Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put in an OEM battery on my 2015 C7 convertible stingray in January 2021. I do not drive my car that often sometimes as little as 30-40 miles in a week. After getting my new battery I experienced a few weeks later where the car would not start and used one of the little jump starters to get it working again and since then I started keeping it on the OEM trickle charger. Yesterday my car started fine- I drove it about 30 miles and it had been on the trickle charger, when I got into my car after it sat for two hours it would not start I had to jump it and then I drove it 15 miles it started fine. Even though I don't drive my car a lot it seems like my old battery never had this level of issue when I was driving it the same amount of time. So obviously I can take it to a dealer but I'm just curious if anyone has any advice and thank you. I couldn't find a different place to post this thread so I hope it's OK.

·
Administrator
16,914 Posts
Things to check: Make sure you are plugging the charger into the trunk accessory outlet- that is the only one that will charge your battery. Check to ensure that the charger is making a good connection in the outlet- some members have had theirs not properly connect. Have the battery checked for dead cells.

Driving a discharged or low voltage battery only 15 miles on city streets will not charge your battery. A 15 or 20 minute run on the interstate is much better to recharge.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
When I had a battery going out on the Z06, I found it showed a high rate of charge (about 15.6 volts) when driving. I supposed that even a good battery that is low on charge will show a similar rate of charge, so you might watch that. There is always a possibility that a new battery has a bad cell--you might run over to an AutoZone or similar store and have them check it. I once put a new battery in my '67 Austin Healey and it still wouldn't start. I tested everything I could and even replaced the starter motor before finally discovering (via jump starting from a running car) that my battery had a bad cell. Replaced it and all was fine. The guy who sold me the new starter even took it back and gave me my old one, the kind of guy who inspires loyalty. --Bob

·
Registered
149 Posts
If YOU installed it yourself check for completely torqued down fasteners in the blind view from above. It is so easy to think you are 100% seated, due to the resistance of the joint, when you are not even close. Been there done that and so many others have too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Put in an OEM battery on my 2015 C7 convertible stingray in January 2021. I do not drive my car that often sometimes as little as 30-40 miles in a week. After getting my new battery I experienced a few weeks later where the car would not start and used one of the little jump starters to get it working again and since then I started keeping it on the OEM trickle charger. Yesterday my car started fine- I drove it about 30 miles and it had been on the trickle charger, when I got into my car after it sat for two hours it would not start I had to jump it and then I drove it 15 miles it started fine. Even though I don't drive my car a lot it seems like my old battery never had this level of issue when I was driving it the same amount of time. So obviously I can take it to a dealer but I'm just curious if anyone has any advice and thank you. I couldn't find a different place to post this thread so I hope it's OK.
You should always keep it on the Factory Battery Saver trickle charger when not driving it. Have the dealer check the new battery.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Replaced our OE C7 battery a few months ago. Original went nearly 8 years, over 90,000 miles, faithfully using a Battery Tender. Was able to temporarily connect a spare battery to the underhood "hot" post during the time when no rear battery was connected, so the car did not experience any time without power. I realize most people advise that's not necessary, but I felt better doing it - it's how I've usually changed batteries since having to hunt for "radio codes" beginning years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts