery plastic (it even feels slippery) and has a patented surface design that minimums friction. This is a PDF of my install: http://netwelding.com/Splitter_Protectors.pdf

They have a model that fits C7’s without splitters that protects the lower edge of the standard bumper. Before I installed a splitter on my 2014 had scraped the bottom side of my bumper on a low curb when I turned too fast leaving a parking slot next to a low curb island!

You can purchase directly from Scrape Armor-details in the PDF
Forum_Protector.jpg
My Install Completed

Base C7.jpg
Pic of Standard C7 Front Bumper Protected- from their website

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Just FYI, but the discount code you give in your pdf appears to not work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I destroyed my splitter in months after I got my car. Just couldn't navigate the transitions as mine is a daily driver. I took my splitter off and still had road rash under the front nose. I put in the Protekt kits and it has worked beautifully. But I miss the look of my splitter so this suggestion seems to be the true fix.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Nice Tip Jerry !
Would like to see details of the items fitted with the Splitter stage 1 (to be usefull, those protections would have to be a bit lower than the splitter (which is not really a good thing for clearance) then what about the lasting of those protections after rubbing on some "good" roads bumps ?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice Tip Jerry !
Would like to see details of the items fitted with the Splitter stage 1 (to be useful, those protections would have to be a bit lower than the splitter (which is not really a good thing for clearance) then what about the lasting of those protections after rubbing on some "good" roads bumps ?
Just updated my install PDF. Realized the washer/spacers were not needed on my particular Stage 2 install as I did not put them were they would go when needed! Went on a River cruise in France and pondered the function of those spaces so called the manufacturer when I got back! I had finished the install just before i left. Since the "Protector" fit perfectly without the spacers in my case, if placed where they were designed to go it would have protruded too far! I did not need to use them!

From forum pics of the underside of the Stage 1 plastic splitter the spacers would be used. They go between the "Protector" and the undertray so the "Protector" is below the the splitter lip. In my case it protruded 1/4 inch without them. That does reduce the clearance 1/4 inch (6 mm in Switzerland! :tickled_pink:)

Funny, heard a scraping noise today when I pulled out of my driveway faster than usual! When I checked and moved the car back and forth to see the lowest clearance spot, realized I still had over 25 mm clearance to the "Protector" and it was the plastic air dam that scraped. However had it been the "Protector" just slightly hitting the pavement it would have been fine!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just FYI, but the discount code you give in your pdf appears to not work.
Sorry for the delay in responding. Just got back from a river cruise in France!
Checked and there is a new code! Vette30. It's a 30% discount! Have updated the PDF.
Sorry for the confusion.

Also found out they are making a "Protector" for a car model for a major US auto manufacturer and another for a large aftermarket Vette splitter producer. Not sure if they or the splitter manufacturer are going to offer it for sale.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A question for those of you that have this problem. I have a driveway that is at a fairly steep angle. I have a C6 ZO6 and a C7 Z51. I installed small "wheels" (like rollers) on my radiator supports on my C6Z06. It still rubs on the splitter, but the wheels protect the radiator supports as I enter and exit the driveway at about a 45 degree angle. My C7 Z51 enters and exits with no scrapes. I am looking at a Carbon 65 Grand Sport with the included areo package and front splitter. I am concerned that the front splitter will rub, even though my C7-Z51 does not rub. The front splitter on the Carbon 65 projects several inches in front of the car.
It appears that the ground clearance on the C6ZO6 and the C7Z51 is about the same, but the front wheel to front bumper on the C7 to C6 is slightly less on the C7 than the C6. (Of course, the splitter on the C6ZO6 does not project, it is right under the bumper.) A related question, is the ground clearance on a C7Z51 the same or different than a C7Grand Sport?
Any thoughts? I have backed away from buying, because I see no way to protect the splitter on the Carbon 65. The splitter on a C6ZO6 is less than $200 (have bought one), while it appears it is north on $1K for a C7 splitter.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If it was me, I'd order the poverty splitter (~$100), wrap it with a carbon fiber wrap, install it in place of the factory splitter (keep the factory splitter safe in the box) and not worry about scraping it.

In my opinion, if you drive the car (regardless of your driveway) you're going to destroy a carbon fiber, or fiberglass splitter....don't ask me how I know this.

The poverty splitter holds up great to bumps and scrapes due to the flexible plastic.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If it was me, I'd order the poverty splitter (~$100), wrap it with a carbon fiber wrap, install it in place of the factory splitter (keep the factory splitter safe in the box) and not worry about scraping it.

In my opinion, if you drive the car (regardless of your driveway) you're going to destroy a carbon fiber, or fiberglass splitter....don't ask me how I know this.

The poverty splitter holds up great to bumps and scrapes due to the flexible plastic.
Scrapped the combination C7 Carbon fiberglass/carbon fiber splitter I added to my 2014 C7. But it was only along the bottom and looked OK when I sold it after 3 1/2 years.

That is why I added the Scrape Armor "protector" to my Grand Sport. So far it has "protected the OEM CF splitter for ~ 2 years. Did scrape it a few times but no harm at all to the CF splitter. But agree you have to also be careful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts