Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to add a newly available cue ball size shift knob for a better feel. It also looks cool and since it is shorter reduces shifter throw to some extent. Made an 6 page PDF that provides a picture install detail, which is easy except for one item at the start, removing the chrome trim ring.
Even after reading forum comments about removing the chrome trim ring, with one poster indicating he was ready to use a hacksaw or C-4 explosive, I found the same problem! Unlike one post which says "you’ll see why you have to pull up slightly before pushing down "after you remove it," which was no help in understanding how to get it off, I provide pics of the grooves and pins so you see what you need to do. Still not easy buy avoids the use of screw drivers as levers (which will not help) or thinking about C-4! The PDF, along with over 20 others is available at netwelding.com/reports_vette_info.htm

Shift_Knob_Web.jpg

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Really like the articles Jerry U! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Decided to add a newly available cue ball size shift knob for a better feel. It also looks cool and since it is shorter reduces shifter throw to some extent. Made an 6 page PDF that provides a picture install detail, which is easy except for one item at the start, removing the chrome trim ring.
Jerry, you are "the man". Your PDF descriptions are great, and it's such a timesaver when you can learn from someone who's already been-there, done-that (and got the t-shirt?).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jerry, you are "the man". Your PDF descriptions are great, and it's such a timesaver when you can learn from someone who's already been-there, done-that (and got the t-shirt?).

Thanks again!
Thanks, fun to do. Thought this would be an easy one. Read instructions from several sources and forum comments. Some indicated the key to remove the small chrome ring that holds the top of the shifter boot was to pull up and rotate counterclockwise but never said how far. I pulled and tugged for 10+ minutes but could not get it to turn beyond 10 to 15 degrees.
After being frustrated decided to look at C6 shift knob video (it is the same as the C7.) That showed it needed to turn 90 degrees. Still wasn’t easy but at least had a goal The pic I show of the pin and groves defines what has to be done and the path the pins must take. As the one poster said, you’ll see how after it is off – but didn’t describe the device! Not much help! Still took much more force than the fellow took in the video! Probably like closing the rear hatch, each car is different! Did understand the one poster who said he was going to use a hacksaw or C-4 explosive!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts