Stingray Corvette Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Thinking of doing a RaceDeck project in our 3 car garage - similar to this one I found on the interwebs. Any additional words of wisdom before I pull the trigger? Thanks, Mike
Hi Meister. Consider going to Youtube and watching Race Deck install videos.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks. I did read through the threads here and I will check out You Tube as suggested. Looking forward to this project getting underway!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Thanks. I did read through the threads here and I will check out You Tube as suggested. Looking forward to this project getting underway!
Here are a couple of teaser pictures of the project in the new house I am building (and moving into within a couple of weeks). This Race Deck floor was installed by my wife and I over a weekend. I plan to create an album of the start to finish building of my garage when it is all done. But these pictures are of our 16X31 garage after I tried the car to make sure it all fit well and looked ok. More pictures to follow within a couple of weeks.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Ah, the floor matches your car, docjb! The color coordination is very nice!

Reactions: docjb

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looks great Doc. Love the Z too!

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Doc, outstanding job and the color combo is perfect.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Ah, the floor matches your car, docjb! The color coordination is very nice!

Yes, Rodney. I love it when a plan comes together!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Thanks to all for the kind words. I will post more pictures a little later, after we get moved in. I will also spec what I have used and give reviews of the products, from my point of view. BTW, the car does not set on it's side for those of you who see a rotated picture.

·
Registered
69 Posts
202241[/ATTACH]46415[/ATTACH]Here is a post describing my installation of Racedeck flooring. I received free shipping by stating I was a member of one of the garage forums. They had also discounted the tile based on the quantity ordered of about 500 square feet. The customer service people are very helpful. The installation went pretty smoothly, not nearly as "happy go lucky" as the videos, but not too bad. You have to properly align the tiles before you stomp them into place and make sure the pins connect with the female openings. Every once in a while we would have a male pin get stuck above the floor and would have to push it in with a putty knife (have a stiff putty knife for the install about 2"). It is also very helpful to have a short rubber sledge hammer to bang the tiles into place in hard to reach areas and for the short trim pieces. Be careful to watch your pattern, when you get tired it is not impossible to put down the wrong tile. I installed them in the 2ft by 2ft pattern to avoid breaking apart 500 individual tiles, that thought made it an easy choice. My wife and I worked on a major part of the project where she would carefully place the 2 x 2 section, I would stomp it into place a couple of times and then she would tap the rest of the square into place with the rubber hammer. This worked well for us.

The flooring looks great. I had a couple tiles around a water softener and an uneven wall that would have helped if I had a jigsaw, but even with straight cuts and a little patching around those obstacles everything came out pretty nice.

Prior to the install, after reading about using table saws, circular saws and jigsaws to cut the tile, I decided to buy a vinyl cutter since they used one in the Racedeck installation video.

I was worried about the noise of walking on the tile but chose not to put any underlay material down. To me it seems just fine, and easier on me than walking on concrete. The noise is not a factor at all in my opinion. Hope this helps by answering a number of questions that I had while researching the Racedeck product. I would do it all again, looks pretty cool. Next step my New Age Pro Series Red cabinets!! I will post an update photo was those are installed.

And the final step will probably be to build a one car shed in the backyard to store all the junk I pulled out of the garage to do this project in the first place...

--2015 Blade Silver Convertible -Adrenaline Red seats and calipers -2LT -PDR- Z51 spoiler- black badges

IMG_4971.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Looks fantastic aholem! You did a great job and chose perfect colors for your C7.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Finally got around to finishing the install on the Race Deck floor. Turned out pretty nice. Vette 7 looks right at home.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It really looks awesome Meister. You you can be proud of your work and the product.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
oholem, awesome looking layout for your C7 masterpiece, I like your arched windows nice design for a garage.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Meister, awesome looking deck layout for your C7 masterpiece and you have plenty of room. My main garage is also the checkered flag pattern, 12"X12" hard tile I laid it down 2001 and it's still in outstanding shape.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks Rick. Glad to here it has a long life!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I have abused and spilled every type of automotive liquid you can on my race deck floor. It always seems to come back looking great after a good mopping. Very durable with easy installation.

·
Administrator
15,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Here is an update after 5 years with the RaceDeck tiles: I have had zero issues, no problems with liquids or critters under the tiles. I have used my floor jack and jack stands many times, all without any protection between the jack or jack stands and the tiles. They do not leave any mark or indentation, nor crack the tile.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
I have had Race Deck on my garage floor for 16 years. Absolutely no issues!

Reactions: jsvette
61 - 80 of 82 Posts